Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com> on 2011/10/14 02:01:50 UTC

Publishing zips to the maven repo

We've been using plain Tomcat zips for creating TomEE in the OpenEJB maven build for a while now.  So far that has been done by publishing the Tomcat zips to a maven repo in svn.  Not the best idea to have them in svn, so we're trying to get them in the actual maven repo.

It's pretty slick to be able to use the maven dependency plugin to download and unpack the zip so you can run integration tests and things like that.  Arquillian does that.  Or do like we do and download & unpack with the dependency plugin, then add some wars & zip up again with the maven assembly plugin.

The current plan is to continue using the org.apache.openejb groupId.  Do we (Tomcat) want to publish them ourselves in the org.apache.tomcat section of the repo?

Not a Tomcat committer obviously, but would be happy to do the setup work so they could go up with the rest of the binaries.

Thoughts?

-David

Re: Publishing zips to the maven repo

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
On Oct 14, 2011, at 6:05 AM, Olivier Lamy wrote:

> 2011/10/14 Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>:
>>>
>>> Can't maven be taught to download them from proper ASF mirrors?
>>
> Possible using this plugin
> http://mojo.codehaus.org/wagon-maven-plugin/download-single-mojo.html

That's where we started and eventually evolved into what we have now.

The build would download the zip to the target directory of the module that needed it.  The downside is every clean build you would have to re-download the zip.  The thought then comes into mind, "if there was only some place I could keep it and download it once" and putting it in the ~/.m2/repository/ directory starts to look really tempting.

At that point it became clear that it would be awkwardly recreating the maven download/mirror system.

>> Adding the full .zip archive to any Maven repo just seems wrong to me
>> (and using the ASF svn server for this is definitely a very bad idea)
>> but if the folks managing the main Maven repo are happy with this then I
>> have no objection.
> The Central Maven repo already contains huge distrib sample
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/archiva/archiva-jetty/1.3.5/archiva-jetty-1.3.5-bin.zip
> which is ~29M.

Right.  Some more examples (glassfish, jboss, jetty):

  http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/glassfish/distributions/glassfish/3.2-b06/
  https://repository.jboss.org/nexus/content/groups/public-jboss/org/jboss/as/jboss-as-dist/7.0.2.Final/
  http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/mortbay/jetty/jetty-hightide/8.0.3.v20111011/

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
2011/10/14 Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>:
> On 14/10/2011 09:15, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
>> 2011/10/14 David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>:
>>> We've been using plain Tomcat zips for creating TomEE in the
>>> OpenEJB maven build for a while now.  So far that has been done by
>>> publishing the Tomcat zips to a maven repo in svn.  Not the best
>>> idea to have them in svn, so we're trying to get them in the actual
>>> maven repo.
>>
>> Can't maven be taught to download them from proper ASF mirrors?

Possible using this plugin
http://mojo.codehaus.org/wagon-maven-plugin/download-single-mojo.html
> +1
>
> There is already a world-wide distribution system in place for the
> file(s) concerned so it makes sense that it should be used.
>
> Adding the full .zip archive to any Maven repo just seems wrong to me
> (and using the ASF svn server for this is definitely a very bad idea)
> but if the folks managing the main Maven repo are happy with this then I
> have no objection.
The Central Maven repo already contains huge distrib sample
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/archiva/archiva-jetty/1.3.5/archiva-jetty-1.3.5-bin.zip
which is ~29M.

> Since the requirements for this are driven by the OpenEJB project and -
> as far as I am aware - they are the only folks with this requirement, I
> suggest that OpenEJB runs with this and publishes the .zip to the main
> Maven repo under the OpenEJB group id.
>
> To ensure that no confusion is caused by this publishing I would ask that:
> - the zip published is an exact copy of that on the mirror system
If you sep the same file in dist on p.a.o and to the repo on this
machine. I don't see why.
> - the zip is not made available via Maven any earlier than it is
> available via the mirrors
The sync from p.a.o is once a day 5:16 PM CST .

> Mark

Olivier Lamy
Talend : http://talend.com

Re: Publishing zips to the maven repo

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.
Great Olivier

Impatient to see it in action, best of both worlds

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.
> I have to search what it's done exactly with that. (BTW version is
> defined in poms with maven).
> I will try to work on that later this week.

Thanks

Re: Publishing zips to the maven repo

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.
Wonderfull

Thanks Olivier !

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
So I have just commit some stuff in r 1187561.
Note: Sources layout not touched.
Currently only maven artifacts are build  (I will work later on distrib).

to test it on the top of https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc7.0.x/trunk.
Just use: mvn -f maven/pom.xml clean install.
Currently some unit tests are failing (so use -DskipTests).
I will try to fix that too.

2011/10/14 Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>:
> Hello,
> I can maybe help here.
> A solution I have in mind to not change sources layout.
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/trunk/
>             /maven/pom.xml (root pom.xml here)
>                        /tomcat-coyote/pom.xml
>                         etc.. one module for each artifact to produce
> plus a module to package the distro.
>
> in each module, compiler plugin will be configured to use only a set
> of java files.
> This won't change the current sources layout
>
> As an example, this solution is used by the selenium project:
> http://selenium.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/maven/
>
> I can maybe try to work on that and provide a patch.
> Or at least commit in trunk (if I have no layout changes to do).
>
> But not before end of next week or early week after.

>>> I should say many companies, including mine are injecting full Tomcat (as
>>> zip) in their enterprise repositories (Archiva/Nexus/Artifactory powered)
>>
>> Are all those related to Maven? Do they publish only zips, or the full
>> set of tgz and zips (~80Mb) ?
>>
>> Keeping an in-house copy of 3rd party library is a different story,
>> and it is needed regardless of whether somebody uses Maven Central to
>> publish their work.
>>
>> I personally am using Apache Ivy [1] to manage my repository of
>> dependencies, and AFAIK it can download not only from maven, but from
>> any other structured repository as well.
>>
>> [1] http://ant.apache.org/ivy/
>>

>>> BTW, did there is a strong -1 to have an alternative build system using
>>> Maven if this build keep the current Tomcat structure ?
>>>

>> There are not may people here to support it here if it breaks, and on
>> RTC branches that would require 3+ committers that understand what
>> happens.
>>

>> There was some discussion here on dev@ about 2 years ago, and some
>> person proposed to create a maven build, but he disappeared never
>> showing anything working.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Konstantin Kolinko

> Olivier Lamy
> Talend : http://talend.com

Olivier Lamy
Talend : http://talend.com

Re: Publishing zips to the maven repo

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hello,
I can maybe help here.
A solution I have in mind to not change sources layout.
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/trunk/
             /maven/pom.xml (root pom.xml here)
                        /tomcat-coyote/pom.xml
                         etc.. one module for each artifact to produce
plus a module to package the distro.

in each module, compiler plugin will be configured to use only a set
of java files.
This won't change the current sources layout

As an example, this solution is used by the selenium project:
http://selenium.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/maven/

I can maybe try to work on that and provide a patch.
Or at least commit in trunk (if I have no layout changes to do).

But not before end of next week or early week after.

2011/10/14 Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>:
> 2011/10/14 Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> This is the first time that I can recall that anyone has stated that
>>> there is a requirement for this.
>>>

>> I should say many companies, including mine are injecting full Tomcat (as
>> zip) in their enterprise repositories (Archiva/Nexus/Artifactory powered)
>
> Are all those related to Maven? Do they publish only zips, or the full
> set of tgz and zips (~80Mb) ?
>
> Keeping an in-house copy of 3rd party library is a different story,
> and it is needed regardless of whether somebody uses Maven Central to
> publish their work.
>
> I personally am using Apache Ivy [1] to manage my repository of
> dependencies, and AFAIK it can download not only from maven, but from
> any other structured repository as well.
>
> [1] http://ant.apache.org/ivy/
>

>> BTW, did there is a strong -1 to have an alternative build system using
>> Maven if this build keep the current Tomcat structure ?
>>

> There are not may people here to support it here if it breaks, and on
> RTC branches that would require 3+ committers that understand what
> happens.
>

> There was some discussion here on dev@ about 2 years ago, and some
> person proposed to create a maven build, but he disappeared never
> showing anything working.
>
> Best regards,
> Konstantin Kolinko

Olivier Lamy
Talend : http://talend.com

Re: Publishing zips to the maven repo

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 14/10/2011 17:53, Henri Gomez wrote:
>> Granted, the Tomcat project currently has no interest in using Maven as
>> a build system but that doesn't mean Maven is ignored. A lot of work
>> went into improving the Maven artefacts for Tomcat 7.
>

> Use of Maven was allready discussed many times and Tomcat project still
> stick with Ant.

For the build, yes.

> BTW, did there is a strong -1 to have an alternative build system using
> Maven if this build keep the current Tomcat structure ?

Minimal changes to the existing layout may be acceptable. It would
depend on the changes and how much disruption the community felt they
would be.

My biggest concern would be the Maven and Ant build scripts getting out
of sync. I really don't want to have to update two build scripts with
every change - particularly when I have no interest in one of them.

Mark

Re: Publishing zips to the maven repo

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 14/10/2011 17:26, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 14/10/2011 17:09, David Jencks wrote:

>> I really hope that just because the main tomcat developers don't see
>> the benefits of the maven ecosystem

[sigh] If that were true, I doubt I'd have observed the acceptance of
the Maven Tomcat plugin by this group.

Re: Publishing zips to the maven repo

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 14/10/2011 17:09, David Jencks wrote:

> On Oct 14, 2011, at 4:06 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:

>> Since the requirements for this are driven by the OpenEJB project
>> and - as far as I am aware - they are the only folks with this
>> requirement, I suggest that OpenEJB runs with this and publishes
>> the .zip to the main Maven repo under the OpenEJB group id.
>>
>> To ensure that no confusion is caused by this publishing I would
>> ask that: - the zip published is an exact copy of that on the
>> mirror system - the zip is not made available via Maven any earlier
>> than it is available via the mirrors
>
> I really hope that just because the main tomcat developers don't see
> the benefits of the maven ecosystem they don't throw away this
> opportunity to make tomcat relate better to it and make life
> significantly easier for projects that are built using maven and use
> tomcat as an integration test prerequisite.  I've seen quite a few
> projects where a lot of the build is not automated because you have
> to track down an appropriate tomcat distro, unpack it, start it, and
> tell the maven build where it is.... then you can run the build
> including the integration tests that use this tomcat server you
> installed by hand.  It the distro were in the maven central repo,
> this could all be automated easily without using little-known
> "download a single file from a non-standard location" techniques.

This is the first time that I can recall that anyone has stated that
there is a requirement for this.

Granted, the Tomcat project currently has no interest in using Maven as
a build system but that doesn't mean Maven is ignored. A lot of work
went into improving the Maven artefacts for Tomcat 7.

> Publishing to maven central the official tomcat distro under any
> other groupid than the tomcat one seems calculated to confuse
> everyone in every way possible.

If there is a wider demand for this than just the OpenEJB project then
publishing under the Tomcat groupid as part of the existing Tomcat 7
Maven publishing script does seem like a better approach. It looks like
an abuse of the Maven repos to me but if the folks managing the Maven
repos are happy with this then I don't see a problem.

As always, patches welcome.

Mark

Re: OT Re: Publishing zips to the maven repo

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.

> <infra hat>
> Binary dependencies for any build process do not belong in svn. The
> infra team doesn't go looking for them but where a project is found
> using them then they will be encouraged to use a more appropriate
> approach. The more excessive the usage, the stronger the encouragement.
> The odd jar is not that big of an issue. I'm pretty sure Tomcat has a
> couple of JSTL jars in svn that go back to before my involvement with
> the project. However, ~100MB (it may be more I didn't look that closely)
> of Maven repo in svn is an issue that needs to be fixed.
>
> Mark
>
> </infra hat>

<infra+ci_hats>

+100

Binaries should live on binary repository, SCM are not a location to store
them.

</infra+ci hats>

OT Re: Publishing zips to the maven repo

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Oct 14, 2011, at 9:18 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:

> On 14/10/2011 17:09, David Jencks wrote:
>> If using a non-tomcat groupId is the
>> only choice I'd keep the openejb copy in apache svn.
>
> That is not an option that is acceptable to the ASF infrastructure team.

In this context, it's pretty much equivalent to an ant based build putting a bunch of jars used in the build in a lib directory in svn.  Has infra prohibited that?

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Oct 14, 2011, at 4:06 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:

> On 14/10/2011 09:15, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
>> 2011/10/14 David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>:
>>> We've been using plain Tomcat zips for creating TomEE in the
>>> OpenEJB maven build for a while now.  So far that has been done by
>>> publishing the Tomcat zips to a maven repo in svn.  Not the best
>>> idea to have them in svn, so we're trying to get them in the actual
>>> maven repo.
>>
>> Can't maven be taught to download them from proper ASF mirrors?
>
> +1
>
> There is already a world-wide distribution system in place for the
> file(s) concerned so it makes sense that it should be used.
>
> Adding the full .zip archive to any Maven repo just seems wrong to me
> (and using the ASF svn server for this is definitely a very bad idea)
> but if the folks managing the main Maven repo are happy with this then I
> have no objection.
>
> Since the requirements for this are driven by the OpenEJB project and -
> as far as I am aware - they are the only folks with this requirement, I
> suggest that OpenEJB runs with this and publishes the .zip to the main
> Maven repo under the OpenEJB group id.
>
> To ensure that no confusion is caused by this publishing I would ask that:
> - the zip published is an exact copy of that on the mirror system
> - the zip is not made available via Maven any earlier than it is
> available via the mirrors

I really hope that just because the main tomcat developers don't see the benefits of the maven ecosystem they don't throw away this opportunity to make tomcat relate better to it and make life significantly easier for projects that are built using maven and use tomcat as an integration test prerequisite.  I've seen quite a few projects where a lot of the build is not automated because you have to track down an appropriate tomcat distro, unpack it, start it, and tell the maven build where it is.... then you can run the build including the integration tests that use this tomcat server you installed by hand.  It the distro were in the maven central repo, this could all be automated easily without using little-known "download a single file from a non-standard location" techniques.

Publishing to maven central the official tomcat distro under any other groupid than the tomcat one seems calculated to confuse everyone in every way possible.  If using a non-tomcat groupId is the only choice I'd keep the openejb copy in apache svn.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.

Fwd: Publishing zips to the maven repo

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
Backup strategy would be to vote and publish these zips ourselves.

Begin forwarded message:

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
except some webapps included in distrib are not in central repo:
* manager
* host-manager
* examples
* docs
* ROOT

2011/10/14 Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>:
>>> The goal is to have this as a maven artifact:
>>>

>>> http://www.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-7/v7.0.22/bin/apache-tomcat-7.0.22.zip
>>
>> You really need this file? I think you just use the jars in the file,
>> correct?
>
> David, why do you want to use a complete distro instead of
> independants artifacts ?
>
> We now have a Maven guru in the team, Olivier and it shouldn't be hard
> to him to provide an assembly to do such packaging.

Olivier Lamy
Talend : http://talend.com

Re: Publishing zips to the maven repo

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@gmail.com>.
On 10/14/2011 09:17 AM, David Blevins wrote:

> On Oct 14, 2011, at 12:07 AM, jean-frederic clere wrote:
>
>> On 10/14/2011 02:01 AM, David Blevins wrote:
>>> We've been using plain Tomcat zips for creating TomEE in the OpenEJB maven build for a while now.  So far that has been done by publishing the Tomcat zips to a maven repo in svn.  Not the best idea to have them in svn, so we're trying to get them in the actual maven repo.
>>>
>>> It's pretty slick to be able to use the maven dependency plugin to download and unpack the zip so you can run integration tests and things like that.  Arquillian does that.  Or do like we do and download&   unpack with the dependency plugin, then add some wars&   zip up again with the maven assembly plugin.
>>>
>>> The current plan is to continue using the org.apache.openejb groupId.  Do we (Tomcat) want to publish them ourselves in the org.apache.tomcat section of the repo?
>>
>> We already have a bunch of sources/binaries in the maven repo can't you build using it? - In other words what is missing or wrong? -
>
> I didn't notice the actual fully assembled Tomcat zip file.  Is that there or you referring to the individual jars?

Right there isn't a tomcat.zip file but a bunch of artefacts.

> The goal is to have this as a maven artifact:
>
>    http://www.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-7/v7.0.22/bin/apache-tomcat-7.0.22.zip

You really need this file? I think you just use the jars in the file,
correct?

Cheers

Jean-Frederic

Re: Publishing zips to the maven repo