Posted to general@commons.apache.org by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> on 2002/10/23 16:58:47 UTC

Avalon and Turbine component repository at Commons?

IMHO Avalon could benefit from a common place where it can store common
Avalon components, and share their development with the component users
without having to involve them in discussions about the core on the
avalon-dev list.

We now have a sub-project called Cornerstone and one called Excalibur,
but the impression I'm having is that other projects, like James or even
Cocoon for example, /sometimes/ don't feel involved in helping the
original Avalon developers making them better, and I can understand the
frustration of feeling more than two steps away from the code.

Moreover, now Turbine is slowly but steadily AFAIK moving towards using
the Avalon framework, and they will end up with a repository of Avalon
components.

A quick mail sent to the Turbine mailing list some time ago about a
possible common Avalon Component repository got good reception, and IMHO
it could really be a *concrete* common code repository.

In essence, it creates more cooperation between projects that create the
components, between the creators and the ones that use them, and be a
comprehensive repository where users can pick.

I have not  a concrete proposal to these projects yet (note: I'm also an
Avalon developer but i speak for myself); wanted to know what you others
think of this.

Thanks.

              - verba volant, scripta manent -

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

apr-serf in Commons?

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.
On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 02:00:04PM -0400, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> does anyone want to tackle the apr-serf business?

This is kind of a minefield at the moment, and here's why:

1) I think most people would agree that serf needs to get more of
   a community and a focused goal before it can become successful.

2) Part of that might be solved in an Incubator, and part of that
   might be solved with more awareness of its existance. I don't really
   know or have any good ideas here.

3) IMHO, If we move serf to the Commons, we should probably consider
   it part of a "HTTP client utilities" subproject. The problem with this
   is in a way, APR itself is a type of Commons project. Is it even
   within the bounds of something like Commons to foster an APR-like
   community? (What about APR-Util?)

-aaron

Serf, WAS: RE: Avalon and Turbine component repository at Commons?

Posted by Sander Striker <st...@apache.org>.

Since discussion (well, more agreement) already started on
serf-dev@, I think this won't be a biggie.

I think we can hash something out within a week.  The
APR PMC won't have any problems with the move of serf to
commons I think I can safely say.

Sander

Serf, WAS: RE: Avalon and Turbine component repository at Commons?

Posted by Sander Striker <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

--
#ken	P-)}