Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Ralf S. Engelschall" <rs...@engelschall.com> on 1998/02/27 16:03:03 UTC

Re: Reverse proxy-server a buzzword which should show up in Apache Doc\'s

In article <01...@NOTELT.MED.IACNET.COM> you wrote:

> There is a buzzword used in marketting material which I feel should show up
> in the Apache Doc's, at least in the description of the ProxyPass directive of
> mod_proxy,
> so that people using web search engines to find software solutions will be able
> to find it.

> The buzzword is Reverse Proxy Server, which means that instead of a proxy to
> allow
> browsers inside a firewall to get to web servers on the internet you want to
> allow browsers
> on the internet to get to certain web servers inside your firewall.

> This is mentioned in http://www.ositis.com/
> and http://www.netscape.com/comprod/server_central/product/proxy/
> and http://www.microsoft.com/proxy/

This buzzword now is part of the mod_proxy docs, because of the recently added
ProxyPassReverse directive.
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com

HAS_DLFCN -- where to define?

Posted by Martin Kraemer <Ma...@mch.sni.de>.
I think there is problem with the order of inclusion of apache header
files and OS dependent #defines.

For example, os.h contains....
	 /* Start of real module */
    #ifdef HAS_DLFCN
    # include <dlfcn.h>
    #else
    void * dlopen (__const char * __filename, int __flag);
    __const char * dlerror (void);
    void * dlsym (void *, __const char *);
    int dlclose (void *);
    #endif

(First problem: only gcc defines __const, and it is not checked before
use. That's how I ran into the bug in the first place, because I used a
non-gcc compiler).

Second problem: *Where* would a #define HAS_DLFCN be set? I would expect
it to live in conf.h, and be set depending on the detected OS
(like: #ifdef SVR4.... #define HAS_DLFCN....)

That is impossible, however, because conf.h #includes "os.h" right at
the beginning. So we end up with the old checken-and-egg problem.

A temporary solution for *-sni-svr4 was to define -DHAS_DLFCN in
Configure. But that is a very unesthetic solution IMHO. It requires
Configure to contain much-too-specific OS information.

Can you think of a better way to define things?

    Martin

Posted by Martin Kraemer <Ma...@mch.sni.de>.
On Fri, Feb 27, 1998 at 04:03:03PM +0100, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
> This buzzword now is part of the mod_proxy docs, because of the recently added
> ProxyPassReverse directive.

No, not quite.

#>This directive lets Apache adjust the URL in the <TT>Location</TT> header on
#>HTTP redirect responses. For instance this is essential when Apache is used as
#>a reverse proxy to avoid by-passing the reverse proxy because of HTTP
#>redirects on the backend servers which stay behind the reverse proxy.

It is used, but not explained anywhere (I wondered what it meant...).
I like George_Carrette@iacnet.com's explanation, and he's right it should
be somewhere in the apache docs. (mod_proxy.html would be a good place to
start with).

    Martin