Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> on 2008/04/30 18:38:41 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Problem with sendfile on VMware ESX

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 12:31 PM, "Otávio C. Cordeiro"
<ot...@tet.com.br> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> I was setting Apache (2.2.6) to run on a Linux ESX (VMware ESX 3.5)
> but the environment is presenting some problems.
>
> Every non-SSL connection with mime 'text/html' breaks on 255 chars.
>
> $ curl --head http://ip:non-ssl/
> curl: (52) Empty reply from server.
>
> Setting .html to be interpreted by the PHP (application/x-httpd-php)
> everything goes OK and using 'text/html' with SSL the problem can
> not be reproduced.
>
> The solution I found is to use "EnableSendFile off" into the non-SSL
> VirtualHost. It's working, but SendFile should be implemented on ESX,
> since it's using a 2.4 kernel...

It is implemented but broken, judging from your observations.

PHP and SSL work fine because they don't use sendfile (sendfile can
only be used when the file can be sent from the filesystem to the
network unchanged).

I don't know the details of the problem, but this is likely an issue
with the way VMWare exposes the filesystem to you. Sendfile problems
almost always come from filesystem incompatibilities.

Joshua.