Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2013/09/01 12:52:24 UTC

[VOTE] HttpComponents Client 4.2.6 release

Please vote on releasing these packages as HttpComponents Client 4.2.6.
The vote is open for the at least 72 hours, and only votes from
HttpComponents PMC members are binding. The vote passes if at least
three binding +1 votes are cast and there are more +1 than -1 votes.

Packages:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/httpcomponents/httpclient-4.2.6-RC1/

Release notes:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/httpcomponents/httpclient-4.2.6-RC1/RELEASE_NOTES-4.2.x.txt

Maven artefacts:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehttpcomponents-129/org/apache/httpcomponents/

SVN tag:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/httpclient/tags/4.2.6-RC1/
(Revision: 1519258)

Re: [VOTE] HttpComponents Client 4.2.6 release

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.
Passed all MCF tests.

+1 from me.
Karl

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@apache.org>.
>   Vote:  HttpComponents Client 4.2.6 release
>   [X] +1 Release the packages as HttpComponents Client 4.2.6.
>   [ ] -1 I am against releasing the packages (must include a reason)
regards
asankha

--
Asankha C. Perera
AdroitLogic, http://adroitlogic.org

http://esbmagic.blogspot.com

Re: [VOTE] HttpComponents Client 4.2.6 release

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.
Agreed.

The vote is about whether to release the source bits.  EOL-style
considerations between SVN and the source release really do not apply
here.  It's a nice-to-have, not a make-or-break.

Karl

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 3 September 2013 12:34, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-09-03 at 10:57 +0100, sebb wrote:

>> > Karl
>> > Line delimiters of all human readable files as well as source code get
>> > adjusted based on the type of the distribution. The whole thing boils
>> > down to a just a few _resource_ files, which I personally think should
>> > never be meddled with given that line delimiters may be semantically
>> > significant.
>>
>> If a fixed eol is required by resource files, they should not have
>> eol-style:native in SVN.
>> They should have either LF or CRLF depending on which eol is required
>> by the format.
>>
>> But if the format requires different EOL for Windows and Un*x, then
>> native is correct and so is conversion to the appropriate ending.
>>
>> I am not saying that every text file needs to be converted.
>> But ones which are converted by SVN (i.e. native) should be converted
>> for the corresponding archive.
>>

> All which the assembly script has no way of knowing.

In theory the build script could parse the output of svn pl -v and use
that to control the eol massaging.
I agree that would be tedious; it's a lot easier to create the
archives, check the results and then fix any errors.

But the point is, we already know that all the .txt files and all the
.properties files are flagged as eol:native, so we should do the same
in the build script.

Otherwise the generated zip and tar.gz file contents will depend on
the EOL setting for the host where the SVN tag is checked out.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 3 September 2013 07:03, Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Sebb,
>
> "It is essential that the files in a source release can be matched
> against those in SVN."
>
> I think that's technically not necessary according to Apache rules;  what's
> necessary is that the bits in the tar or zip be based *solely* on the svn
> tag and upstream dependencies.

How can you check that the bits in the tar are based solely on the tag
if you cannot compare the tar contents against the tag?

> But you really vote not on the tag but on the tar and zip.

Yes, of course, but the files in the archive must have the correct license.
There are far too many files to check individually, so one relies on
the fact that files in the tag have been pre-approved.
Effectively SVN tag is a database of files that are believed OK at
that point in time.

> "But the main issue I have is that the PNG file in the ZIP archive is
> corrupt."
>
> I think that should be fixed.

Thanks.

> It's also worth considering that perhaps
> fixing up line endings for Windows users is maybe not worth the pain in the
> behind at release time that it is.  Most people use editors these days that
> don't care.

We also fix up line endings for Un*x users if the RM happens to be
using Windows.

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sebb,

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@apache.org>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2013-09-02 at 11:53 +0100, sebb wrote:
> Sorry, but -1
> Something has gone wrong with the EOL conversions.

Release veto because of a corrupt PNG file in source zip dist?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
Sorry, but -1

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
+1