Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2005/07/04 09:43:01 UTC

SVN migration of metadata

Hi,

it looks as if most of us were leaning towards migrating to SVN now.
We now need to decide on the details.

I'm halfway torn between throwing history away and simply importing
CVS HEAD manually and doing a trunk-only conversion.  Well, not really
true, I'd probably prefer keeping the history, but could live without
it.  What's your preference?

The second question is, where should our metadata end up in SVN?
Probably in http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/gump/metadata/trunk - I
envision metadata branches for Gump3 later, so I'd be against a flat
structure like site currently has.

Cheers

        Stefan

Re: SVN migration of metadata

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> I'm halfway torn between throwing history away and simply importing
> CVS HEAD manually and doing a trunk-only conversion.  Well, not really
> true, I'd probably prefer keeping the history, but could live without
> it.  What's your preference?

Please keep history. Our cvs commit history contains a ton of clues
about how we go about debugging problems. I frequently go through
viewcvs to figure out how someone (often you :-)) fixed a certain problem.

> The second question is, where should our metadata end up in SVN?
> Probably in http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/gump/metadata/trunk - I
> envision metadata branches for Gump3 later, so I'd be against a flat
> structure like site currently has.

+1

cheers,

LSD

Re: SVN migration of metadata

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Jul 2005, Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>>ALWAYS KEEP HISTORY! cvs2svn does that for you anyway!
>

> If you use it 8-)

If you don't keep it, you'll regret it, believe me. Working on time
series data mining is part of my day job!

> Simply adding a CVS export to svn could do, it is an option, even if
> you don't like it.

No, that stinks. All my history datamining tools are based on SVN log.

I volunteer to do the processing, if that's your problem.

--
Stefano.

Re: SVN migration of metadata

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it looks as if most of us were leaning towards migrating to SVN now.
> We now need to decide on the details.
>
> I'm halfway torn between throwing history away and simply importing
> CVS HEAD manually and doing a trunk-only conversion.  Well, not really
> true, I'd probably prefer keeping the history, but could live without
> it.  What's your preference?

ALWAYS KEEP HISTORY! cvs2svn does that for you anyway!

> The second question is, where should our metadata end up in SVN?
> Probably in http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/gump/metadata/trunk - I
> envision metadata branches for Gump3 later, so I'd be against a flat
> structure like site currently has.

svn mv is your friend anyway ;-)

--
Stefano.

Re: SVN migration of metadata

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, Adam R. B. Jack <aj...@apache.org> wrote:

> Since today folks (1) checkout Gump from SVN and (2) checkout
> metadata from CVS into ./metadata, I don't see a hardship of having
> two places. That said, will SVN allow us to do this w/o pain?

We can add an svn:external to gump/trunk that checks out metadata into
the correct place.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
>>I'm halfway torn between throwing history away and simply importing
>>CVS HEAD manually and doing a trunk-only conversion.  Well, not really
>>true, I'd probably prefer keeping the history, but could live without
>>it.  What's your preference?
>

> +1 for keep the history.
>

>>The second question is, where should our metadata end up in SVN?
>>Probably in http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/gump/metadata/trunk - I
>>envision metadata branches for Gump3 later, so I'd be against a flat
>>structure like site currently has.
>

> +1 in theory,  'cos looking at our SVN tree we do seem to use /gump/X/trunk
> when we have a sub-project X, but see below.
>
> Since today folks (1) checkout Gump from SVN and (2) checkout metadata from
> CVS into ./metadata, I don't see a hardship of having two places. That said,
> will SVN allow us to do this w/o pain?

of course, svn:external is your friend :-)

> Can we have an empty
> /repos/asf/gump/trunk/metadata become a local working directory, and then
> checkout /repos/asf/gump/metadata/trunk into it? I suspect not. I think we
> "got away with it" because we were using two separate SCMs. Something will
> have to give, I'm just not sure what, i.e. (1) no empty ./metadata w/ a
> FILLME.txt (2) ../metadata not ./metadata (3) not separate SVN trees.
> Thoughts?
>
> regards,
>
> Adam

Stefano.

Re: SVN migration of metadata

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@apache.org>.
> I'm halfway torn between throwing history away and simply importing
> CVS HEAD manually and doing a trunk-only conversion.  Well, not really
> true, I'd probably prefer keeping the history, but could live without
> it.  What's your preference?

+1 for keep the history.

> The second question is, where should our metadata end up in SVN?
> Probably in http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/gump/metadata/trunk - I
> envision metadata branches for Gump3 later, so I'd be against a flat
> structure like site currently has.

+1 in theory,  'cos looking at our SVN tree we do seem to use /gump/X/trunk
when we have a sub-project X, but see below.

Since today folks (1) checkout Gump from SVN and (2) checkout metadata from
CVS into ./metadata, I don't see a hardship of having two places. That said,
will SVN allow us to do this w/o pain? Can we have an empty