Posted to dev@creadur.apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <rd...@apache.org> on 2013/08/11 21:54:42 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Whisker 0.1

This is the release vote to promote the orgapachecreadur-059 candidate
to official Apache Whisker 0.1 release. See below for repository, tag
and revision.

Apache Whisker uses Maven, and this release candidate was prepared
following[1]. See [2] for more background on Apache releases and [3] may
answer your questions. Details about my code signing keys are available
at [6].

Everyone is encouraged to vote, express their opinions and jump in if
they find anything wrong with the release. Only PMC votes are binding on
Apache, and for this candidate to become an official Apache Software
Foundation release 3 +1's are required and more +1's than -1's[4].

I'll tally this release vote no earlier than Noon Friday 16 August UTC[5]

If this VOTE passes then (as before) I'll remove the compressed archives
before promoting the repository and distribute these from our mirrors.
Once the mirrors and repositories have sync'd, the next stage will be to
announce the release.

If anyone has any questions about the process or the candidate, please
dive in...

Robert

[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/publishing-maven-artifacts.html
[2] http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html
[3] http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html
[4] http://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#MajorityApproval
[5] http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20130816T12
[6] http://people.apache.org/~rdonkin/

Staging repository:
*
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecreadur-059/org/apache/creadur/whisker/

Tag:
* http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/creadur/whisker/tags/apache-whisker-0.1/

Revision:
* http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1510150

--8<----------------------------------------------------------
[ ] +1 Release orgapachecreadur-059 as Apache Whisker 0.1
[ ] +0
[ ] -0
[ ] -1 Do not release orgapachecreadur-058 as Apache Whisker 0.1

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Whisker 0.1

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <rd...@apache.org>.
On 08/11/13 20:54, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

<snip>

Here's my +1

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <rd...@apache.org>.
On 08/11/13 20:54, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

<snip>

> [1] http://www.apache.org/dev/publishing-maven-artifacts.html
> [2] http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html
> [3] http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html
> [4] http://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#MajorityApproval
> [5] http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20130816T12
> [6] http://people.apache.org/~rdonkin/

Apologies for missing a link

KEYS: http://www.apache.org/dist/creadur/KEYS

Whisker helps projects maintain accurate LICENSE and NOTICE documents
for applications. This is often quite a chore. Hopefully, once this
first release is complete, Whisker will start to make it a little easier...

Robert

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Whisker 0.1

Posted by "P. Ottlinger" <po...@aiki-it.de>.
Am 11.08.2013 21:54, schrieb Robert Burrell Donkin:
> --8<----------------------------------------------------------
> [ ] +1 Release orgapachecreadur-059 as Apache Whisker 0.1
> [ ] +0
> [ ] -0
> [ ] -1 Do not release orgapachecreadur-058 as Apache Whisker 0.1

+1

Cheers
Phil

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Whisker 0.1

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 11 August 2013 20:54, Robert Burrell Donkin <rd...@apache.org> wrote:
> This is the release vote to promote the orgapachecreadur-059 candidate to
> official Apache Whisker 0.1 release. See below for repository, tag and
> revision.
>
> Apache Whisker uses Maven, and this release candidate was prepared
> following[1]. See [2] for more background on Apache releases and [3] may
> answer your questions. Details about my code signing keys are available at
> [6].
>
> Everyone is encouraged to vote, express their opinions and jump in if they
> find anything wrong with the release. Only PMC votes are binding on Apache,
> and for this candidate to become an official Apache Software Foundation
> release 3 +1's are required and more +1's than -1's[4].
>
> I'll tally this release vote no earlier than Noon Friday 16 August UTC[5]
>
> If this VOTE passes then (as before) I'll remove the compressed archives
> before promoting the repository and distribute these from our mirrors. Once
> the mirrors and repositories have sync'd, the next stage will be to announce
> the release.
>
> If anyone has any questions about the process or the candidate, please dive
> in...
>
> Robert
>
> [1] http://www.apache.org/dev/publishing-maven-artifacts.html
> [2] http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html
> [3] http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html
> [4] http://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#MajorityApproval
> [5] http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20130816T12
> [6] http://people.apache.org/~rdonkin/

> Staging repository:
> *
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecreadur-059/org/apache/creadur/whisker/
>
> Tag:
> * http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/creadur/whisker/tags/apache-whisker-0.1/
>
> Revision:
> * http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1510150

Tag agrees with source archive.
Hashes and sigs OK (tested with actual KEYS file).

> --8<----------------------------------------------------------
> [ ] +1 Release orgapachecreadur-059 as Apache Whisker 0.1
> [ ] +0
> [ ] -0
> [X] -1 Do not release orgapachecreadur-058 as Apache Whisker 0.1

Ironically, there are lots of problems with the NOTICE files.

They have spurious spaces and trailing blank lines.

However the main problem are the NOTICE files in the CLI jars.

The CLI source jar does not contain Jdom, yet the NOTICE file mentions
it and there are additional jdom files in the META-INF directory.

The CLI binary jar does contain jdom, but the NOTICE file is wrong -
it should not contain any references to other ASF projects unless they
have non-standard NOTICE files.

And the header should be removed.

The NOTICE and LICENSE files must only contain information for the
artifact to which they apply.
And the NOTICE file in particular must not contain anything that is
not required.

Regarding the packaging, I'm not sure why the dependencies are even
bundled in the cli jar.

It seems to me that the CLI application should be bundled separately
as a binary archive for those who are not using Maven.
Like we did for RAT.

Anyone using Maven to depend on the CLI jar will get the dependencies
automatically.

It's much easier to include the correct N&L files in jars if they only
contain classes compiled from the Whisker source, because in general
they will be the same as the source N&L files. The only difference is
where one or more modules have additional N&L requirements. These will
need to be included in any source or binary artifacts that include
them, i.e. the modules themselves and any compilations containing the
modules - e.g. the full project.

The bundle-with-dependencies can be handled separately so the correct
N&L files are included.