Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Anjishnu Bandyopadhyay <an...@infosys.com> on 2006/02/28 09:34:47 UTC

Exporting data to MS Word.

Hi all,

I am trying to generate a MS Word document through WordML. The report contains some special (accentuated) French characters (e.g. é).

In my java code, I am using "XMLOutputter" to generate the document.

In the action class, I set the "response.setContentType("application/msword; charset=UTF-8");"

Still, in the resulting MS Word document that is generated, those special characters are getting deformed.

(Note that, I do not use any JSP here. From the action class, directly the Word doc is generated.)

Any idea what can be the problem?

Thanks for your time.

With best regards,

Anjishnu.

Re: Exporting data to MS Word.

Posted by Max Cooper <ma...@maxcooper.com>.
I understand now that the output is not a binary Word file, but rather
an XML file that Word can read.

Rather than setting the encoding on the HTTP response, you might need to
set it in the XML. The first line of this page gave me the idea:
http://www.simonstl.com/articles/officeXML/wordML.html

-Max

--
Max Cooper <ma...@maxcooper.com>

Re: Exporting data to MS Word.

Posted by Gareth Evans <ga...@msoft.co.uk>.

Max Cooper wrote:

> Maybe take the generated one and just fix the bad chars, then compare
> the binaries to see what changed. (Word might change all kinds of stuff
> when you save it that isn't related to your edit, though.)
>
> -Max
>
> On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 17:51 -0800, Max Cooper wrote:
>
>>Your HTTP response is a binary Word file, right? If so, it doesn't seem
>>like you should specify that the HTTP response has a charset (since it
>>is binary).
>>
>>Can you create a Word doc with the char you want (by typing in Word)?
>>Maybe you can compare the binary content of your hand-edited Word doc
>>with the one your web app creates to see what is different.
>>
>>-Max
>>
>>On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 14:04 +0530, Anjishnu Bandyopadhyay wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>

>>>I am trying to generate a MS Word document through WordML. The report contains some special (accentuated) French characters (e.g. é).
>>>
>>>In my java code, I am using "XMLOutputter" to generate the document.
>>>
>>>In the action class, I set the "response.setContentType("application/msword; charset=UTF-8");"
>>>

>>>Still, in the resulting MS Word document that is generated, those special characters are getting deformed.
>>>
>>>(Note that, I do not use any JSP here. From the action class, directly the Word doc is generated.)
>>>

>>>Any idea what can be the problem?
>>>

>>>Thanks for your time.
>>>

>>>With best regards,
>>>
>>>Anjishnu.
>>>

>>>**************** CAUTION - Disclaimer *****************
>>>This e-mail contains PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION intended solely for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by e-mail and delete the original message. Further, you are not to copy, disclose, or distribute this e-mail or its contents to any other person and any such actions are unlawful. This e-mail may contain viruses. Infosys has taken every reasonable precaution to minimize this risk, but is not liable for any damage you may sustain as a result of any virus in this e-mail. You should carry out your own virus checks before opening the e-mail or attachment. Infosys reserves the right to monitor and review the content of all messages sent to or from this e-mail address. Messages sent to or from this e-mail address may be stored on the Infosys e-mail system.
>>>***INFOSYS******** End of Disclaimer ********INFOSYS***

--
Gareth Evans

MSoft eSolutions Limited
Technology Centre
Inward Way
Rossmore Business Park
Ellesmere Port
Cheshire
CH65 3EN

--
Tel:    +44 (0)870 0100 704
Fax:    +44 (0)870 9010 705

Terms:
Please note that any prices quoted within this e-mail are subject to VAT.
All program details and code described in this e-mail are subject to
copyright © of MSoft eSolutions Limited and remain the intellectual
property of MSoft eSolutions Limited.
Any proposal or pricing information contained within this e-mail are
subject to MSoft eSolutions' Terms and Conditions
Disclaimer:
This message is intended only for use of the addressee. If this message
was sent to you in error, please notify the sender and delete this
message. MSoft eSolutions Limited cannot accept responsibility for viruses,
so please scan attachments. Views expressed in this message do not
necessarily reflect those of MSoft eSolutions Limited who will not
necessarily be bound by its contents.

Re: Exporting data to MS Word.

Posted by Max Cooper <ma...@maxcooper.com>.

Re: Exporting data to MS Word.