Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Decebal Suiu <de...@asf.ro> on 2012/09/25 14:16:51 UTC

[Announce] wicket-dashboard

Hi

I implemented a simple dashboard for wicket that can be found at
https://github.com/decebals/wicket-dashbaord
You can drag and drop widgets, perform some actions on each widget, add or
remove new widgets, change widget settings, collapse widgets.

I have a tiny demo application. In this demo I have implemented two widgets
types: a chart widget (using open flash chart) and a text widget (display a
Lorem Ipsum).

Best regards,
Decebal

RE: [Announce] wicket-dashboard

Posted by Paul Bors <pa...@bors.ws>.
For whoever is interested, the right way of setting the settings in
wicked-charts is via a call to:
JavaScriptResourceRegistry.getInstance().setJQueryReference() etc.

~ Thank you,
  Paul Bors

Posted by Paul Bors <pa...@bors.ws>.
Hey Decebal,

Thanks for your effort in creating the wicket-dashboard!

That's how I got started with HighCharts and your dashboard :)

I already created a wicket-dashboard-highcharts project using your trunk
version of the wicket-dashboard project which I should either forward to you
or perhaps you can give me instructions on how to add it to your project.

The two integrate quite easily once you configure both to run the same
version of jQuery and now either project allows you to do so.

I'm going on vacation for the next 2 weeks and when I get back I'm in charge
of putting together a demo using wicket-dashboard and wicked-charts
(HighCharts).

~ Thank you,
  Paul Bors

Posted by Paul Bors <pa...@bors.ws>.
Hey Guys,

I run into a conflict between wicket-dashboard
(https://github.com/decebals/wicket-dashboard/) and wicked-charts
(http://code.google.com/p/wicked-charts/).

When I added a simple line chart in a panel to the dashboard both the
drag-box header links and the chart stop working.

I run this using the demo on the trunk v0.4-SNAPSHOT with
wicked-charts-wicket15  v1.3.1.

In short wicket-dashboard seems to be using wiquery v1.5.5 which if I'm not
mistaken pulls in jQuery 1.6.4 where as wicked-charts is using jQuery 1.8.0.
Both of those libraries end up in the header of the page and things start
acting up from there on.

-----
~ Thank you,
    Paul@Bors.ws

Re: [Announce] wicket-dashboard

Posted by Decebal Suiu <de...@asf.ro>.
Hi James

I will improve the wiki with a new page "Creating a custom widget". To
create a custom widget is very simple.
You must declare three components:
- a TableWidgetDescriptor (implements WidgetDescriptor) that supplies
information (meta data) about widget (display name, provider, description,
widget class name); these information are displayed in AddWidgetPage when
the user wants to add a new widget instance to dashboard.
- a TableWidget (typical extends AbstractWidget) with a single method
"createView(String viewId):WidgetView".
- a TableWidgetView (extends WidgetView) that it's the content widget panel.
In this component you must add a DataTable or other repeater. If you have
some settings for widget you can use these settings in widget view to create
a custom view (some filtering on sql data, ...). For example I want to
display two widgets with last five customers and last five orders. You can
have a table widget with a view that contains a datatable with different
dataprovider or two widgets types (it is your option) - LastCustomersWidget
and LastOrdersWidget.

After you create these three components, you must register the new widget
type in WidgetRegistry (see DashboardApplication constructor) with
widgetRegistry.registerWidget(new TableWidgetDescriptor());

It is more clear now?

Posted by James Eliyezar <ja...@mcruncher.com>.
Managed to get the demo working. It's really elegant.
Echoing the same feelings as Paul.
It would be nice to split this up into relevant modules.

While I was playing around with the code, I thought of creating a custom
widget with just a data table.
So I created the following classes:

   - TableWidget
   - TableWidgetView
   - TableWidgetDescriptor

Now what should be in TableWidget and what should be in TableWidgetView?

Should I expose the data provider and columns separately from TableWidget?

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 10:35 PM, Paul Szulc <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I will be adding your dashboard to one of my projects - this is a matter of
> weeks (customer is really, really excited ;)). I have some suggestions, I
> would divide the project into seperate modules:
>
> - wicket-dashboard-core: module with dashboard itself, simply juest the
> component and needed interfaces (jar as an output)
> - wicket-dashboard-widgets: module were some standard widgets would be
> implemented (jar as an output)
> - wicket-dashboard-demo: module with demo useage (war as an output)
>
> This way to use dashboard one must simply add wicket-dashboard-core as
> dependency. He can now develop his own widgets or use standard widgets. To
> use standard widgets, he must also add wicket-dashboard-widgets as
> dependency to his project.
>
> What do you think about it?
>
> Paul Szulc
>

> On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 10:29 AM, Decebal Suiu <de...@asf.ro> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > Thanks Paul for the nice words. wicket-dashboard code is used in
> production
> > in NextReports server (see
> >

> http://apache-wicket.1842946.n4.nabble.com/How-to-create-a-dashboard-with-draggable-widgets-tp4652210p4652218.html
> > )
> > but with some additional features (multiple dashboards, detached widgets,
> > ...).
> >
> > If you have any questions, ideas or suggestions, please do not hesitate
> > contact me.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Decebal
> >

> > --

Thanks & regards
James Selvakumar

Re: [Announce] wicket-dashboard

Posted by Paul Szulc <pa...@gmail.com>.
Is it already on respository? If yes then I will play with it a bit and let
you know.

Paul Szulc

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Have you considered Wicket's IInitializer ?

This notifies you when the app is about to start and gives you the
Application instance.
>From here you just need to decide how to store and lookup the registry
for the widgets in the app.

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 11:06 PM, Paul Szulc <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If we dont want to add any specific DI implementation, and Dashboard
> depends on DashboardPersister, WidgetFactory,
> WidgetRegistry then I guess there are two ways we can do here:
>
> 1. constructor
>
> Dashboard constructor will take DashboardPersister,
> WidgetFactory, WidgetRegistry as parameters. Or we can create
> DashboardDependeciesBuilder that takes DashboardPersister, WidgetFactory,
> WidgetRegistry as parameter, with one method build(String wicketId) that
> creates Dashboard - this way we could add DashboardDepdenciesBuilder to our
> CI and use it later on to create Dashboard. Something like this:
>
> @SpringBean
> private DashboarDepenciesBuilder ddb;
> //...
> add(ddb.build("dashboard"));
>

> 2. interface implemtation on WicketApplication object
>
> This will suck becasue it will make tests almost imposible,but we could
> define interface that clients project's WicketApplication would have to
> implement (lets call it for example DashboardDepenciesProvider). Then in
> your code you could do something like this:
>
> checkState(WicketApplication.get() instantce of DashboardDepenciesProvider,
> "WicketApplication must implements DashboardDepenciesProvider");
> DashboardDepenciesProvider ddp =
> (DashboardDepenciesProvider)WicketApplication.get();
> ddp.getDashboardPersister() // and so on
>

> Paul Szulc
>
> On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 10:37 AM, Decebal Suiu <de...@asf.ro> wrote:
>
>> Hi Paul
>>
>> Thanks for the feedback. I will split the project in modules asap. In my
>> mind are some problems related to modularity that cannot be resolved so
>> easy: how can I inject some components (DashboardPersister, WidgetFactory,
>> WidgetRegistry) in wicket-dashboard? Now these components are singletons
>> defined in DashboardApplication (demo package). In a real application
>> (NextReports server for example), you may want to inject these components
>> using a DI framework (spring framework in our case) and probably you want
>> save the dashboard layout in a database or jcr.
>> Other problem is to add custom actions to widget header panel as
>> contributors.
>>
>> Sure, the first step will be to split the project in core, demo, standard
>> widgets and after this step to resolve the problems described above.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Decebal
>>

>> --

Martin Grigorov
jWeekend
Training, Consulting, Development
http://jWeekend.com

Re: [Announce] wicket-dashboard

Posted by Paul Szulc <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Decebal Suiu <de...@asf.ro>.
Hi Paul

Thanks for the feedback. I will split the project in modules asap. In my
mind are some problems related to modularity that cannot be resolved so
easy: how can I inject some components (DashboardPersister, WidgetFactory,
WidgetRegistry) in wicket-dashboard? Now these components are singletons
defined in DashboardApplication (demo package). In a real application
(NextReports server for example), you may want to inject these components
using a DI framework (spring framework in our case) and probably you want to

Posted by Paul Szulc <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by James Eliyezar <ja...@mcruncher.com>.
This is a very good news. Will be using this right away!

I have a small problem guys, definitely something is wrong with my setup
(I'm using nexus).
I get this exception when I try to build the project.

No versions available for
> org.codehaus.jackson:jackson-mapper-asl:jar:[1.8,1.8.6],[1.9,1.9.7] within
> specified range

But there indeed is a jackson-mapper-asl jar in my nexus. What's wrong here?

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 2:55 AM, Paul Szulc <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ok, I was using my own internal repo, that is why it did not work
> now all is fine, dashboard look pretty damn cool, I will love to use it in
> one of my applications.
>
> did you used it on any production code yet?
>
> best regards
> pawel szulc
>
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 8:35 PM, Gabriel Landon <gl...@piti.pf> wrote:
>
> > If you look in the pom.xml, you will find the repo :
> >
> >         <repository>
> >                 <id>jofc2.maven.repo</id>
> >                 <name>JOFC2 GoogleCode.com Snapshot Repository</name>
> >                 <url>
> http://jofc2.googlecode.com/svn/repository/snapshots/
> > </url>
> >         </repository>
> >

> > --

Thanks & regards
James Selvakumar

Re: [Announce] wicket-dashboard

Posted by Paul Szulc <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Szulc <pa...@gmail.com>.
I tried to run it with 1.0-0 version which is currently available, but I
got compile error. Can you point to jar that your project currently depends
on (or send it to me by email?).

Posted by Paul Szulc <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pierre Goupil <go...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sebastien <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Balazs Varga <va...@gmail.com>.
a little typo in the link, the right link is
https://github.com/decebals/wicket-dashboard
seems nice :)

Balazs