Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/15 17:31:44 UTC

GSoC 2013 - A better interface for students to select projects

Currently, PMCs have been entering project ideas as JIRAs defects, and
students have been browsing a JIRA query that aggregates the ideas
from all PMCs.

I would like to make things a little more simple for the students to
find the project that best match their skiils or the areas of their
interest. The idea is to crawl our jira issues and add some more
metadata to the jira based on foap project details, and then present a
UI where students can have more choices to filter project ideas, like
by language (e.g. c or java ) , by area (e.g. cloud), etc

Thoughts ? Other possible things we could add on this tool ?

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende

Re: GSoC 2013 - A better interface for students to select projects

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.
I won't be at ApacheCon but Noirin is to my knowledge.

Uli

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.
+1

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 9:00 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 5:31 PM, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ...I would like to make things a little more simple for the students to
>> find the project that best match their skiils or the areas of their
>> interest. The idea is to crawl our jira issues and add some more
>> metadata to the jira based on foap project details, and then present a
>> UI where students can have more choices to filter project ideas, like
>> by language (e.g. c or java ) , by area (e.g. cloud), etc...
>
> Sounds good, but beyond that we shouldn't hold the student's hands too
> much IMO - we want those who are not ready to do their homework to
> fail early ;-)
>
> -Bertrand

I agree, but I think we can also use this tool more generic, where
people that is trying to get started with open source (via GSoC or
not) to find interesting ideas where they can contribute.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.