Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> on 2015/09/04 00:01:48 UTC

Ian Lynch (ingotian) passed away

I was astonished to learn, a couple days ago, that Ian Lynch passed
away. Many of you were probably closer to him and already got the news
(Ian passed away three months ago) but I don't recall reading it on the
OpenOffice lists.

I had never met Ian, but I knew him as a key contributor in the
Education sector. He was also an OpenOffice committer and PMC Member;
his Apache id was "ingotian".

I hope that someone who knew him better will volunteer and write a
couple paragraphs for the OpenOffice blog in his memory.

See http://www.opensourceconsortium.org/ian-lynch/ for more details.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Ian Lynch (ingotian) passed away

Posted by Tony Stevenson <to...@pc-tony.com>.
On a formal note the PMC chair ought to probably notify root@ and
secretary@ of this.

--
Many thanks,

--
Tony

Posted by Tony Stevenson <to...@pc-tony.com>.
On Thu, 3 Sep 2015, at 11:01 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> I hope that someone who knew him better will volunteer and write a
> couple paragraphs for the OpenOffice blog in his memory.

The ASF also has it's own memorials page -
http://www.apache.org/memorials/

Re: Ian Lynch (ingotian) passed away

Posted by JZA <ac...@gmail.com>.
Feel a bit bad since I knew about this news for the past few weeks. I didnt
want to be the one disclosing the news to the rest of the community since
other members also knew about this event and probably would be better
prepared to announce it. I remember working with Ian personally and
sometimes even phisically with the INGOT project, taking trips to south
america, and all across Europe. I pushed with him the vision of an
OpenOffice certification and others interesting projects.

Want to express on this list my sympaties for his family and coworkers on
the community.

On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 5:01 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> I was astonished to learn, a couple days ago, that Ian Lynch passed away.
> Many of you were probably closer to him and already got the news (Ian
> passed away three months ago) but I don't recall reading it on the
> OpenOffice lists.
>
> I had never met Ian, but I knew him as a key contributor in the Education
> sector. He was also an OpenOffice committer and PMC Member; his Apache id
> was "ingotian".
>
> I hope that someone who knew him better will volunteer and write a couple
> paragraphs for the OpenOffice blog in his memory.
>
> See http://www.opensourceconsortium.org/ian-lynch/ for more details.
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor

Re: Ian Lynch (ingotian) passed away

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <ro...@gmail.com>.
That's very sad, I e-met him about 10 years ago, we also tried to run some
business together when I was in the OOo business. I always found his
feedback and inputs valuable, he will be greatly missed and I wish all the
best to his family and relatives.

Roberto

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
Andrea, et al.,

> On 03 Sep 15, at 18:01, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> I was astonished to learn, a couple days ago, that Ian Lynch passed away. Many of you were probably closer to him and already got the news (Ian passed away three months ago) but I don't recall reading it on the OpenOffice lists.

I was a friend of Ian’s but not closer; this comes as a brutal shock. Still, I thank you for informing us. Truly, I am stunned and upset.

> I had never met Ian, but I knew him as a key contributor in the Education sector. He was also an OpenOffice committer and PMC Member; his Apache id was "ingotian".

Ian and I had our differences but those were of long ago. More recently, I wanted rather a lot to work with him and possibly vice versa. Circumstances put that off—

Ian was also formerly a competitive weight lifter and had about him a boundless and infectious energy. All the more to find this news so very shocking.

> I hope that someone who knew him better will volunteer and write a couple paragraphs for the OpenOffice blog in his memory.

I would love to. I suspect, though, that JZA might have volunteer? He worked with Ian, I believe.

> See http://www.opensourceconsortium.org/ian-lynch/ for more details.

Thanks, Andrea.

Louis