Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Ronny Völker <ro...@elaxy.com> on 2007/05/02 09:54:25 UTC

Re: svn diff and peg revisions

Daniel Rall <dlr <at> collab.net> writes:

> IIUC, this would create a user interface inconsistency, as I don't
> think "-r" is supported anywhere where it's possible to use two
> different repository URLs.

That's right, but I think the other places where it is possible to use two
"historical" URLs (merge is the only one I remember) would profit from this
feature too.

It should be possible to specify two revisions per URL (one PEG and one
operative revision).

I'm not sure if the combination of the -r option and the @ revisions is the
right way to do it, but for me it looks quite consistent:

svn cat -r<operative_rev> URL@<peg_rev>

svn diff -r<operative_rev_old>:<operative_rev_new> \
   --old URL_old@<peg_rev_old> \
   --new URL_new@<peg_rev_new>

svn merge -r<operative_rev_old>:<operative_rev_new> \
   URL_old@<peg_rev_old> \
   URL_new@<peg_rev_new> \
   [WCpath]

Re: svn diff and peg revisions

Posted by Ronny Völker <ro...@elaxy.com>.
Daniel Rall <dlr <at> collab.net> writes:

> > svn cat -r<operative_rev> URL <at> <peg_rev>
> >
> > svn diff -r<operative_rev_old>:<operative_rev_new> \
> >    --old URL_old <at> <peg_rev_old> \
> >    --new URL_new <at> <peg_rev_new>
> >
> > svn merge -r<operative_rev_old>:<operative_rev_new> \
> >    URL_old <at> <peg_rev_old> \
> >    URL_new <at> <peg_rev_new> \
> >    [WCpath]
>
> Why not set the peg revision to the desired operative revision?

Because in this case i have to figure out manually, which url a directory/file
had at the given operative revision. (In my sample case i have to use /trunk
instead of /branches/v1.0).

In 'svn cat' subversion figures this out for me automatically and I _can_ say:
'display the file which has the url x at HEAD as it was in revision rx.'
In 'svn diff' I _can't_ say the equivalent:
'compare the file which has the url x at HEAD as it was in revision rx,
 with the file which has the url y at HEAD as it was in revision ry.'

I think, if this feature is useful in svn cat, it's as well useful in svn diff
or svn merge.

Re: svn diff and peg revisions

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net>.