Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Desmond Lee <de...@hotmail.com> on 2002/07/02 18:10:26 UTC

Re: install apache 2.0.39 over ontop of red hat apache install

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your help.

>I don't know about the nodeps flag. I'd just remove all of it. If you
>change
>your mind later, it no big deal to re-install it from the cdrom. To remove
>RPMs
>use 'rpm -e <package name>'.

I think this is a dumb question, but I couldn't find the answer in the
apache book that i have so i'm going to ask here: when i go 'rpm -e
apache-1.3.23'  i get
error: removing these packages would break dependencies:
        apache is needed by apacheconf-0.8.2-2
        webserver   is needed by mod_dav-1.0.3-5
        webserver is needed by mod_perl-1.26-5
        webserver is needed by mod_ssl-2.8.7-4
        webserver is needed by webalizer-2.01_10-1

How do i remove this dependencies or modules so that i can unistall the old
version of apache?

>Use rpm to remove it. It'll shut it down and delete it from your system.
>Then start the other one with '/usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl start'.
>If you want this to run when you reboot the computer put this command in
>the file /etc/rc.local.

Thus after removing the old version, i can make sure that the old version is
gone when i got 'httpd -v' which shoudl show me that version 2 of apache is
being used. Is that right?

Thanks again

Regards

Desmond

Re: install apache 2.0.39 over ontop of red hat apache install

Posted by Jeff Beard <je...@cyberxape.com>.
On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Desmond Lee wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> Thanks for your help.

Certainly.

[...]

> I think this is a dumb question, but I couldn't find the answer in the
> apache book that i have so i'm going to ask here: when i go 'rpm -e
> apache-1.3.23'  i get
> error: removing these packages would break dependencies:
>         apache is needed by apacheconf-0.8.2-2
>         webserver   is needed by mod_dav-1.0.3-5
>         webserver is needed by mod_perl-1.26-5
>         webserver is needed by mod_ssl-2.8.7-4
>         webserver is needed by webalizer-2.01_10-1
>
> How do i remove this dependencies or modules so that i can unistall the old
> version of apache?

Remove those packages first. Or at least that's what I do. I'm not an rpm
wizard. :)

[...]

> Thus after removing the old version, i can make sure that the old version is
> gone when i got 'httpd -v' which shoudl show me that version 2 of apache is
> being used. Is that right?

You will need to use the whole path to where apache 2.0 is installed unless
you have added it to your PATH environmental variable.

Without it in PATH:

	/usr/local/apache2/bin/httpd -v

To add it to your PATH (in bash):

	export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/apache2/bin

then

	httpd -v

--Jeff

--
Jeff Beard | Systems Architect, Programmer, Sysadmin
Contact    | jeff at cyberxape dot com