Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Geoff Callender <ge...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/01 14:01:01 UTC

[ANN] JumpStart 3.6: Wizards, Conversations, and more

Hi all,

JumpStart 3.6 is now available.  It's for Tapestry 5.0.11.  New in
this release:

	* Wizards - 3 styles explored: with form fragments, with components,
and with separate pages.
	* Conversations - implemented in the wizards to handle the Back and
Reload buttons and sessions shared by new windows.
	* Conversations List - shows your conversations and lets you jump to
them.
	* Session Display - see what objects are in your session.
	* Autocomplete Mixin - see it in action.
	* The Select component - new and better examples.

You'll find JumpStart at:

	http://files.doublenegative.com.au/jumpstart

The implementation of conversations is my own invention and has not
been used in anger.  I'm sure it could be improved, eg. with
annotations.  I pray that it doesn't have any holes in it, and I look
forward to any contributions that will help it along.

As always, comments and suggestions are encouraged. Be helpful or
brutal - I don't care which - because it all helps to make this stuff
more useful.

Cheers,

Geoff Callender

Re: [ANN] JumpStart 3.6: Wizards, Conversations, and more

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Not a lot beyond JavaDoc; my blog has a little bit of detail; the rest
is "documented" via unit tests and the CommitAfterWorker (in
tapestry-hibernate).

Oh ... and at the risk of Feeding the Troll; features are added based
on YAGNI.  Previously, there was not a compelling reason for AOP;
however, as the other Formos developers have been adding features,
they've strayed into more heavy use of Javassist.  Javassist is too
powerful and finicky a tool (even wrapped via ClassTransformation or
ClassFab) for a casual developer.  The Formos guys got things working,
but that's because I was available to give them some direct
assistance.  On the other hand, the method advice approach is super
simple.  In retrospect, several of the existing
ComponentClassTransformWorkers could be recoded using method advice.
I may, in 5.1, introduce field advice.

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 3:20 PM, Geoff Callender
<ge...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sounds interesting.  Any doco in the nightlies?
>

>  On 02/05/2008, at 5:17 AM, Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
>

> > I can't wait to see what you put together using the new method advice
> > support in 5.0.12; it makes doing interesting things with methods and
> > annotations much, much easier.
> >
> > On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 5:01 AM, Geoff Callender
> > <ge...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > JumpStart 3.6 is now available.  It's for Tapestry 5.0.11.  New in this
> > > release:
> > >
> > >       * Wizards - 3 styles explored: with form fragments, with
> components,
> > > and with separate pages.
> > >       * Conversations - implemented in the wizards to handle the Back
> and
> > > Reload buttons and sessions shared by new windows.
> > >       * Conversations List - shows your conversations and lets you jump
> > > them.
> > >       * Session Display - see what objects are in your session.
> > >       * Autocomplete Mixin - see it in action.
> > >       * The Select component - new and better examples.
> > >
> > > You'll find JumpStart at:
> > >
> > >       http://files.doublenegative.com.au/jumpstart
> > >
> > > The implementation of conversations is my own invention and has not been
> > > used in anger.  I'm sure it could be improved, eg. with annotations.  I
> pray
> > > that it doesn't have any holes in it, and I look forward to any
> > > contributions that will help it along.
> > >
> > > As always, comments and suggestions are encouraged. Be helpful or brutal
> -
> > > I don't care which - because it all helps to make this stuff more
> useful.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > Geoff Callender

> > --
> > Howard M. Lewis Ship
> >
> > Creator Apache Tapestry and Apache HiveMind

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Re: [ANN] JumpStart 3.6: Wizards, Conversations, and more

Posted by Geoff Callender <ge...@gmail.com>.

Posted by SergeEby <sd...@hotmail.com>.
Hi,

Read the tips on Geoff website:
      http://files.doublenegative.com.au/jumpstart

/Serge

Posted by CG <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

>  >  >
>  >  >  As always, comments and suggestions are encouraged. Be helpful or brutal -
>  >  > I don't care which - because it all helps to make this stuff more useful.
>  >  >
>  >  >  Cheers,
>  >  >
>  >  >  Geoff Callender
>  >  >
>  >  >  ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>  >  >  For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tapestry.apache.org
>  >  >
>  >  >
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >  --
>  >  Howard M. Lewis Ship
>  >
>  >  Creator Apache Tapestry and Apache HiveMind

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Re: [ANN] JumpStart 3.6: Wizards, Conversations, and more

Posted by Adam Zimowski <zi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adam Zimowski <zi...@gmail.com>.
Rob,

I'm on 5.0.11 right now, and I need to advice my page methods. Could
you help me with this? Can you tell me exactly how to do it with
Spring AOP? Please, be technical enough so that I can implement this
using your solution.

Thanks,
-adam

Posted by Jonathan Barker <jo...@gmail.com>.
Rob,

Glad to see you're still alive and well.  I'm still waiting for an answer to
my question: "Given that you have no intention of using Tapestry for serious
work, you do not give assistance to users, nor do you request assistance
from other users, why do you post to this list?"

I do wonder if you've ever taken CS101. I've taught a number of university
CS courses - second-year and above - so I have some experience here. Let's
cover some of the basics:
- Each assignment is different, so there is no backward compatibility to
break.
- In rare cases where there are dependencies between assignments, you're the
only one it affects, because other students can't use your code.
- Everybody is doing the same thing that no-one will ever actually use,
because the purpose is to evaluate some aspect of the student's learning.

What you call "after-thoughts" others might call "progress".  If you remove
"after-thoughts" from any project, you never get past version 1.0 and the
project stagnates.

If Tapestry is the result of giving beer to Howard, I have another reason to
like beer!

Jonathan

Posted by Rob Smeets <rb...@gmail.com>.
At least in the environment where I work, non of my team members have ever
violated CS101 like Howard constantly does. The guy doesn't even think and
design before he codes. Much of his working routine are based on after
thoughts. Thereby constantly breaking backwards compatibility. Probably most
of his ideas pop up after he'd sipped some buckets of beer into his belly.
They are just absurd ideas. I hope he releases T5 sooner and makes a release
announcement at theserverside.com. I would then go there and put the final
nail on Tapestry's coffin.
Let Howard dare to ask me technical questions. I would answer it for free. I

Posted by Adam Zimowski <zi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Smeets <rb...@gmail.com>.
Adam,

Posted by Adam Zimowski <zi...@gmail.com>.
A typical trollish Smeets, avoiding technical discussion. I will ask
you again, since you seem to know SO MUCH about AOP:

>You're bundling an AOP into T5 core- a mere webframework? This is insane.
> Howard, Webframework is simple and it seems you keep on over-engineering
> something this simple.

So I ask YOU AGAIN Rob:

Posted by Christian Edward Gruber <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Smeets <rb...@gmail.com>.
Howard,

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

<ge...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  JumpStart 3.6 is now available.  It's for Tapestry 5.0.11.  New in this
> release:
>
>         * Wizards - 3 styles explored: with form fragments, with components,
> and with separate pages.
>         * Conversations - implemented in the wizards to handle the Back and
> Reload buttons and sessions shared by new windows.
>         * Conversations List - shows your conversations and lets you jump to
> them.
>         * Session Display - see what objects are in your session.
>         * Autocomplete Mixin - see it in action.
>         * The Select component - new and better examples.
>
>  You'll find JumpStart at:
>
>         http://files.doublenegative.com.au/jumpstart
>
>  The implementation of conversations is my own invention and has not been
> used in anger.  I'm sure it could be improved, eg. with annotations.  I pray
> that it doesn't have any holes in it, and I look forward to any
> contributions that will help it along.
>
>  As always, comments and suggestions are encouraged. Be helpful or brutal -
> I don't care which - because it all helps to make this stuff more useful.
>
>  Cheers,
>
>  Geoff Callender

Howard M. Lewis Ship