Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net> on 2013/03/12 20:15:40 UTC

Forums down (SQL error: Too many connections [1040])

Hi,

The forums have been running rather slowly recently. There are even error messages on the FR forum.
Right now I can't reach the EN forum... And I confirm the error message:
General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]
Too many connections [1040]

Could someone have a look please?

TIA
Hagar

Re: Forums down (SQL error: Too many connections [1040])

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 12:01 PM, FR web forum <oo...@free.fr> wrote:
>>If this is going to be a regular occurrence
> Sorry but the best thing to do is to fix this issue.

Yes, that would be best.  But this does not appear to be happening
very quickly, so my suggestion is one way to keep the users informed
while we wait for the best to happen.  In this case we've had outages
over 8 days.  But even if this was just a 1 hour outage, having a
place on our website where we let users know "we're investigating" is
better than an error message.

-Rob

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Hagar Delest wrote:
> Le 22/03/2013 23:35, Rob Weir a écrit :
>> Didn't we just run into an attachment size limitation right before
>> this happened?
> Only in one of the NL area, it was fixed by some clean up and anyway
> this can be easily changed from the admin panel. No need of specific
> access and no link I think with MySQL.

Indeed. It was in the Italian forum and it was fixed by Paolo Pozzan by
raising the size limit, but this has no effect of the MySQL performance.

> There has been some work on the wiki recently, could it be linked?

No. While many, including me, for some reason assumed that the wiki and
the forum were sharing the same virtual machine, they are currently
using two distinct virtual machines.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Forums down (SQL error: Too many connections [1040])

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.

Posted by FR web forum <oo...@free.fr>.
Well, it's 11 o'clock in the morning and MySQL is outage.
:-(

Re: Forums down (SQL error: Too many connections [1040])

Posted by Rob Weir <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Mar 23, 2013, at 7:24 AM, Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net> wrote:

> Le 22/03/2013 23:35, Rob Weir a écrit :
>> On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 5:53 PM, Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net> wrote:
>>> But there is something I don't catch: the forum has been running fine for
>>> the 5 previous years. Has any change been made to the system recently? I
>>> can't see why it should suddenly stop working like that.
>>
>> Didn't we just run into an attachment size limitation right before
>> this happened?
>
> Only in one of the NL area, it was fixed by some clean up and anyway this can be easily changed from the admin panel. No need of specific access and no link I think with MySQL.

The point is that increased data loads can cause things that once
worked to start giving errors.

With a connection pool you need to look at average load as well as
average duration of connections. If the database grows and query times
increase then your connection pool utilization can increase.  I know
nothing specifically about phpBB but this is general.  So occasional
tuning is a good idea since the DB is constantly growing.

-Rob

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
The community still needs a LAMP / MySQL sysadmin to check the tuning so that connection leaks don't take it down later (or sooner)

If someone in the project did the work we should be informed.

Thanks,
Dave

Posted by FR web forum <oo...@free.fr>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
FR web forum wrote:
> Result of my dialog with #asfinfra ...
> The issue is that MySQL has not been tuned and needs to be. You should contact the OOO community.

OK, even though this does not explain why the forum performance degraded
only in the last weeks. Infra is right in saying that they can give some
help, but that we cannot demand it, since technically this is not a
platform they support.

Now, would you be able to help? If you have some knowledge in the area
we can give you access to the current configuration. I'm going to
request access for me too, since we clearly need to enlarge the
administrators group. This does not mean that everybody will go and
change configuration as they wish, but that we have a larger group of
people available in case a service needs to be restarted and that
configuration changes can be validated within a larger group.

> Maybe because you stop just at the root http://forum.openoffice.org
> This page is HTML and work fine indeed.

I was actually monitoring (meaning: opening a couple times a day)
http://forum.openoffice.org/it/forum/
and I had found it slow but never unreachable.

I've tried to login and post about one hour ago and I've now seen the
1040 error. I was able to post anyway, but it required a couple of
attempts, and I agree it is frustrating for users and needs to be fixed.
For the record, I see the forum perfectly responsive at the moment.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Forums down (SQL error: Too many connections [1040])

Posted by FR web forum <oo...@free.fr>.

----- Mail original -----
De: "Dave Fisher" <wa...@apache.org>
>In these situations it is best to get on irc #asfinfra and ask
>in general about it. Imacat might be there but there is usually
>at least one infra person on line.
Result of my dialog with #asfinfra
[11:15] <@pctony> fr__: this service is technically a community run service
[11:15] <fr__> i don't know what is mean
[11:16] <@pctony> basically it means, in plain english, this is not truly an infra issue.
[11:18] <fr__> well how can we fixed this issue?
[11:20] <@pctony> fr__: I can restart the webservice, but this wont fix the problem! The issue is that MySQL has not been tuned and needs to be. You should contact the OOO community.

Re: Forums down (SQL error: Too many connections [1040])

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
In these situations it is best to get on irc #asfinfra and ask in general about it. Imacat might be there but there is usually at least one infra person on line.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by FR web forum <oo...@free.fr>.
>> It has worked fine the 5 previous years. So there must be somthing that
>> has been done on the hosting part.
Maybe because PhpBB is outdated now.
We are still in 3.0.9 instead of 3.0.11

>I was probably just lucky, but I never saw the forum offline
>these days.
Maybe because you stop just at the root http://forum.openoffice.org
This page is HTML and work fine indeed.
But if you choose a forum, error occurs.

Re: Forums down (SQL error: Too many connections [1040])

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alexander Thurgood <al...@gmail.com>.
Le 20/03/13 21:14, Hagar Delest a écrit :

> With each passing day, we lose users that
>> search some help on other forums.

Not only that, but the wealth of information that is already there is no
longer accessible.

And yes, before the switch to new hosting, I can not remember it ever
being down for so long.

Alex

Re: Forums down (SQL error: Too many connections [1040])

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.
Le 20/03/2013 17:01, FR web forum a écrit :
>> If this is going to be a regular occurrence
> Sorry but the best thing to do is to fix this issue.
> Since a couple of days, I asked to check the MySQL
> max_connections parameter.
> Somebody did it?
>
> With each passing day, we lose users that
> search some help on other forums.

+1.

Posted by FR web forum <oo...@free.fr>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 5:22 AM, Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 09:07:01 +0000
> Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> wrote:
>
>> En Forum down again just now.
>>

> En-Forum now back - only a 15 min outage this time!

If this is going to be a regular occurrence, I wonder if we should put
some sort of outage notice on our main support webpage?  We can then
direct users to the users mailing list if the forum us down.

-Rob

> --
> Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Forums down (SQL error: Too many connections [1040])

Posted by ha...@laposte.net.
Forum back but not very stable.

Hagar

Laposte.net, messager officiel du Rallye des Gazelles en 2013 ! Pour suivre le Rallye Aïcha des Gazelles et soutenir les participantes, cliquez sur www.laposte.net/thematique/rallye-des-gazelles

Re: Forums down (SQL error: Too many connections [1040])

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
En Forum down again just now.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Forums down (SQL error: Too many connections [1040])

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.
Le 20/03/2013 00:02, RGB ES a écrit :
> ES forum is working at normal speed too.

EN seems fine too.
According to the statistics, that made almost 11 hours down.

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.
2013/3/19 F C. Costero <fj...@gmail.com>

> The English forum is back up. I haven't checked any others.
> Francis

ES forum is working at normal speed too.

Regards
Ricardo

Posted by "F C. Costero" <fj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by FR web forum <oo...@free.fr>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
hagar.delest wrote:
> Forums are down again. Same error.
> Maybe for one hour now.

This is monitored at http://status.apache.org/
(it is listed under "ooo-forums.apache.org").

The red status only means that the relevant people have already received
a notification, not that someone is actively working on it.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Forums down (SQL error: Too many connections [1040])

Posted by ha...@laposte.net.
Don't know if imacat has noticed. I'd PMed and mailed her about this topic a while ago (for the findings that had been given at the beginning).
Not sure if Drew can do something also (may be to early for him).

This makes around 3 hours off by now and USA is waking up...

Hagar

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 1:54 PM,  <ha...@laposte.net> wrote:
> It should be much higher on the EN forum.
> The 294 figure (statistics information at the bottom of the forum index page) is an instantaneous measurement.

Do we know what the timeout is for a connection?

I don't know if it is the same here, but in other systems I've worked
on, if you have N simultaneous users you can have more than N
connections active, since users who recently left may still have
connections allocated, until they time out for inactivity.

-Rob

Posted by FR web forum <oo...@free.fr>.
>Reports from other forums using phpBB software suggest that overflowing
>log files can cause this problem.
Maybe

>I note that the maximum number of users listed by the Forum reports has
>remained static at 294 since 25 October 2012; I have never observed a
>number of users close to that figure at any time, so I doubt the problem
>is actually an insufficient number of connections
Maybe too

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Fri, 15 Mar 2013 11:04:09 +0100 (CET)
FR web forum <oo...@free.fr> wrote:

> >The forum are back now.
> Thanks imacat
> But, this morning 11:00am (UTC+1), the FR forum is slow again.

> Do you have check this point?

Reports from other forums using phpBB software suggest that overflowing log files can cause this problem. I offer this merely as a suggestion - I have no phpBB experience.

I note that the maximum number of users listed by the Forum reports has remained static at 294 since 25 October 2012; I have never observed a number of users close to that figure at any time, so I doubt the problem is actually an insufficient number of connections, no matter what the reort says.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Forums down (SQL error: Too many connections [1040])

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.
Right now, EN and ES forums are quite unstable, giving the "too many
connections" error every now and then, and being quite slow the rest of the
time.

Posted by FR web forum <oo...@free.fr>.

Posted by FR web forum <oo...@free.fr>.

Posted by imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>.
Dear all,

    The forum are back now.

On 2013/03/15 00:24, imacat said:
> Hmm... we seem to lost the forums now.
> I'd written to the infra team for help on reboot.  We shall see later.
>
> On 2013/03/13 18:22, janI said:
>> HI.
>>
>> It sounds more like a mismatch between the number of httpd worker tasks and
>> mysql max_connections. It is important that max_connections is higher than
>> the number of work tasks (or with fast-cgi the number of php processes).
>> When correctly configured you will just experience longer reply times, when
>> the server is busy and no sql errors.
>>
>> I fixed a similar problem on mwiki as part of the upgrade, but I do not
>> have access the vm where the forum runs.
>>
>> rgds
>> Jan I.
>>
>> On 13 March 2013 11:15, FR web forum <oo...@free.fr> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>> Forums are outage again this morning with same error.
>>> Maybe the MySQL max_connections parameter must be increase.

Best regards,
imacat ^_*' <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>

OpenOffice http://www.openoffice.org/
Greenfoot Taiwan http://greenfoot.westart.tw/

Re: Forums down (SQL error: Too many connections [1040])

Posted by imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
HI.

Posted by FR web forum <oo...@free.fr>.