Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Drew from Zhrodague <dr...@zhrodague.net> on 2014/03/12 19:51:44 UTC

Opscenter help?

	I am having a hard time installing the Datastax Opscenter agents on EL6
and EL5 hosts. Where is an appropriate place to ask for help? Datastax
has move their forums to Stack Exchange, which seems to be a waste of
time, as I don't have enough reputation points to properly tag my questions.

	The agent installation seems to be broken:
	[] agent rpm conflicts with sudo
	[] install from opscenter does not work, even if manually installing
the rpm (requres --force, conflicts with sudo)
	[] error message re: log4j #noconf
	[] Could not find the main class: opsagent.opsagent. Program will exit.
	[] No other (helpful/more in-depth) documentation exists

--

Drew from Zhrodague
post-apocalyptic ad-hoc industrialist

Re: Opscenter help?

Posted by Rahul Menon <ra...@apigee.com>.
I have seen the conflicts with sudo error but that was with 3.X rpm on the
amazon ami, i was how ever able to install it from the tar ball. As Nick
has pointed out, the versions of OS and Opscenter will help in looking at
this.

Thanks
Rahul

Re: Opscenter help?

Posted by Nick Bailey <ni...@datastax.com>.
I'm happy to help here as well :)

Re: Opscenter help?

Posted by Patricia Gorla <pa...@thelastpickle.com>.
- Were you running a mixed EL5/EL6 environment?
- What exact version of Cassandra were you upgrading from?

As for SE, you have to amass a bit of their magic points before you can
start to take more actions (tagging, down-voting, etc). Surprisingly good
at keeping down spam.
--
Patricia Gorla
@patriciagorla

Consultant
Apache Cassandra Consulting
http://www.thelastpickle.com <http://thelastpickle.com>

Re: Opscenter help?

Posted by Drew from Zhrodague <dr...@zhrodague.net>.
	I have to reply to myself, since there were no helpful responses.
Perhaps these notes can help other people from pulling their hair out.

	When installing the datastax-agent on EL6, it is required to do a bunch
of things to correct a bunch of stuff.

	[] yum install mx4j log4j datastax-agent - do not install
opscenter-agent, this is a stale/old package it seems. Ignore log4j
errors on starting the agent. You may have to download the
datastax-agent and force an install via rpm - it will conflict with
sudo, because of the existance of the dir, /etc/sudo.d/
	[] You may have to fix the UID/GIDs. Older packages set the cassandra
UID/GID both to 217. Installing the agent conveniently mutilated them
for us. I had to change the datastax-agent UID and GID back to 215,
cassnandra UID/GID back to 217, and re-chown these directories:
		() /var/log/cassandra
		() /var/lib/cassandra
		() /var/run/cassandra
		() /var/log/datastax-agent
		() /var/lib/datastax-agent
		() /var/run/datastax-agent
	[] If you can't get datastax-agent to install via opscenter
automatically, you'll need to configure it manually:
		() yum install datastax-agent
		() mkdir -p /var/lib/datastax-agent/conf/
		() echo "stomp_interface: 10.113.143.189" >>
/var/lib/datastax-agent/conf/address.yaml
	[] restart the datastax-agent, and it should now work.

	Cassandra Upgrading notes:

	[] We upgraded packages from apache-cassandra11 to cassandra12 - the
new RPM is not configured as a replacement for the old one.
	[] Check your directory permissions as above, and in your data-storage dir.
	[] If you use a symlink or mount point to store your actual data on, it
will be overwritten with an empty directory. Make sure to fix this, or
you'll be in for a surprise.
	[] Make sure to install Sun Java - we use alternatives --config java,
but have to do this to set the default JAVA_HOME: echo "export
JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jdk1.7.0_51" >> /etc/profile.d/other-java.sh

	I wasn't able to properly tag my questions on StackExchange, which
required me to have a reputation value above 300. I dunno why it brought
up that red box stating that I needed to have over 300 points to add a
new tag, those tags seem to be in there today.

Re: Opscenter help?

Posted by Drew from Zhrodague <dr...@zhrodague.net>.
On 3/13/14, 9:49 AM, Jack Krupansky wrote:
> You don't need any reputation points to ask a new question with an
> existing tag - just type "opscenter" in the Tags box under the question.
> Otherwise, how would any new user ever be able to ask a question and
> have it tagged?!

	I dunno, I don't use SE often - it draws a red box and says I need 300
points to be able to type 'opscenter' in the tags box.

Re: Opscenter help?

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>.
You don't need any reputation points to ask a new question with an existing
tag - just type "opscenter" in the Tags box under the question. Otherwise,
how would any new user ever be able to ask a question and have it tagged?!

-- Jack Krupansky

Posted by Drew from Zhrodague <dr...@zhrodague.net>.

Re: Opscenter help?