Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by "Pamecha, Abhishek" <ap...@x.com> on 2012/10/16 20:28:18 UTC

HDFS using SAN

Hi

I have read scattered documentation across the net which mostly say HDFS doesn't go well with SAN being used to store data. While some say, it is an emerging trend. I would love to know if there have been any tests performed which hint on what aspects does a direct storage excels/falls behind a SAN.

We are investigating whether a direct storage option is better than a SAN storage for a modest cluster with data in 100 TBs in steady state. The SAN of course can support order of magnitude more of iops we care about for now, but given it is a shared infrastructure and we may expand our data size, it may not be an advantage in the future.

Another thing I am interested in: for MR jobs, where data locality is the key driver, how does that span out when using a SAN instead of direct storage?

And of course on the subjective topics of availability and reliability on using a SAN for data storage in HDFS, I would love to receive your views.

Thanks,
Abhishek

RE: HDFS using SAN

Posted by "Pamecha, Abhishek" <ap...@x.com>.
In a SAN? Would it be a concern if I am relying on HDFS to do the replication and using SAN only for dumb storage tier.  In that case, the only difference is remote vs local access.

Reliability may be, actually,  even better in a SAN coz I would assume any reasonable SAN would provide decent fault-tolerance when its controller(s) fail.

Thanks,
Abhishek

--
Have a Nice Day!