Posted to dev@juddi.apache.org by Andy Cutright <An...@borland.com> on 2004/04/06 18:36:30 UTC

RE: jUDDI quick installation HowTo (linux/mysql/tomcat)

hi ilias,

one section in this doc particularly interests me. you have some stuff
for configuring MySQL for the user 'juddi'. is this stuff required out
of the box? have you tested it with the proprietary jUDDI administrative
extensions like add_publisher, etc.? if so, this would be a good
candidate for adding to the juddi_mysql.ddl script.

your documents are good resources. a lot of this stuff covers
configuring MySQL and tomcat, and is not specific to jUDDI. i'm a bit
hesitant to add this information to the jUDDI site, since it may become
out of date, etc.

the wiki might be a good location for your documents. it's a community
area, and is a good place for users to persistently store information.

cheers,
andy

Posted by istergiou <is...@yahoo.co.uk>.
Andy,
    the *juddi user* is used to allow tomcat to connect to mysql. Tomcat
is using the same juddi user to setup the connection pool with mysql. It
is not a *juddi publisher* account. Some instructions therein increase
the security of the mysql installation (it changes the default user
password and default user permissions).

There is a different *juddi publisher* (presented in the
JdbcAuthenticator.xml), that is added in the new
PUBLISHER_AUTHENTICATION table, that assignes a password to the juddi
publisher for the use of the JdbcAuthenticator. The proprietary
add_publisher function may be implemented to add the password to that
table if you like that...

Independent of adding that functionality to the add_publisher function,
I believe the PUBLISHER_AUTHENICATION should be added to the
juddi_mysql.ddl.

I understand your hasitation to add that how-tos to the site because are
mysql and tomcat specific. The plan is to increase the content by adding
instructions for more DBMS and Web containers. For example, I can do
Oracle, Postgress and WebLogic. Maybe a howto section at the site is
more appropriate since wiki is not something widely known. For example,
I know what wiki is, but I am still searching to find where is the jUDDI
wiki ;-)

Ilias