Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Bernd Fehling <be...@uni-bielefeld.de> on 2010/06/15 09:58:26 UTC

HOWTO get a working copy of SOLR?

Dear list,

this sounds stupid, but how to get a full working copy of SOLR?

What I have tried so far:
- started with LucidWorks SOLR. Installs fine, runs fine but has an old tika version
  and can only handle some PDFs.

- changed to SOLR trunk. Installs fine, runs fine but luke 1.0.1 argues about
  "Unknown format version: -10". I guess because luke 1.0.1 compiles with
  lucene-core-3.0.1.jar but trunk has lucene-core-4.0-dev.jar ???
  Anyway, no luck with this version.

- changed to SOLR branch_3x. Installs fine, runs fine, luke works fine but
  the extraction with /update/extract (ExtractingRequestHandler) only replies
  the metadata but not the content.
  No luck with this version.

Is there any full working recent copy at all?

Or a luke working with SOLR trunk?

Regards,
Bernd

Re: HOWTO get a working copy of SOLR?

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Bernd,

Not everything has to be bundled in one package. :)

Luke is a separate project.  It also depends on some software that makes it unsuitable for bundling with Lucene/Solr for licensing reasons.

Otis
----

>> - changed to SOLR branch_3x. Installs fine, runs fine, luke
> works fine but
>>  the extraction with /update/extract
> (ExtractingRequestHandler) only replies
>>  the metadata but not
> the content.
>
> Sounds like
> href="https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-1902" target=_blank
> >https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-1902

Thanks for
> the hint.

- The trunk is running fine (at least on my system) but has no
> luke.
- The branch has a running luke but doesn't extract the
> text.

What a pity. So is SOLR a serious development or just a playground
> or
test case for lucene?

Why is luke a separate tool and not combined
> / integrated with SOLR?

Very strange...

Posted by Bernd Fehling <be...@uni-bielefeld.de>.

Posted by Sixten Otto <si...@sfko.com>.
<be...@uni-bielefeld.de> wrote:
> - changed to SOLR branch_3x. Installs fine, runs fine, luke works fine but
>  the extraction with /update/extract (ExtractingRequestHandler) only replies
>  the metadata but not the content.

Sounds like https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-1902

Sixten