Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@lnd.com> on 2000/06/28 21:17:57 UTC

RE: mod_isapi [included mod_perl questions]

Thanks for the info :)

> > I ask because we seem to wait lock on the first mod_perl request until
> > it completes, according to reports from bugs.apache.org - and as we
> > roll the 2.0 MPMs this may become important to more than simply Win32.
>
> that doesn't happen anymore with Perl 5.6.0 and mod_perl-2.0.

Cool.

> > And finally, does mod_isaspi have a maintainer?
>
> you? ;)

Actually, the ISAPI support is several revisions out of spec, and never
supported filters (interesting convergence of issues, no :?)

I may take a crack at this, but the priority is far lower than any of
the cgi or security issues under Win32, including Bill's point that we
need to provide somesuch support of chmod() or abstract the security
and privilage model (if that's even possible).  I'm really suggesting that
if we have no maintainer, that the module is pulled for a few months until
someone (including me, perhaps, but much later) steps up and runs with it.

Bill

> > > you? ;)
> >
> > Actually, the ISAPI support is several revisions out of
> spec, and never
> > supported filters (interesting convergence of issues, no :?)
> >
> > I may take a crack at this, but the priority is far lower
> than any of
> > the cgi or security issues under Win32, including Bill's
> point that we
> > need to provide somesuch support of chmod() or abstract the security
> > and privilage model (if that's even possible).  I'm really
> suggesting that
> > if we have no maintainer, that the module is pulled for a
> few months until
> > someone (including me, perhaps, but much later) steps up
> and runs with it.
>
> I concur with pulling the module. An alternative is to move it to
> modules/experimental/ until somebody picks it back up.

++1 on modules/experimental, and turning it into a Loadable module
(not linked to the core.)  I will proceed on that if the rest of the
list agrees.

This will allow anyone to jump in and contribute the fixes necessary
to bring it up to rev 4 or 5 of the spec, add filters, and fix the
fact that ERROR that was returned in the past had a zero value (it
was a blinkin gdi declaration!!!)  I will spend a few minutes on it
looking at what filtering semantics it supports and how those would
be cross-implementable under Apache.

Bill

Re: mod_isapi

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Wed, Jun 28, 2000 at 02:17:57PM -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> > > And finally, does mod_isaspi have a maintainer?
> >
> > you? ;)
>
> Actually, the ISAPI support is several revisions out of spec, and never
> supported filters (interesting convergence of issues, no :?)
>
> I may take a crack at this, but the priority is far lower than any of
> the cgi or security issues under Win32, including Bill's point that we
> need to provide somesuch support of chmod() or abstract the security
> and privilage model (if that's even possible).  I'm really suggesting that
> if we have no maintainer, that the module is pulled for a few months until
> someone (including me, perhaps, but much later) steps up and runs with it.

I concur with pulling the module. An alternative is to move it to
modules/experimental/ until somebody picks it back up.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/