Posted to user@flume.apache.org by "Kim, Jongkook " <jo...@citi.com> on 2012/09/21 20:46:52 UTC

Locked tail files by flume agent on Window

Hi,

We are using a flume agent (0.9.3)  on Window for tailing a log file.

The log file name is rotated every day to create back up files.

For instance, the file name is application.log and every day the name is changed with sequential number. application.1.log

The current log file name is the same; application.log

tailDir source support a file name rotation on Linux OS, but in Window version, flume agent locks the file.

Have you experienced the same issue?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Locked tail files by flume agent on Window

Posted by Alexander Lorenz <wg...@gmail.com>.
Not Flume's agent is locking the file, the fileLock() API from Microsoft is done that. Store() and load() aren't closing the open file, as they do on Linux.

Please note, Flume pre 1.x (also called FlumeNG) won't be developed anymore actively. You can use Flume on a Windows System, build natively or over cygwin. Here a Thread about:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/flume-user/201207.mbox/%3CCAO==xfmLGzOX3WvMC1r-Qar9neBGXDVMZQQfeDDCy9vyCyZvsA@mail.gmail.com%3E

To build Flume natively on windows you can follow this post:
http://mapredit.blogspot.de/2012/07/run-flume-13x-on-windows.html

- Alex

--
Alexander Alten-Lorenz