Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Volker Buchenau <vo...@gmx.de> on 2003/11/07 00:58:21 UTC

CLI Offline Pages - How to strip off parameters?

Are there any ways I can influence the names
and links of and in offline pages that are
generated through CLI?

Especially I want the parameters I attached to
the URL to go away: ?param1=value&param2=value.
These are included in page names and links of
all the files generated.

Or would I be better off spidering my site with
tools like wget as many people suggest in the
mailing list? Yet they have to be configurable
as to have the parameters go, too.

I went trough some pains getting the CLI to
produce pages at all. Thanks to the CommandLine
Wiki hint I copied the servlet_2_2.jar to
the lib directory (still necessary with 2.1.3-dev).
Also I had to add a <map:views> section to my
sub-sitemap which is not inherited from the main
sitemap as stated in the Wiki.

Well, now it's up and running. So any hints how
to get it perfect?

Re: CLI Offline Pages - How to strip off parameters?

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jh...@virbus.de>.
On 07.11.2003 00:58, Volker Buchenau wrote:

> Also I had to add a <map:views> section to my
> sub-sitemap which is not inherited from the main
> sitemap as stated in the Wiki.

Fixed it on the wiki.

Joerg

Re: AW: CLI Offline Pages - How to strip off parameters?

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.
Volker Buchenau wrote:

>Upayavira [mailto:uv@upaya.co.uk] wrote
>

>>>Are there any ways I can influence the names and links of and
>>>in offline pages that are generated through CLI?
>>>

>>As far as I understand, not at present, but it could be added.
>>

>>>Especially I want the parameters I attached to the URL to go away:
>>>?param1=value&param2=value. These are included in page names and
>>>links of all the files generated.
>>>

>>Why would you want to loose them? Surely foo.html?a=1 is a different
>>resource from  foo.html?a=2
>>

>Thanks, Upayavira.
>
>I want to rewrite the parameters in the links and filenames, because
>I have to put the static export on a web server as a website.
>The site is hosted on a server where I can't install Cocoon and I want
>the site to be as "Search-Engine-friendly" as possible. Though
>parameters
>look more "fancy" I would prefer the page URL's look "simple and
>stupid".
>
>Obviously it doesn't matter much, where I would do the rewriting,
>but it would be nice to have some options righ with CLI.

The CLI _should_ do something like that already, if you enable
'confirm-extensions'. With that it will check the extensions of a file,
and modify the URI of a page to ensure that it is a valid filename, amd
then update all links to that page.

Does that do what you want, or are you needing more?

Regards, Upayavira

Posted by Volker Buchenau <vo...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.
Volker Buchenau wrote:

>Are there any ways I can influence the names
>and links of and in offline pages that are
>generated through CLI?

As far as I understand, not at present, but it could be added.

>Especially I want the parameters I attached to
>the URL to go away: ?param1=value&param2=value.
>These are included in page names and links of
>all the files generated.

Why would you want to loose them? Surely foo.html?a=1 is a different
resource from  foo.html?a=2

>Or would I be better off spidering my site with
>tools like wget as many people suggest in the
>mailing list? Yet they have to be configurable
>as to have the parameters go, too.

<asside>That is always a good way to get changed in the CLI: suggest
that wget is better ;-)</asside>

>I went trough some pains getting the CLI to
>produce pages at all. Thanks to the CommandLine
>Wiki hint I copied the servlet_2_2.jar to
>the lib directory (still necessary with 2.1.3-dev).

I think that the cocoon cli scripts need to be updated to make sure they
include servlet.jar by default. It will always be needed.

>Also I had to add a <map:views> section to my
>sub-sitemap which is not inherited from the main
>sitemap as stated in the Wiki.

I believe Joerg has corrected my error there.

>Well, now it's up and running. So any hints how
>to get it perfect?

So, can you explain why you want to strip parameters?

Regards, Upayavira