Posted to imperius-dev@incubator.apache.org by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com> on 2009/01/22 21:56:35 UTC

Imperius Community Status

Despite a few minor promises (e.g. the release discussion which seems
to have died out...), I'm seeing very little in the way of progress
within the Imperius community.

I'm starting to consider if the Imperius podling should be retired.
This isn't a statement about the technology nor about the individuals
that are involved. Simply that we don't have the necessary energy
needed to keep the community moving forward.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong and I'm certainly not proposing any
immediate action -- merely raising my concerns.

What are your thoughts?

--kevan

Re: Additional function for contribution

Posted by David Wood <da...@us.ibm.com>.
Certainly we haven't changed the policy (SPL) syntax, although we have
added a header that appears in SPL comments.  The header (in JSON) format
provides metadata about the policy (name, description, name/value pairs,
type, etc),  This metadata, along with import information, is used to
match a PEP's evaluation request with applicable policies.  We've recently
done some performance analysis also, and it shows we can get about 12K
policies/sec (memory repository) and 4K policies/sec (JDBC).

Yes, I'd be interested to hear what others thinks too.  Look forward to
hearing from you.

David Wood
Network Server System Software Group
IBM TJ Watson Research Center
dawood@us.ibm.com
914-784-5123 (office), 914-396-6515 (mobile)

From:
Neeraj Joshi/Durham/IBM@IBMUS
To:
imperius-dev@incubator.apache.org
Date:
01/23/2009 11:24 AM
Re: Additional function for contribution

Hi David,
This looks good to me! I like the concept of having PEP and PDP. Looks
like the policy syntax
is unchanged here only the usage has changed.

I would be interested in what Reza and Mark have to say based on their
experience of using Imperius
and how much of an effort it would be for them to move to the new model ?

In any case I think this would be a great addition to Imperius.

Thanks
Neeraj
"The light at the end of the tunnel...may be you"

Neeraj Joshi
WebSphere XD - Compute Grid
AIM, IBM
Apache Imperius - http://incubator.apache.org/imperius

From:
David Wood/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
To:
imperius-dev@incubator.apache.org
Date:
01/23/2009 09:41 AM
Re: Additional function for contribution

Ok,  I'll try sending it as a zip file...

David Wood
Network Server System Software Group
IBM TJ Watson Research Center
dawood@us.ibm.com
914-784-5123 (office), 914-396-6515 (mobile)

From:
David Wood/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
To:
imperius-dev@incubator.apache.org
Date:
01/23/2009 08:59 AM
Subject:
Additional function for contribution

Given the recent "activity" discussion, perhaps now is the time to
repropose some work we've done at IBM to layer additional functionality on

top of what is already in Imperius.  The attached is non-confidential and
describes our work...

David Wood
Network Server System Software Group
IBM TJ Watson Research Center
dawood@us.ibm.com
914-784-5123 (office), 914-396-6515 (mobile)
[attachment "WPML-Dev-Guide.zip" deleted by Neeraj Joshi/Durham/IBM]

Re: Additional function for contribution

Posted by "Mark A. Carlson" <Ma...@Sun.COM>.
OK. How about we do the freeze, tag it, then add David's
code, then do a release?

-- mark

--
<http://www.sun.com> 	* Mark A. Carlson *
Sr. Architect

*Systems Group*
Phone x69559 / 303-223-6139
Email Mark.Carlson@Sun.COM

Re: [PleaseVote] Re: Additional function for contribution

Posted by David Wood <da...@us.ibm.com>.
I agree that a post-release merge would be best, although I would
recommend another release when we get the new code merged in.   Also, I
will need to do some code cleanups, which may take a week or two, before
submitting.

David Wood
Policy Technologies Group
IBM TJ Watson Research Center
dawood@us.ibm.com
914-784-5123 (office), 914-396-6515 (mobile)

From:
Neeraj Joshi/Durham/IBM@IBMUS
To:
imperius-dev@incubator.apache.org
Date:
01/30/2009 04:36 PM
Subject:
[...]

From:
David Wood/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
To:
imperius-dev@incubator.apache.org
Date:
01/29/2009 12:40 PM
[...]

From:
"Mark A. Carlson" <Ma...@Sun.COM>
To:
imperius-dev@incubator.apache.org
Date:
01/29/2009 12:28 PM

Posted by Neeraj Joshi <jn...@us.ibm.com>.
[...]

From:
David Wood/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
To:
imperius-dev@incubator.apache.org
Date:
01/29/2009 12:40 PM
[...]

From:
"Mark A. Carlson" <Ma...@Sun.COM>
To:
imperius-dev@incubator.apache.org
Date:
01/29/2009 12:28 PM

Posted by David Wood <da...@us.ibm.com>.
[...]

From:
"Mark A. Carlson" <Ma...@Sun.COM>
To:
imperius-dev@incubator.apache.org
Date:
01/29/2009 12:28 PM

Posted by "Mark A. Carlson" <Ma...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by David Wood <da...@us.ibm.com>.
And also, I may not have been clear, but just to be sure, we would be
interested CONTRIBUTE this additional layer of function to Imperius.  What
do people think?  If more information is needed, please let me know what
you'd  like to see and how we can get this discussion going (if we don't
get a discussion going, I'm not sure it bodes too well for this project).
Hope to hear from you soon.

David Wood
Network Server System Software Group
IBM TJ Watson Research Center
dawood@us.ibm.com
914-784-5123 (office), 914-396-6515 (mobile)

From:
Neeraj Joshi/Durham/IBM@IBMUS
To:
imperius-dev@incubator.apache.org
Date:
01/23/2009 11:24 AM
Re: Additional function for contribution

Hi David,
This looks good to me! I like the concept of having PEP and PDP. Looks
like the policy syntax
is unchanged here only the usage has changed.

I would be interested in what Reza and Mark have to say based on their
experience of using Imperius
and how much of an effort it would be for them to move to the new model ?

In any case I think this would be a great addition to Imperius.

Thanks
Neeraj
"The light at the end of the tunnel...may be you"

Neeraj Joshi
WebSphere XD - Compute Grid
AIM, IBM
Apache Imperius - http://incubator.apache.org/imperius

From:
David Wood/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
To:
imperius-dev@incubator.apache.org
Date:
01/23/2009 09:41 AM
Re: Additional function for contribution

Ok,  I'll try sending it as a zip file...

David Wood
Network Server System Software Group
IBM TJ Watson Research Center
dawood@us.ibm.com
914-784-5123 (office), 914-396-6515 (mobile)

From:
David Wood/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
To:
imperius-dev@incubator.apache.org
Date:
01/23/2009 08:59 AM
Subject:

Posted by Neeraj Joshi <jn...@us.ibm.com>.
Hi David,
This looks good to me! I like the concept of having PEP and PDP. Looks
like the policy syntax
is unchanged here only the usage has changed.

I would be interested in what Reza and Mark have to say based on their
experience of using Imperius
and how much of an effort it would be for them to move to the new model ?

In any case I think this would be a great addition to Imperius.

Thanks
Neeraj
"The light at the end of the tunnel...may be you"

Neeraj Joshi
WebSphere XD - Compute Grid
AIM, IBM
Apache Imperius - http://incubator.apache.org/imperius

From:
David Wood/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
To:
imperius-dev@incubator.apache.org
Date:
01/23/2009 09:41 AM
Re: Additional function for contribution

Ok,  I'll try sending it as a zip file...

David Wood
Network Server System Software Group
IBM TJ Watson Research Center
dawood@us.ibm.com
914-784-5123 (office), 914-396-6515 (mobile)

From:
David Wood/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
To:
imperius-dev@incubator.apache.org
Date:
01/23/2009 08:59 AM
Subject:

Posted by David Wood <da...@us.ibm.com>.
Ok,  I'll try sending it as a zip file...

David Wood
Network Server System Software Group
IBM TJ Watson Research Center
dawood@us.ibm.com
914-784-5123 (office), 914-396-6515 (mobile)

From:
David Wood/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
To:
imperius-dev@incubator.apache.org
Date:
01/23/2009 08:59 AM
Subject:

Posted by Neeraj Joshi <jn...@us.ibm.com>.
Hey David,
I don't see any attachment?

Neeraj
"The light at the end of the tunnel...may be you"

Neeraj Joshi
WebSphere XD - Compute Grid
AIM, IBM
Apache Imperius - http://incubator.apache.org/imperius

From:
David Wood/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
To:
imperius-dev@incubator.apache.org
Date:
01/23/2009 08:56 AM
Subject:

Re: Imperius Community Status

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 22, 2009, at 11:59 PM, Mark A. Carlson wrote:

> Like I said during the release discussion, we are actively
> porting this to OpenSolaris and will be putting back changes
> that are required for that port. Email traffic is not a reliable
> indicator of "activity" IMHO.

Heh. Good that we're having this discussion. At Apache, email traffic
is practically the *only* sign of *community* activity. There may be
*activity*, here, but it's your own private activity, not the
community's.

I'd want to see discussions of changes that are being made, discussion
of future directions for the project, true progress on creating a
release, and consistent communications among community members. All of
these need to be on the Imperius mailing lists.

Until I see signs of the above, I have serious doubts about the
potential for this community to ever graduate from the Incubator.

I'm communicating my concerns in the hope that they will be addressed.
There's time to address these concerns... As always, would be
interested to hear from other mentors and committers...

--kevan

Re: Imperius Community Status

Posted by "Mark A. Carlson" <Ma...@Sun.COM>.