Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Ryan Blue <bl...@apache.org> on 2015/02/16 17:03:05 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Parquet Format 2.3.0 RC2

Hi everyone,

I propose RC2 to be released as official Apache Parquet 2.3.0 release.

A similar vote has passed in the podling, with 4 +1 votes and 0 -1 or +0
votes. (With one binding +1 from an IPMC member.)

The commit id is 7a6079ed5ddfa98a59cf8ac8728bcf5b0a1233b9
* This corresponds to the tag: apache-parquet-format-2.3.0-incubating
* https://github.com/apache/incubator-parquet-format/tree/7a6079ed
*
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/repo?p=incubator-parquet-format.git&a=commit&h=7a6079ed5ddfa98a59cf8ac8728bcf5b0a1233b9

The release tarball, signature, and checksums are here:
*
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/parquet/apache-parquet-format-2.3.0-incubating-rc2

You can find the KEYS file here:
* https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/parquet/KEYS

Binary artifacts are staged in Nexus here:
*
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/org/apache/parquet/parquet-format/

Parquet Format 2.3.0 is functionally identical to the 2.2.0 release, but
the classes have been moved to the org.apache.parquet package and the
maven groupId is now org.apache.parquet.

Please download, verify, and test. This vote will close on 19 Feb.

[ ] +1 Release this as Apache Parquet Format 2.3.0
[ ] +0
[ ] -1 Do not release this because...

--
Ryan Blue

[RESULT] [VOTE] Release Apache Parquet Format 2.3.0 RC2

Posted by Ryan Blue <bl...@cloudera.com>.
This release vote passes with 5 binding +1s, 1 non-binding +1, and 0 -1
or +0. Thanks for checking the release candidate and voting!

I've just looked more info the issue with the .sha file and it looks
like it is gzipped if I download it from SVN, but not if I check out the
RC folder and cat the file. Can someone verify this? If that's the case,
I think it must be a SVN problem?

Thanks everyone!

rb

Ryan Blue
Software Engineer
Cloudera, Inc.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Parquet Format 2.3.0 RC2

Posted by Chris Aniszczyk <ca...@gmail.com>.
+1 binding

verified sigs + tests pass

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 12:36 PM, Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> wrote:

> OK.  I will change my vote to +1.  The sha that Brock demonstrates is the
> same one that I saw when I was checking sums.
>
> I would *strongly* encourage the project to improve things before the next
> release by:
>
> - fix the sha has to not be compressed.  This is unconventional and thus
> not a good thing.  Anything that discourages the checking of a secure
> signature is a bad thing
>
> - add either a COMPILING or INSTALL file or more info in the README that
> describes the obscure method for compilation
>
> - check in the generated code or at least include it in the source artifact
> so that thrift and protoc are not necessary for a simple compilation.  It
> is better than downstream users have an easier experience than a hard
> experience is documented
>

> On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 10:58 AM, Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
> > [x] +1 Release this as Apache Parquet Format 2.3.0
> >
> > verified sigs, hashes, no jars, and inspected tarball.
> >
> > On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 8:03 AM, Ryan Blue <bl...@apache.org> wrote:
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >
> > > I propose RC2 to be released as official Apache Parquet 2.3.0 release.
> > >
> > > A similar vote has passed in the podling, with 4 +1 votes and 0 -1 or
> +0
> > > votes. (With one binding +1 from an IPMC member.)
> > >
> > > The commit id is 7a6079ed5ddfa98a59cf8ac8728bcf5b0a1233b9
> > > * This corresponds to the tag: apache-parquet-format-2.3.0-incubating
> > > * https://github.com/apache/incubator-parquet-format/tree/7a6079ed
> > > *
> > >

> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/repo?p=incubator-parquet-format.git&a=commit&h=7a6079ed5ddfa98a59cf8ac8728bcf5b0a1233b9
> > >
> > > The release tarball, signature, and checksums are here:
> > > *
> > >

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/parquet/apache-parquet-format-2.3.0-incubating-rc2
> > >
> > > You can find the KEYS file here:
> > > * https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/parquet/KEYS
> > >
> > > Binary artifacts are staged in Nexus here:
> > > *
> > >

> https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/org/apache/parquet/parquet-format/
> > >
> > > Parquet Format 2.3.0 is functionally identical to the 2.2.0 release,
> but
> > the
> > > classes have been moved to the org.apache.parquet package and the maven
> > > groupId is now org.apache.parquet.
> > >
> > > Please download, verify, and test. This vote will close on 19 Feb.
> > >
> > > [ ] +1 Release this as Apache Parquet Format 2.3.0
> > > [ ] +0
> > > [ ] -1 Do not release this because...
> > >
> > > --
> > > Ryan Blue

Cheers,

Chris Aniszczyk
http://aniszczyk.org
+1 512 961 6719

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Parquet Format 2.3.0 RC2

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Changing my vote from +0 to +1 binding.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Parquet Format 2.3.0 RC2

Posted by Jake Farrell <jf...@apache.org>.
+1 binding

verified signatures, hashes, no binaries, compiles and tests pass

-Jake

Fwd: [VOTE] Release Apache Parquet Format 2.3.0 RC2

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Checking this release would be a nice way for Drill devs to help a sibling
project.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Checking in the generated code and only conditionally running thrift would
make checking this much easier.

Posted by Julien Le Dem <ju...@twitter.com.INVALID>.
You need thrift 0.7

Posted by Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com>.
On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 9:45 PM, Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 5:02 PM, Ryan Blue <bl...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
>> In the mean time, if you take a look at the .travis.yml file, you can see
>> the preparation steps used to run CI jobs. That's what I usually point
>> people at instead of maintaining it in two places, but I agree that
>> shouldn't be the solution.
>>

> Does that answer the question about the checksum?

The sha file is somehow gzcompressed. e.g.:

$ file apache-parquet-format-2.3.0-incubating.tar.gz.sha
apache-parquet-format-2.3.0-incubating.tar.gz.sha: gzip compressed
data, from Unix
$ gzcat apache-parquet-format-2.3.0-incubating.tar.gz.sha
a3dee7852d670db575ab00af8386fc6356f96a01
apache-parquet-format-2.3.0-incubating.tar.gz
$ sha1sum apache-parquet-format-2.3.0-incubating.tar.gz

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan Blue <bl...@cloudera.com>.
On 02/16/2015 11:16 AM, Ted Dunning wrote:
> I have downloaded this release and verified the signature and md5
> checksum.  The SHA checksum is a binary file and it isn't obvious to me how
> to check it.  How was it produced?
>
> I have verified that the LICENSE and NOTICE files are present and seem
> well-formed.  I have verified that the DISCLAIMER is present and
> well-formed.
>
> I was unable to compile the code, apparently due to a thrift version
> mismatch of some kind.  The README does not specify pre-requisites to
> compilation, but simply states that [mvn package] should suffice.  It did
> not suffice for me.  Here is the error message:
>
> [ERROR] thrift failed output:
>> [ERROR] thrift failed error: !!! Unrecognized option: -out
>> Usage: thrift [options] file
>

> Painful as it is to say this, I am -1 on this release unless somebody can
> explain some simple process to resolve my issues.  Those issues are:
>
> 1) What format is used for the SHA checksum?  How is it expected that I
> should check it?
>
> 2) What are the true pre-requisites for compilation?
>
> I would be willing to upgrade my vote on this release if the checksum is
> corrected and the README is updated for future releases (and I am told how
> to compile things now).  Since the only change that I am requesting to this
> release is the checksum file, it should be possible to move forward without
> cutting a new release file.

As Julien noted, you need to have thrift 0.7.0 installed. You also need
protoc 2.5.0 installed for protobuf. I'll add more information in the
README for this.

In the mean time, if you take a look at the .travis.yml file, you can
see the preparation steps used to run CI jobs. That's what I usually
point people at instead of maintaining it in two places, but I agree
that shouldn't be the solution.

Thanks for taking a look at this!

rb

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.