Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com> on 2006/11/14 05:12:27 UTC

[VOTE] Graduate OFBiz Podling

The Apache Open For Business Project community has voted internally
and agreed on readiness to graduate from the Apache Incubator based
on the Incubator Policy exit guidelines here:

http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Exiting
+the+Incubator

The vote passed with 8 binding +1 votes, 20 non-binding +1 votes, and
no +0 or -1 votes.

My understand of what this vote means is that based on the incubator
policy and what we learned through the process of getting a test
snapshot release approved, as a PPMC we believe that OFBiz has now
satisfied all requirements for graduation from the Apache Incubator
and there are no outstanding issues related to this left to resolve.

Based on early discussion about OFBiz at the ASF (around the time
OFBiz entered the incubator) the best place for the project seems to
be as a top level project (TLP). This is a separate thing to vote on,
so I mention it here for information purposes only.

As we understand it the next step in the process is to request a vote
in the Incubator community to get graduation approval by the
Incubator PMC. So, here we are...

Everyone is welcome to vote, and we appreciate the expression of
support and interest, though the Incubator PMC member votes are the
only binding ones.

Please cast your votes:

[ ] +1 Graduate OFBiz Podling
[ ] +0  Abstain
[ ] -1 Do not Graduate OFBiz Podling

For those reviewing the project there are URLs of resources with more
information about it below.

-David

The project status page is here:
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/ofbiz.html

The project web site home page is here:
http://incubator.apache.org/ofbiz/

For information about the Test Snapshot 5 Release, including download
links, see:
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/Apache+OFBiz+Incubating+4.0.0
+Test+Snapshot+Release

Re: [VOTE] Graduate OFBiz Podling

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On 11/13/06, David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com> wrote:
> The Apache Open For Business Project community has voted internally
> and agreed on readiness to graduate from the Apache Incubator based
> on the Incubator Policy exit guidelines here:
<snip />
> Please cast your votes:
>
> [ ] +1 Graduate OFBiz Podling
> [ ] +0  Abstain
> [ ] -1 Do not Graduate OFBiz Podling

+1 enthusiastically.

Yoav

Re: [VOTE] Graduate OFBiz Podling

Posted by David Welton <da...@gmail.com>.
> [ ] +1 Graduate OFBiz Podling
> [ ] +0  Abstain
> [ ] -1 Do not Graduate OFBiz Podling

+1

I think OFBiz is a fine open source community and project, and have
been consistently impressed by the people involved, and the job
they've done both technically and in dealing with the necessary
bureaucracy.

--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
 - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: [VOTE][RESULT] Graduate OFBiz Podling

Posted by David Welton <da...@gmail.com>.
> just one question about the next step for OFBiz in Incubator: we know
> that David Welton (on behalf of the Incubator) has already sent the text
> with the board resolution to the ASF Board... is there a way to know if
> the ASF Board will vote on it during the next meeting (happening, if I'm
> not wrong, on 20, December)?

I'm on the board list, as is Yoav, so we'll keep tabs on the situation there.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Hi all,

just one question about the next step for OFBiz in Incubator: we know
that David Welton (on behalf of the Incubator) has already sent the text
with the board resolution to the ASF Board... is there a way to know if
the ASF Board will vote on it during the next meeting (happening, if I'm
not wrong, on 20, December)?

Thanks,

Jacopo

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.
Here are the results for this OFBiz Podling Graduation vote on this
mailing list. Also below is the most recent copy of the board
resolution draft, including changes based on feedback from Noel, etc.

+1 - 7 (Binding): Yoav Shapira, David N. Welton, J. Aaron Farr, Leo
Simons, Robert Burrel Donkin, Davanum Srinivas, Noel Bergman
+1 - 2 (Non-binding): David E. Jones, Christian Geisert
+0 - 0
-1 - 0

Thanks again to everyone who have helped get OFBiz to this point. I
have been very impressed with the activity and interest by many
people throughout the incubation process and speaking for others who
have been involved with OFBiz for years we are looking forward
working more with and in the foundation.

-David

==================================
open-source software related to enterprise automation, for
distribution at no charge to the public.

Committee (PMC), to be known as the "The Apache Open For
Business Project" (also known as "Apache OFBiz"), be and
hereby is established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation;
and be it further

RESOLVED, that The Apache Open For Business Project be and
hereby is responsible for the creation and maintenance of
a software project related to generic enterprise information
automation such as enterprise resource planning, customer
relationship management, materials requirements planning,
enterprise asset management, enterprise content management
and electronic commerce that can be used as a basis for
custom solutions, industry specific products, and other
higher level systems.

RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Open For
Business" be and hereby is created, the person holding such
office to serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as
the chair of The Apache Open For Business Project, and to have
primary responsibility for management of the projects within
the scope of responsibility of The Apache Open For Business
Project; and be it further

hereby are appointed to serve as the initial members of The
Apache Open For Business Project:

   * David E. Jones     (jonesde@apache.org)
   * Jacopo Cappellato  (jacopoc@apache.org)
   * Si Chen 	       (sichen@apache.org)
   * Andy Zeneski       (jaz@apache.org)
   * Hans Bakker        (hansbak@apache.org)
   * Al Byers 	       (byersa@apache.org)
   * Yoav Shapira       (yoavs@apache.org)
   * David Welton       (davidw@apache.org)

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that David E. Jones be
and hereby is appointed to the office of Vice President, Open
For Business Project, to serve in accordance with and subject to
the direction of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the
Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal or
disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it
further

RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Open For Business Project be
and hereby is tasked with the migration and rationalization of
the Apache Incubator Open For Business podling; and be it
further

RESOLVED, that all responsibility pertaining to the Apache
Incubator Open For Business podling encumbered upon the Apache
Incubator PMC are hereafter discharged.

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On Nov 14, 2006, at 5:12 AM, David E Jones wrote:
> Please cast your votes:
>
> [ ] +1 Graduate OFBiz Podling
> [ ] +0  Abstain
> [ ] -1 Do not Graduate OFBiz Podling

I think this time I'll ignore all procedural thingies and just
enthousiastically vote

+1

great work, peeps!

Do let me know if I should vote again at a future point in time.
It'll probably be +1 once more ;-)

LSD

Re: [VOTE] Graduate OFBiz Podling

Posted by Christian Geisert <ch...@isu-gmbh.de>.
David E Jones schrieb:

> The Apache Open For Business Project community has voted internally  and
> agreed on readiness to graduate from the Apache Incubator based  on the
> Incubator Policy exit guidelines here:

[..]

> Please cast your votes:

+1

Great diverse community which worked really hard to make this happen.

--
Christian

Re: RE: [VOTE] Graduate OFBiz Podling

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.
On 11/14/06, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:

> As for my own vote, -1 on a procedural basis:
>
> > Based on early discussion about OFBiz at the ASF (around the time
> > OFBiz entered the incubator) the best place for the project seems
> > to be as a top level project (TLP). This is a separate thing to
> > vote on, so I mention it here for information purposes only.
>
> As has been discussed, the Incubator PMC would want to see the proposal that
> is to be put before the Board, so please submit one, and I'll revise my
> vote.

Yes, this vote should be considered provisional based on approval of a
board resolution for an OFBiz TLP.  I'm working on such a resolution
right now but it's not going to get into this month's board meeting
anyway.

Otherwise I'm with Yoav, enthusiastically voting +1.

> Otherwise, at first glance, things look pretty good.  The STATUS file
> (http://incubator.apache.org/projects/ofbiz.html) may or may not be entirely
> accurate (I haven't cross-referenced the Committer list, for example), but
> on the face of it, it is as complete as any I've seen lately.

The OFBiz community has done an exceptional job in this respect.

--
  jaaron

Re: [VOTE] Graduate OFBiz Podling

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 11/14/06, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
> Which part of the fact that only Incubator PMC member votes are binding
> isn't clear?  So far you have two (2).  Again, so far.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but the vote on the OFBiz list was clearly about
internally deciding to request graduation rather than the real
graduation vote (which would be this thread). In that context it makes
perfect sense that the binding votes were those of the OFBiz PPMC.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: RE: [VOTE] Graduate OFBiz Podling

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.
On 11/14/06, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:

> At this time you have, or will have, the required number of votes.  We just
> need to see the Board resolution.

I just sent a draft to the OFBiz mailing list.  We'll have a
resolution posted here soon.

--
  jaaron

Re: [VOTE] Graduate OFBiz Podling

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.
On Nov 22, 2006, at 8:06 AM, Yoav Shapira wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm guessing we'll close this vote next Monday, after the long
> holiday weekend?

Because activity has slowed on this vote I was thinking of announcing
the result today, but there is no hurry so Monday is fine.

-David

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On 11/20/06, robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> or perhaps not: even if the formal name is Apache OFBiz, i suppose
> that the community could brand itself as 'Apache OFBiz - The Open For
> Business Project'
>
> (anyone see any issues with that?)

Let the community decide, IMO.  If they want their full name to be the
'Apache Open For Business Project' or 'Apache OFBiz', that's great.
Though, I guess I'd prefer to keep acronyms out of project names
(especially if they've always referred to themselves by the full
name)...  *shrug*  -- justin

RE: [VOTE] Graduate OFBiz Podling

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> just to be sure to understand your opinion about this vote: are you
> still contrary to approve the graduation of OFBiz

Nope, I'm good.  :-)

	--- Noel

Re: [VOTE] Graduate OFBiz Podling

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Hi Noel,

just to be sure to understand your opinion about this vote: are you
still contrary to approve the graduation of OFBiz or the modifications
we did to the proposal (based on your feedback) for the Board are enough
  to change your vote?

Thanks for your help,

Jacopo

(one of the OFBiz's committers)

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.
On Nov 20, 2006, at 1:21 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> My feedback (YMMV):
>
>> to be known as the "The Apache Open For Business Project"
>> (also known as "Apache OFBiz")
>
> I suppose that the Board can make a determination, but I think that
> Apache
> OFBiz is OK, whereas "The Apache Open For Business Project" might be
> confusing, e.g., would that be confused with some sort of portal for
> corporate partnership.

The full name of OFBiz has been "The Open For Business Project" since
May 2001 when it was started. The proposed name is simply the
previous name with "Apache" added in.

I suppose it would be possible to change the name at this point, but
it would be a pretty big change for the project. If the board feels
it is a problem we can certainly do something about it, but I'd
rather wait and see than try to change it beforehand because it would
be such a big change.

>> RESOLVED, that The Apache Open For Business Project be and
>> hereby is responsible for the creation and maintenance of
>> software related to generic enterprise information automation
>
> "Responsible for the creation and maintenance of a software project
> related
> to ..."  In other words, it doesn't have exclusive oversight for
> the problem
> domain, just a particular solution.

Sounds good, I'll change the wording to include that.

>> RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Open For Business Project be
>> and hereby is tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws
>
> I don't know where projects keep coming up with this idea
> (actually, I do:
> recycling someone else's mistake).  There is one set of Bylaws for
> the ASF.
> Project level bylaws amount to navel gazing, and are invalid.

Good enough. That paragraph is now removed.

Thanks for your feedback Noel. An updated draft is included below.

-David

==================================
[...]

For Business, to serve in accordance with and subject to the

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
My feedback (YMMV):

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.
On Nov 14, 2006, at 7:15 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> At this time you have, or will have, the required number of votes.
> We just
> need to see the Board resolution.

I think we've finally settled on everything for the board resolution
(see below). We appreciate everyone's patience on this and welcome
any feedback.

At this point I guess the thing to do would be to give it a few more
days before announcing vote results since this really needs to be
included in consideration for the vote, and as has been commented on
it should have been in place before calling for the vote.

-David

==================================
open-source software related to enterprise automation, for
distribution at no charge to the public.

Committee (PMC), to be known as the "The Apache Open For
Business Project" (also known as "Apache OFBiz"), be and
hereby is established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation;
and be it further

RESOLVED, that The Apache Open For Business Project be and
hereby is responsible for the creation and maintenance of
software related to generic enterprise information automation
such as enterprise resource planning, customer relationship
management, materials requirements planning, enterprise
asset management, enterprise content management and
electronic commerce that can be used as a basis for custom
solutions, industry specific products, and other higher
level systems.

RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Open For
Business" be and hereby is created, the person holding such
office to serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as
the chair of The Apache Open For Business Project, and to have
primary responsibility for management of the projects within
the scope of responsibility of The Apache Open For Business
Project; and be it further

hereby are appointed to serve as the initial members of The
Apache Open For Business Project:

   * David E. Jones     (jonesde@apache.org)
   * Jacopo Cappellato  (jacopoc@apache.org)
   * Si Chen 	       (sichen@apache.org)
   * Andy Zeneski       (jaz@apache.org)
   * Hans Bakker        (hansbak@apache.org)
   * Al Byers 	       (byersa@apache.org)
   * Yoav Shapira       (yoavs@apache.org)
   * David Welton       (davidw@apache.org)

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that David E. Jones be
and hereby is appointed to the office of Vice President, Open
For Business, to serve in accordance with and subject to the
direction of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the
Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal or
disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it
further

RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Open For Business Project be
and hereby is tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws
intended to encourage open development and increased
participation in the Open For Business Project; and be it

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Yoav Shapira wrote:

> > Which part of the fact that only Incubator PMC member votes are binding
> > isn't clear?  So far you have two (2).  Again, so far.

> My understanding is that for the vote that took place on ofbiz-dev, we
> were counting OFBiz PPMC member votes as binding.

Binding has a specific meaning, and only PMC votes are binding.

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On 11/14/06, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
> > The binding votes are from David E. Jones, Hans Bakker, Si Chen,
> > Al Byers, Jacques Le Roux, Jacopo Cappellato, A. Zeneski, David
> > Welton (a mentor), and myself (also a mentor), for a total of 9
> > (not 8).
>
> Which part of the fact that only Incubator PMC member votes are binding
> isn't clear?  So far you have two (2).  Again, so far.

My understanding is that for the vote that took place on ofbiz-dev, we
were counting OFBiz PPMC member votes as binding.  That's how we ended
up with 8.  (It was indeed 8, not 9, my mistake above, sorry).

For the Incubator PMC vote currently under way, I understand that only
Incubator PMC members' votes are binding.

Are you saying that even for the PPMC vote, only Incubator PMC votes
are binding?

Yoav

RE: [VOTE] Graduate OFBiz Podling

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Yoav Shapira wrote:

> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > I do not see 8 binding votes (yet).

> The voting thread from ofbiz-dev@incubator.apache.org is available at

Yes, I reviewed the entire thread looking.

> The binding votes are from David E. Jones, Hans Bakker, Si Chen,
> Al Byers, Jacques Le Roux, Jacopo Cappellato, A. Zeneski, David
> Welton (a mentor), and myself (also a mentor), for a total of 9
> (not 8).

Which part of the fact that only Incubator PMC member votes are binding
isn't clear?  So far you have two (2).  Again, so far.

> > As has been discussed, the Incubator PMC would want to see the proposal
> > that is to be put before the Board, so please submit one, and I'll
> > revise my vote.

> You're right, we need to get that proposal together.  Will do shortly.

I look forward to seeing it.

	--- Noel

Re: [VOTE] Graduate OFBiz Podling

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On 11/14/06, David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com> wrote:
> I counted 8 because Jacques was added as a committer during
> incubation and is not yet part of the PMC. I'm not entirely sure
> counting this way is correct, so I erred on the side of not including
> his vote because we had plenty of other votes for the internal
> podling approval.

You counted correctly, it's my mistake, and my apologies ;)

Yoav

Re: [VOTE] Graduate OFBiz Podling

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 11/15/06, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
> David E Jones wrote:
>
> > If I understand correctly what you are saying there is one more step
> > to take before we seek an approval vote from the Incubator PMC,
> > namely creating and submitting a proposal to the Incubator PMC that
> > they will send to the Apache Board for the whole TLP thing.
>
> Yes, if a project is intended to become a TLP, the Board resolution should
> be prepared first, since it would be the Incubator PMC putting the
> recommendation to the Board.

i'm very positive on ofbiz graduting but IMHO noel's right that we
need to vote to recommend a resolution the board.

graduation documentation needs more work :-/

- robert

RE: [VOTE] Graduate OFBiz Podling

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
David E Jones wrote:

> If I understand correctly what you are saying there is one more step
> to take before we seek an approval vote from the Incubator PMC,
> namely creating and submitting a proposal to the Incubator PMC that
> they will send to the Apache Board for the whole TLP thing.

Yes, if a project is intended to become a TLP, the Board resolution should
be prepared first, since it would be the Incubator PMC putting the
recommendation to the Board.

> What would this proposal look like?

Any of your Mentors should be able to help, as there are any number of
copies floating around, although I suppose a canonical template "might" be
helpful.

No worries.

	--- Noel

Re: [VOTE] Graduate OFBiz Podling

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.
On Nov 14, 2006, at 2:02 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>> The Apache Open For Business Project community has voted internally
>> and agreed on readiness to graduate from the Apache Incubator
>
>> The vote passed with 8 binding +1 votes
>
> Those would be which ones?  I do not see 8 binding votes (yet).

I apologize for not providing more details on this. The thread can be
seen here in the ofbiz-dev archives:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ofbiz-dev/
200611.mbox/thread?4

The people on the OFBiz PPMC who cast binding +1 votes are: Hans
Bakker, Si Chen, Al Byers, Jacopo Cappellato, David Welton, Yoav
Shapira, Andy Zeneski, and David Jones.

> As for my own vote, -1 on a procedural basis:
>
>> Based on early discussion about OFBiz at the ASF (around the time
>> OFBiz entered the incubator) the best place for the project seems
>> to be as a top level project (TLP). This is a separate thing to
>> vote on, so I mention it here for information purposes only.
>
> As has been discussed, the Incubator PMC would want to see the
> proposal that
> is to be put before the Board, so please submit one, and I'll
> revise my
> vote.
>
> Otherwise, at first glance, things look pretty good.  The STATUS file
> (http://incubator.apache.org/projects/ofbiz.html) may or may not be
> entirely
> accurate (I haven't cross-referenced the Committer list, for
> example), but
> on the face of it, it is as complete as any I've seen lately.

My understanding based on the policy document is that the first step
is to have the graduation accepted by the Incubator PMC, and then
depending on where the podling will migrate to there are different
steps to take after "a Podling has successfully completed Incubation".

If I understand correctly what you are saying there is one more step
to take before we seek an approval vote from the Incubator PMC,
namely creating and submitting a proposal to the Incubator PMC that
they will send to the Apache Board for the whole TLP thing.

What would this proposal look like? Is this the (or I guess it seems
more part of the) recommendation or draft resolution mentioned here:

http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/
Incubation_Policy.html#Migration+as+a+Top+Level+Project

I apologize for the questions and the omission, I've tried to look
around a bit but I still feel like I'm flying blind...

-David

RE: [VOTE] Graduate OFBiz Podling

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.