Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Per Steffensen <st...@designware.dk> on 2012/02/06 14:54:04 UTC

Is Solr waiting for data to arrive

Hi

I have a setup where a lot is going on, but where there is about 80-90%
IO-wait (%wa in top). I have a suspicion that this is due to slow
networking. I would like someone to help med interpret threaddumps
(retrieved using kill -3).

Whenever I do threaddumps I see that most threads have this stacktrace:
"2036752846@qtp-1221696456-205" prio=10 tid=0x00007f8f50102000
nid=0x3a31 runnable [0x00007f90908e3000]
   java.lang.Thread.State: RUNNABLE
        at org.mortbay.io.ByteArrayBuffer.readFrom(ByteArrayBuffer.java:382)
        at org.mortbay.io.bio.StreamEndPoint.fill(StreamEndPoint.java:114)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.bio.SocketConnector$Connection.fill(SocketConnector.java:198)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:290)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:212)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:404)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.bio.SocketConnector$Connection.run(SocketConnector.java:228)
        at
org.mortbay.thread.QueuedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:582)

Im not sure if this indicate
1) that they are just hanging around waiting for the next request (doing
nothing)
2) or if it indicates that a request has been initiated and that the
thread is waiting to receive the data
I guess if it is 1) I havnt confirmed my suspiction, but if it is 2) I
probably have. Can anyone help med with the interpretation. Thanks!

Regards, Per Steffensen