Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Bruce Altner <ba...@hq.nasa.gov> on 2003/01/14 00:18:16 UTC

Using Flash MX as a front end

Greetings:

I have been asked to refactor my successfully deployed Turbine/Velocity
application so that another customer could reuse most of the code but put a
glitzier front end on it using Flash MX. To accomplish this I have been
investigating the Flash Remoting MX tool, which provides a "web services"
gateway between the Java class files and Flash's ActionScript objects.
Initial tests are very promising but I have two questions that I'm hoping
folks more experienced than I can help with:

a) Design pattern?

Rather than rewriting all the logic code, I think the right way to do this
is to build an interface layer that will allow me to use the same code with
either Velocity templates OR Flash Actionscripts, depending on
configuration parameters in TRProps. My guess is that this is a pretty
common situation in the OO world so there is probably an existing design
pattern that addresses this need directly. Adapter? Abstract Factory? I'm
kinda  a beginner with patterns but this seems like a situation tailor made
for picking the right one. Ideas?

b) Vector and ResultSet

For the deployed application I'm using Criteria for all my db calls and
wind up putting Vectors and Hashmaps into the context to be processed by
Velocity. But Flash Remoting provides a ResultSet actionscript object that
maps directly to javax.sql.ResultSet so for the new UI I'd probably want to
send ResultSet objects back and forth. However, I'd like to avoid rewriting
all the queries that presently return vectors (e.g.
xxxxPeer.doSelect(criteria)). So, is there some way to magically transform
the output from Peer class-based queries into javax.sql.ResultSet objects
or is that too farfetched?

Thanks, in advance, for suggestions on either issue.

Bruce

Re: Using Flash MX as a front end

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Bruce Altner <ba...@hq.nasa.gov> writes:

>Greetings:

>I have been asked to refactor my successfully deployed Turbine/Velocity
>application so that another customer could reuse most of the code but put a
>glitzier front end on it using Flash MX. To accomplish this I have been
>investigating the Flash Remoting MX tool, which provides a "web services"
>gateway between the Java class files and Flash's ActionScript objects.
>Initial tests are very promising but I have two questions that I'm hoping
>folks more experienced than I can help with:

Hi,

quite a while ago (you might have to dig deep in the archive), Jason
van Zyl posted the URL of a flash driven site which uses
Turbine. There might be some java code available to support you here.

	Regards
		Henning

--
Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen       -- Geschaeftsfuehrer
INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH     hps@intermeta.de

Am Schwabachgrund 22  Fon.: 09131 / 50654-0   info@intermeta.de
D-91054 Buckenhof     Fax.: 09131 / 50654-20