Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Tegtmeier Nils (Platinion)" <Te...@platinion.de> on 2006/09/27 18:03:27 UTC

Problem with serving PDFs

Hello there,

we have a problem with serving PDFs that can be described as follows:
Sometimes the browser windows (IE) that is meant to contain the PDF stays
empty and hangs. If I then kill the Tomcat process (on a windows machine),
the PDF is displayed correctly and the browser window responds again. My wild
guess is that something went wrong with sending the response to the browser,
and that it hangs because it is waiting for a last missing chunk of the
response that is flushed when the tomcat process is killed. Both Tomcat and
Browser are on the same machine.
The OutputStream is flushed and closed, and as far as I can see all headers
are set appropriately. What's really mind-boggling is that we cannot
reproduce the problem in 100% of the cases (sometimes it happens after 3 PDFs
serverd, sometimes after 10, sometimes with the first).

An idea anyone what we should concentrate on in our diagnosis?