Posted to woden-dev@ws.apache.org by Lawrence Mandel <lm...@ca.ibm.com> on 2007/08/21 23:01:32 UTC

Woden development process doc

I've made some further updates to the Woden development process document
[1]. There are three TBD items currently in the document.

1. TBD: Fill in details about Java coding conventions.
2. TBD: Insert details about how to test Woden
3. TBD: Insert details of the Woden build process

John, I'm hoping you can handle 1. No rush on this.

Dan has already written content for 2 and 3 that will be added to the
document shortly.

I would appreciate a review of the content by the Woden team and
community. Specifically, are there any topics that are not present, any
topics that require further elaboration, and any topics that require
correction.

Thanks,

Lawrence

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/woden/dev/devprocess.html

Re: Woden development process doc

Posted by Arthur Ryman <ry...@ca.ibm.com>.
+1

Dan, Thx a lot for many so many valuable contrubtions to Woden. Good luck
at uni!

Arthur Ryman, PhD, AoT, DE
Process and Portfolio Management, Rational Division

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-3831 (T/L: 318-8867)
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@fido.ca

Lawrence Mandel/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
09/20/2007 02:32 PM
Please respond to
woden-dev@ws.apache.org

woden-dev@ws.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: Woden development process doc

Dan,

Thanks again for all your contributions and your commitment to Woden and
Open Source development. I know the community will appreciate your keeping

tabs on the project and responding to questions.

Have a great year at school!

Lawrence

"Dan Harvey" <da...@gmail.com>
09/20/2007 10:10 AM
Please respond to
woden-dev@ws.apache.org

woden-dev@ws.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: Woden development process doc

Lawrence,

Thanks for reading it through, I've changed the ant build script
descriptions now to make more sense. I'm not quite sure myself what I
meant before... I've also added a small introduction to the packages we
build and why as you said would be useful.

All,

My last day working at IBM is tomorrow and I'm back off to university the
week after, so I may as well say thanks now for all making it easy to get
into the Woden project and being helpful this summer. I've had a great
time and enjoyed the variety of work Woden has brought to me. Even though
I won't have time to work on Woden whilst I'm at university I'm not just
disappearing, I will probably will stay subscribed to this list for awhile

so if anyone has any questions about my code or contributions then I will
respond. It'll be good to see when the Woden 1.0 release happens as well!

Thanks,

Dan Harvey

On 18/09/2007, Lawrence Mandel <lmandel@ca.ibm.com > wrote:
Dan,

Nice work on the documentation. Overall it's very good. If you have time
before you finish up this week can you clarify the 2 areas below in the
build section:

1. I don't think the statement "Runs every build target below" is very
clear. Do you mean the targets below in the build.xml file? The
documentation should be readable on its own. I think a simple statement
like the following is better for consumers of this information.

buildAll - Builds all Woden packages (API, DOM, and OM)

The top level ant targets we have and their uses are :-
buildAll - Runs every build target below.
buildAndTestAll - Runs every build target below then runs all the test
targets as explained in the Testing section.
distBuild - Runs buildAll then creates the compressed archives for the
distributions we have.
buildAPI - Runs every build target below.
buildDOM - Runs every build target below.
buildOM - Runs every build target below.

2. I think a few sentences about why Woden builds API, DOM and OM packages
would be useful as an introduction to the build process on Woden packaging
before getting into the build technologies.

I'll take a pass at this next week to correct any grammar or spelling
mistakes and perhaps elaborate a bit. After this documentation is
committed we just have one section left to fill in: Source Code.

Lawrence

"Dan Harvey" < danharvey42@gmail.com>
09/18/2007 06:56 AM
Please respond to
woden-dev@ws.apache.org

woden-dev@ws.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: Woden development process doc

Lawrence,

Yes its does include both points, but I've just tired to find where in
Jira I've attached the patch for the site and can't seem to find it..
So I've created the patch again from my source and attached it to
Woden-67, also reading it though again I've added a few lines about making
sure you run the tests and how to add too both of the test suites. If you
want to read through it before its committed its here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12366083/site.patch

Thanks,

Dan

On 17/09/2007, Lawrence Mandel <lm...@ca.ibm.com> wrote:
Arthur,

Good suggestions. Dan has written up a testing section that needs to be
added to the process doc.

Dan - Does your testing section cover the two items Arthur suggested
below? If not, can you work them in?

Thanks,

Lawrence

"Arthur Ryman" < arthur.ryman@gmail.com>
09/16/2007 10:49 PM
Please respond to
woden-dev@ws.apache.org

woden-dev@ws.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: Woden development process doc

Lawrence,

I was looking at the Testing section of the dev process. I suggest it
include the following (this is just an outline - the details need to
be filled in):

1. There is a suite of JUnit tests. These should be run before
committing any new code or fixes. You should add tests to this suite
to cover any new code or fixes.

2. There is an Ant task, validatewsdl20, (class
org.apache.woden.ant.ValidateWSDL20, see the ant-test directory for
build.xml) that runs Woden against a set of WSDL 2.0 documents. This
task should be run against the W3C Test Suite. The results include a
set of generated Component Model Interchange format XML documents, and
a report that contains any violated Assertions. These results can be
compared against the expected results by running scripts provided by
the W3C. The results can also be posted to the W3C WSDL 2.0 Web site
to advertised progress as an implementation of the WSDL 2.0 spec. New
test cases may be added to the W3C Test Suite by submitting then to
the W3C Bugzilla system.

Posted by Lawrence Mandel <lm...@ca.ibm.com>.
Dan,

Posted by Dan Harvey <da...@gmail.com>.
Lawrence,

Posted by Lawrence Mandel <lm...@ca.ibm.com>.
Dan,

Posted by Dan Harvey <da...@gmail.com>.
Lawrence,

Posted by Lawrence Mandel <lm...@ca.ibm.com>.
Arthur,

Posted by Arthur Ryman <ar...@gmail.com>.
Lawrence,

Posted by Sagara Gunathunga <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Lawrence,

Posted by John Kaputin <KA...@uk.ibm.com>.
I will do no. 1.

John Kaputin

Lawrence Mandel <lm...@ca.ibm.com> wrote on 21/08/2007 22:01:32:

> I've made some further updates to the Woden development process document

> [1]. There are three TBD items currently in the document.
>
> 1. TBD: Fill in details about Java coding conventions.
> 2. TBD: Insert details about how to test Woden
> 3. TBD: Insert details of the Woden build process
>
> John, I'm hoping you can handle 1. No rush on this.
>
> Dan has already written content for 2 and 3 that will be added to the
> document shortly.
>
> I would appreciate a review of the content by the Woden team and
> community. Specifically, are there any topics that are not present, any
> topics that require further elaboration, and any topics that require
> correction.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lawrence
>
> [1] http://incubator.apache.org/woden/dev/devprocess.html