Posted to geospatial@apache.org by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com> on 2021/01/11 20:49:15 UTC

Joint ASF, OGC and OSGeo 2021 Virtual Code Sprint

Hello all

Below is an annoucement from Gobe Hobona from the Open Geospatial
Consortium:

The Apache Software Foundation (ASF), Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC),
and Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo) are currently planning a
joint Virtual Code Sprint to be held during the last week of February 2021.

The code sprint will enable software developers to focus on free and
open source projects that implement open geospatial standards for a
period of three days. The code sprint will cover multiple ASF and OSGeo
projects, and OGC standards. This Sprint is open to all participants in
ASF, OSGeo and OGC, even if you are not active members or contributors
to the efforts of the organizers.

The exact date of the Code Sprint will be confirmed by January 21st,
2021. In the meantime, ASF projects and developers involved in ASF are
invited to express an interest in participating in the Code Sprint by
sending an e-mail to ghobona@ogc.org <ma...@ogc.org>

Since 1999, The Apache Software Foundation has been shepherding,
developing, and incubating Open Source innovations "The Apache Way". The
ASF's all-volunteer community comprising 813 individual Members and
8,000 Committers on six continents steward 200M+ lines of code, oversee
350+ Apache projects and their communities, and provide $20B+ worth of
software to the public at 100% no cost.

OGC is an international consortium of more than 500 businesses,
government agencies, research organizations, and universities driven to
make geospatial (location) information and services FAIR - Findable,
Accessible, Interoperable, and Reusable.

OSGeo is a not-for-profit organization whose mission is to foster global
adoption of open geospatial technology by being an inclusive software
foundation devoted to an open philosophy and participatory community
driven development.

Regards,

Gobe

Re: Joint ASF, OGC and OSGeo 2021 Virtual Code Sprint

Posted by Gobe Hobona <gh...@ogc.org>.
All,

The Joint Virtual Code Sprint will be held on the 17th, 18th and 19th of February 2021 starting from 07:00am EST until 05:30pm EST each day.

Please reserve the dates in your calendars.

The formal announcement is being prepared and will include a link to the Registration page.

Regards,

Gobe

--
 <https://www.ogc.org/webinars>

Re: Joint ASF, OGC and OSGeo 2021 Virtual Code Sprint

Posted by Gobe Hobona <gh...@ogc.org>.
All,

--
 <https://www.ogc.org/webinars>

Re: Joint ASF, OGC and OSGeo 2021 Virtual Code Sprint

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <de...@apache.org>.
Hello all

The code sprint has been announced by all 3 organizations [1][2][3]. A
github repository with draft schedule and other details is there:

https://github.com/opengeospatial/joint-ogc-osgeo-asf-sprint-2021

We are looking for ASF projects that would like to participate (the list
of OSGeo projects is already quite rich). On Apache SIS side, I'm
thinking to the following tasks. The first tasks on this list are
actually GeoAPI work (since this code sprint focuses on OGC standards),
but cause SIS depends on GeoAPI the work in that area would benefit to
Apache SIS:

    Submit PROJ-JNI [4] as an OSGeo project. This is a wrapper making
    the PROJ library accessible as an OGC GeoAPI 3.0.1 implementation.
    This task is discussed in issue #33 [5].

    Get peoples from the Python community to review the GeoAPI Python
    abstract classes for metadata and referencing by coordinates [6].
    Those abstract classes have never been formally released by OGC yet,
    so they are pretty much open for changes based on Python experts
    feedback. In particular, how to represent features is an open question.

    Continue the writing of GeoAPI 3.1 / 4.0 specification [7]. This
    would require feedback from Java and Python users.

    (Possibly, may depends on IOGP acceptance) continue the development
    of GIGS tests.

    Help migrating the Apache SIS web site [8] to a new (to be
    determined) Content Management System and take this opportunity for
    making it better.

    Starts implementing a prototype of OGC Gridded Geodetic data
    eXchange Format (GGXF) [9] - will depend on the advancement of that
    working group.

Is there other ideas of tasks for a code sprint?

     Martin

[1] https://twitter.com/TheASF/status/1354533796503318528
[2] https://www.ogc.org/pressroom/pressreleases/4397
[3] https://www.osgeo.org/events/joint-ogc-osgeo-asf-code-sprint-2021/
[4] https://github.com/Kortforsyningen/PROJ-JNI
[5] https://github.com/Kortforsyningen/PROJ-JNI/issues/33
[6] https://github.com/opengeospatial/geoapi/tree/master/geoapi/src/main/python/opengis
[7] https://github.com/opengeospatial/geoapi/blob/master/src/main/asciidoc/standard_document.adoc
[8] https://sis.apache.org/
[9] https://github.com/opengeospatial/CRS-Gridded-Geodetic-data-eXchange-Format/

Re: Joint ASF, OGC and OSGeo 2021 Virtual Code Sprint