Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jérémie G <ac...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/17 13:54:47 UTC

[users@httpd] reverse proxy with apache 1.3 and apache 2.2

Hello,

I have to migrate a working reverse proxy from apache-ssl
1.3.33-6sarge3 to apache2 2.2.9-10+lenny6 with ssl but I encounter a
critical issue : when I try to access the website from behind a proxy,
it's working with apache 1.3 but not with apache 2.2 (without proxy,
it's working fine for both version).

The error displayed in the error.log is : [error] (104)Connection
reset by peer: proxy: prefetch request body failed to 192.168.20.8
(intra-8.lan) from a.b.c.d ()

Both server have IP address in the same subnet and have only this
virtual host enabled.

I have tried some tweak in the configuration but I'm clueless to find
any parameter correcting this behavior. Bellow is the apache-ssl 1.3
config vhost file :
<VirtualHost *>
        ServerName extranet.enterprise.com
        ServerAdmin support@enterprise.com
        SSLCertificateFile    /etc/apache-ssl/ssl/ip-13.crt
        SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/apache-ssl/ssl/ip-13.key
        ProxyPass / http://intra-8.lan/
        ProxyPassReverse / http://intra-8.lan/
</VirtualHost>

An here is the apache 2.2 config file :
<IfModule mod_ssl.c>
<VirtualHost xx.xx.xx.xx:443>
        ServerName extranet-new.enterprise.com
        ServerAdmin support@enterprise.com
        SSLEngine On
        SSLCertificateFile    /etc/apache2/ssl/ip-14.crt
        SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/apache2/ssl/ip-14.key
        ProxyRequests Off
        <Proxy *>
                Order Deny,Allow
                Allow from all
        </Proxy>
        ProxyPass / http://intra-8.lan/
        ProxyPassReverse / http://intra-8.lan/
</VirtualHost>
</IfModule>

I really need to migrate this website to the new server, any idea ?

Jeremie

Re: [users@httpd] reverse proxy with apache 1.3 and apache 2.2

Posted by Jérémie G <ac...@gmail.com>.
After several tests, I have isolated the error and it's related to
mod_ssl : take the exact same configuration, the exact same customer
proxy server and remove any reverse proxy mechanism and ...

with debian sarge, apache-ssl 1.3.33-6sarge3, this is working :
Customer => Customer proxy => *Internet* => httpd 1.3.33 server (proto https)

with debian etch, apache -ssl 1.3.34-4.1+etch1, this is *not* working ;
Customer => Customer proxy => *Internet* => httpd 1.3.34 server (proto = https)

I really have no clue how to solve this, my configuration files are
exactly the same for both servers and it's working when there is no
proxy between the customer and Internet !

The vhost file for both server is very simple :
<VirtualHost *>
        DocumentRoot /var/www/testpage-ssl/
        <Directory />
                Options FollowSymLinks
                AllowOverride None
        </Directory>
        <Directory /var/www/testpage-ssl/>
                AllowOverride None
                Order allow,deny
                allow from all
        </Directory>
        LogLevel warn
        SSLCertificateFile    /etc/apache-ssl/ssl/ip.crt
        SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/apache-ssl/ssl/ip.key
</VirtualHost>

This looks like a bug on the ssl implementation of httpd, a pretty big
one if there is no way to solve it as several of our customers have
the same issue, using different proxy software. I really can't believe
that this issue is not known.

Does any one know of a configuration tweak that solve this issue ?

Regards,
Jeremie

Posted by Jérémie G <ac...@gmail.com>.
Hello,