Posted to dev@oodt.apache.org by "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov> on 2014/06/01 06:50:55 UTC

Re: Metadata based versioning

Hey Tom,

-----Original Message-----

From: Thomas Bennett <lm...@gmail.com>
Date: Friday, May 30, 2014 6:26 AM
To: OODT <de...@oodt.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Metadata based versioning

>Hey Chris,
>
>Thanks for your reply.
>
>I think you may have clarified some of my understanding of oodt under the
>hood. Woot. (or is that woodt?)

Haha, woodt it is.

>Firstly, from OODT-72 I can see how the design decisions were made. It
>just
>so happens that I'm wanting the filename for versioning and suddenly I
>understand why FinalFileLocationExtractor is needed. I will now use it
>with
>confidence :-).
>
>Your use of the term 'client side data movement' confused me at first, so
>had to think about it a bit. I was always under the impression (a naive
>misconception) that if your file manager existed on a "machine B" you
>would
>need to do a remote data transfer to use that file manager.
>
>But what you're saying is that the following setup is possible:
>
>   - Machine A (client): crawler + repository path + local data transfer
>   (i.e. machine A, or the 'client' does not need a file manager running
>and
>   does not need to remote data transfer to the machine B)
>   - Machine B (server): file manager (does not need the repository path
>   archive files)

Yes this is totally possible. Imagine the following configuration:

Machine A: no file manager, but has crawler, + can see src + dest path with
local data transfer (note *local* is a misnomer, b/c through distributed
file
systems like NFS, Hadoop, Spark/Shark, GlusterFS, etc. we can logically
mount
local commodity shared nothing disk and federate them to make them appear
like
one big one - each of the preceding distributed file system technologies
all have
different strengths benefits, but from OODT's perspective, it can all be
local
even if it truly isn't).

Machine B: file manager

Use Case:

Ingest a file on machine A into the File Manager on machine B.
  - totally doable
  - crawler on A contacts (by default) http://B:9000/ and then ingests
into file manager using client side transfer.

Make sense?

>Have I got the right idea?

Yep!

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Chief Architect
Office: 168-519, Mailstop: 168-5th floor
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
WWW:  http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/