Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Henry Hwang <HH...@azulsystems.com> on 2006/01/04 02:01:36 UTC

RE: fail to build with

I employ this 'hack' to get around the problem I described in the beginning
of this thread.

The problem it seems is that while the build process trying to build the
configuration ' daytrader-tomcat' under ./config directory, it fails to find
the rar in the repository:

activemq/activemq-ra/3.2.1/rar

The correct behavior is that maven should have download this from the remote
repository to the local repo (? Is that right?)  But somehow this did not
happen, and the build failed.  I have tried for many times over a period of 2
weeks to get the latest source and rebuild, but always resulted in the same
build error.  So this tells me that the problem is probably not
network-related, but some build dependency issue.

My 'hack' was to manually move the whole directory
'./config/daytrader-tomcat' else where so that it does not get built.  Now
run 'maven new', the build will proceed further before hitting another
problem due to some dependencies not present (as a result of mving the
daytrader-tomcat folder).  But now if I check back to .maven folder I do see
the activemq/activemq-ra/3.2.1/rar correctly downloaded.

Next, I mv back the daytrader-tomcat folder and do 'maven new' again.  This
time, the build completes successfully.

If anyone sees anything wrong with this 'hack', I would appreciate your
comment.

Henry

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Jan 3, 2006, at 5:01 PM, Henry Hwang wrote:

> I employ this 'hack' to get around the problem I described in the
> beginning
> of this thread.
>
> The problem it seems is that while the build process trying to
> build the
> configuration ' daytrader-tomcat' under ./config directory, it
> fails to find
> the rar in the repository:
>
> activemq/activemq-ra/3.2.1/rar
>
> The correct behavior is that maven should have download this from
> the remote
> repository to the local repo (? Is that right?)

yes
> But somehow this did not
> happen, and the build failed.  I have tried for many times over a
> period of 2
> weeks to get the latest source and rebuild, but always resulted in
> the same
> build error.  So this tells me that the problem is probably not
> network-related, but some build dependency issue.

Yes.  It is difficult to be sure you have found all the dependencies
in a j2ee plan because the geronimo plan can have dependencies to
rars (and other j2ee artifacts) that refer directly to the maven (or
geronimo) repository.  These dependencies aren't needed in the
project.xml in order to build the configuration so long as the
artifacts are actually in the repo.  In this case we missed activemq
and the derby-embed-xa connector.  I've added the missing
dependencies to the daytrader-tomcat and daytrader-jetty configs in
head, so the build should work now.

> My 'hack' was to manually move the whole directory
> './config/daytrader-tomcat' else where so that it does not get
> built.  Now
> run 'maven new', the build will proceed further before hitting another
> problem due to some dependencies not present (as a result of mving the
> daytrader-tomcat folder).

Unless the missing dependency was on the daytrader car files, can you
figure out what else was missing and tell us?

> But now if I check back to .maven folder I do see
> the activemq/activemq-ra/3.2.1/rar correctly downloaded.
>
> Next, I mv back the daytrader-tomcat folder and do 'maven new'
> again.  This
> time, the build completes successfully.
>
> If anyone sees anything wrong with this 'hack', I would appreciate
> your
> comment.

It worked, so that is good, but it's better to find the missing
dependencies and add them to the project.xml.

thanks
david jencks