Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by Matteo Merli <mm...@apache.org> on 2017/08/03 23:22:28 UTC

Feedback on release

[ Starting a new thread to detach from vote ]

> Masakazu Kitajo to dev 5:53 AM
> +0
>
> Ran standalone server on macOS 10.12 / Java 8, with Java client.

Thanks Masakazu for testing thoroughly!

> I saw lots of warnings and a few errors during building from the source
> package, I was able to run standalone server and successfully transferred
> message with pulsar-client though. It seems they are not critical. I'll
> create issues for each warnings and errors later.

Yes, there are many warnings during the build and they've been there for
quite
a while. I suspect at least few of them will cause some problem in the
future
when moving to Java 9.
Please go ahead and create issues for all of them (I think there are also
some
javadoc related ones). We should try to get them fixed (at least most of
them)
for the next release.

> Also, I followed Getting started on our documentation, however, the steps
> to build are only on README file. It's not user friendly. We should
improve
> it before announcing the release.

You're right, in the page we have the links to download the "src" and "bin"
release,
but all the remainder is relative to the "bin" release.

What do people would prefer there? Dropping the link to src release in the
getting
started page or add instructions to compile?

Matteo
--
Matteo Merli
<mm...@apache.org>

Re: Feedback on release

Posted by Matteo Merli <mm...@apache.org>.
Created issue https://github.com/apache/incubator-pulsar/issues/639

Additionally, we will have to fix the instructions once the 1.19 release
would be available, to point to the Apache dist and mirrors.

Once the release is (eventually) in place, we'll update the website prior
to release announcement.

Matteo

On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 6:06 AM Masakazu Kitajo <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> --
Matteo Merli
<mm...@apache.org>

Re: Feedback on release

Posted by Masakazu Kitajo <ma...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 8:22 AM, Matteo Merli <mm...@apache.org> wrote:

> [ Starting a new thread to detach from vote ]
>

> > Masakazu Kitajo to dev 5:53 AM
> > +0
> >
> > Ran standalone server on macOS 10.12 / Java 8, with Java client.
> >

> Thanks Masakazu for testing thoroughly!
>
> > I saw lots of warnings and a few errors during building from the source
> > package, I was able to run standalone server and successfully transferred
> > message with pulsar-client though. It seems they are not critical. I'll
> > create issues for each warnings and errors later.
>
> Yes, there are many warnings during the build and they've been there for
> quite
> a while. I suspect at least few of them will cause some problem in the
> future
> when moving to Java 9.
> Please go ahead and create issues for all of them (I think there are also
> some
> javadoc related ones). We should try to get them fixed (at least most of
> them)
> for the next release.

Right. I haven't looked into the detail yet but some of them are use of
deprecated methods and javadoc related stuff. Since the release of Java 9
was postponed to September, we still have enough time to get them fixed.
http://www.infoworld.com/article/3198912/java/java-9-delayed-due-to-modularity-controversy.html

> > Also, I followed Getting started on our documentation, however, the steps
> > to build are only on README file. It's not user friendly. We should
> improve
> > it before announcing the release.
>
> You're right, in the page we have the links to download the "src" and "bin"
> release,
> but all the remainder is relative to the "bin" release.
>
> What do people would prefer there? Dropping the link to src release in the
> getting
> started page or add instructions to compile?

It's a kind of dilemma because our official release is source package but
binary package absolutely fits for getting started.

A reason I was bit confused is that there are a link for source package and
a link for JDK (not JRE) on system requirements section but the following
section doesn't mention about how to build. So, personally, I'm fine if
there's a link for either a page or a section that contains instructions to
build. I think the actual place doesn't matter if people could find the
link easily (even if the place is the bottom of the page). Of course, it
would be better if people could find the instruction on the documentation
(not on GitHub) for completeness of the documentation.

Thanks,
Masakazu

Re: Feedback on release

Posted by Matteo Merli <ma...@gmail.com>.
> Sure. Build, installation and run instructions are critical. I know you
have bits of these in the GitHub wiki.

Yes, in the top level README.md file there are the instruction to compile
and start the standalone server. Though I've avoided to include more info
than that and just linked back to website.

In the getting started first page (
https://pulsar.incubator.apache.org/docs/latest/getting-started/LocalCluster/
),
there are instructions to download both src and bin packages.

The instrutions, though, don't mention to compile it:
----
# Source release
$ tar xvf pulsar-1.18-src.tar.gz
$ cd pulsar-1.18
-----

We should mention the command to compile. Also, probably we should just
have 2 subsctions there: src release and bin release.

On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 4:59 PM Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> the
> >
> > Can we add the link and then below that add a link to the instructions
> > in the README?
>
> Sure. Build, installation and run instructions are critical. I know you
> have bits of these in the GitHub wiki.
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>

> > On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 4:49 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>
> wrote:
> >> Hi -
> >>
> >> It is important to keep in mind that the official release of an Apache
> project is a source release and that the binary packages are convenience.
> >>
> >> I would say that the instructions need to be available for both types
> of downloads. The source needs to be as easy or easier to find than the
> binary.
> >>
> >> I’m willing to test any instructions. I’m on a Mac Sierra 10.12.6.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Dave

> source
> transferred