Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by "mike.peter.lear" <mi...@condotta.co.uk> on 2011/01/14 13:17:00 UTC

Slow Consumers Advisory Topic not showing

Hi any help would be appreciated. I am having some problems with slow
consumers and wanted to start monitoring them through our monitoring tools.

I am using activemq 5.4.0 on windows 7 with java 1.6.0_22. I have a
destination policy set in my activemq config.

<destinationPolicy>
      <policyMap>
        <policyEntries>
                        <policyEntry queue=">"
advisoryForSlowConsumers="true" sendAdvisoryIfNoConsumers="true" />
        </policyEntries>
        </policyMap>
 </destinationPolicy>

but when I connect using jconsole I don't get the Advisory Topic For
SlowConsumers I get

ActiveMQ.Advisory.Connection
ActiveMQ.Advisory.Topic

but nothing else. Which Topic should the Advisory for slow consumers appear
on.

Thanks

Mike

Re: ActiveMQ broker threads

Posted by Reynald Borer <re...@gmail.com>.
Hi Petrucci,

Thread management can be altered through your broker configuration so it's hard to answer your questions. You should check http://fusesource.com/wiki/display/ProdInfo/Understanding+the+Threads+Allocated+in+ActiveMQ first, it explain quite well how threads are managed.

Extra configuration parameters that can change the number of threads are:
- the connector you use: with tcp you have one thread per connection, but if you switch to nio then it is no more the case
- if you start your broker with "-Dorg.apache.activemq.UseDedicatedTaskRunner=false"then you do not have one dispatch thread per queue anymore but a pool of threads instead (see http://activemq.apache.org/how-do-i-configure-10s-of-1000s-of-queues-in-a-single-broker-.html).

Hope my answer help addressing your concern.

Regards,
Reynald

ActiveMQ broker threads

Posted by Petrucci Andreas <pe...@hotmail.com>.

Re: Slow Consumers Advisory Topic not showing

Posted by Condotta <mi...@condotta.co.uk>.
Thanks Dejan

At what point is a Slow Consumer considered Slow is it configurable. I've tried looking through the website and my copy of ActiveMQ in action but I can't find anything specific about this.

Many Thanks

Mike

Posted by Dejan Bosanac <de...@nighttale.net>.
Hi Mike,