Posted to proton@qpid.apache.org by Flavio Percoco <fl...@redhat.com> on 2015/06/16 21:32:41 UTC

Can we release proton 0.10? Can we add Py3K to that release?

Greetings,

I've been looking with great pleasure all the progress happening in
proton lately and I was wondering whether it'd be possible to have an
0.10 release cut soon.

There are some bugfixes I'm personally interested in but also some
important changes (specifically in the python bindings) that will make
consuming proton easier for users (OpenStack among those).

Is there a chance for the above to happen any time soon?

Can I push my request a bit further and ask for the py3k code to be
merged as well?

All the above are key pieces to make proton more consumable and allow
for services like OpenStack to fully adopt it.

Thanks,
Flavio

--
@flaper87
Flavio Percoco

Re: Can we release proton 0.10? Can we add Py3K to that release?

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
On 06/23/2015 11:29 AM, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
> I'd say the same for most large additions if they aren't needed to
> complete / round out other changes already made for the next release.
> I think we tend to be guilty of putting everything in together,
> resulting in a big release that can then drag on a bit, making it more
> difficult to respond quickly if the need arises, which in turn makes
> us want to complete the cycle by including yet more stuff into the
> release just to avoid it having to wait around for a while until the
> following release happens.

+1

Re: Can we release proton 0.10? Can we add Py3K to that release?

Posted by Flavio Percoco <fl...@redhat.com>.
On 23/06/15 11:29 +0100, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
>On 22 June 2015 at 19:14, aconway <ac...@redhat.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 2015-06-16 at 23:38 -0400, Rafael Schloming wrote:
>>> I'd like to get the proton-j-reactor branch into 0.10 also. It should
>>> be
>>> ready soon, so if py3k can be sorted and merged in a similar
>>> timeframe we
>>> could target a release for the end of the month.
>>
>> The C++ and Go bindings are also close to ready. I would not advocate
>> delaying the release just for them if there are already key features
>> that people are asking for, but if we can get them ready in time it
>> would be good to include them.
>>

>If they are ready I would say include them. If they aren't, then I
>release without them and do another release once they are.
>
>I'd say the same for most large additions if they aren't needed to
>complete / round out other changes already made for the next release.
>I think we tend to be guilty of putting everything in together,
>resulting in a big release that can then drag on a bit, making it more
>difficult to respond quickly if the need arises, which in turn makes
>us want to complete the cycle by including yet more stuff into the
>release just to avoid it having to wait around for a while until the
>following release happens.

+1 to the above and since I'm replying to this email, I'll take the
chance to ask where we are at with the release :)

We're at the end of juno which, IIRC, is the estimated date that we
picked at the beginning of this thread as a good release time.

Can we get 0.10 out ?

Thanks everyone, looking forward to the 0.10 release,
Flavio

Posted by Flavio Percoco <fl...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by aconway <ac...@redhat.com>.
On Tue, 2015-06-23 at 17:48 +0200, Flavio Percoco wrote:
> On 22/06/15 14:14 -0400, aconway wrote:
> > On Tue, 2015-06-16 at 23:38 -0400, Rafael Schloming wrote:
> > > I'd like to get the proton-j-reactor branch into 0.10 also. It
> > > should
> > > be
> > > ready soon, so if py3k can be sorted and merged in a similar
> > > timeframe we
> > > could target a release for the end of the month.
> >
> > The C++ and Go bindings are also close to ready. I would not
> > advocate
> > delaying the release just for them if there are already key
> > features
> > that people are asking for, but if we can get them ready in time it
> > would be good to include them.
>
> I think there's no harm on waiting 'til next week but it'd be nice to
> get it out by the end of June.
>
> Does the above sound sane?

Works for me. C++ & Go may not make it but they can catch the next
release if not.

Posted by Flavio Percoco <fl...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Flavio Percoco <fl...@redhat.com>.

Posted by aconway <ac...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Rafael Schloming <rh...@alum.mit.edu>.
On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 9:10 AM, Flavio Percoco <fl...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 17/06/15 08:19 -0400, Ken Giusti wrote:
>
>> Re: py3k - I think we're really close - I've rebased my local
>> kgiusti-python3 to latest trunk, and have a few bugs to sort out but I
>> don't think that will take too long.
>>
>> The one missing 'feature' I had planned for py3: modify the tox tests to
>> automagically run under all installed versions of python.
>>
>> But this all should be do-able before the end of the month IMHO.
>>

> Just to follow up on this thread and bring up the latest news. The
> python 3 support has been merged in the master branch. This was one of
> the things we were waiting for to issue a release.
>
> Rafael, do you think the proton-j-reactor work will be able to hit
> master soon? It'd be lovely to have all these released asap (but first
> lets give python3 at least a week to be tested in master).

I believe so. Two of the four items mentioned on the thread have already
been addressed, and the remaining items probably wouldn't be release
blockers. I hope to have some time soon to attempt a landing.

--Rafael

Re: Can we release proton 0.10? Can we add Py3K to that release?

Posted by Flavio Percoco <fl...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Flavio Percoco <fl...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Ken Giusti <kg...@redhat.com>.

--
-K

Re: Can we release proton 0.10? Can we add Py3K to that release?

Posted by Ken Giusti <kg...@redhat.com>.

--
-K

Re: Can we release proton 0.10? Can we add Py3K to that release?

Posted by Flavio Percoco <fl...@redhat.com>.

Posted by aconway <ac...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Flavio Percoco <fl...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Rafael Schloming <rh...@alum.mit.edu>.