Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/01 10:14:32 UTC

PLEASE REVIEW: New release notes and changes generated for 10.3.3

Hi everyone,

I made a pass at making a real RELEASE-NOTES.html and CHANGES.html for
10.3.3.0 based on the latest code and JIRA results. The output is
here:

http://people.apache.org/~fuzzylogic/10.3.3.0/RELEASE-NOTES.html
http://people.apache.org/~fuzzylogic/10.3.3.0/CHANGES.html

Please let me know if you have any additions, clarifications, or
changes to make.

Thanks,
andrew

Re: PLEASE REVIEW: New release notes and changes generated for 10.3.3

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 4:05 PM, Mike Matrigali <mi...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I have the same concerns, we really don't want to undersell how hard it may
> be to get your data back.  How about something like:
>
>  <snip suggestion/>

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the suggestion, I've incorporated part of it. I want to
keep it brief, so I think we should ask users to post to derby-user if
they find they have been affected by this issue for advice specific to
their situation. Here's my proposed updated announcement:

-----

NOTICE TO ALL DERBY v10.3 USERS : CRITICAL FIX NOW AVAILABLE

 The Bottom Line:

 If you are currently using Derby 10.3.1.4 or Derby 10.3.2.1, it is strongly
 recommended that you upgrade to Derby 10.4.1.3 or 10.3.3.0 to avoid
 any chance of database corruption due to an issue with multiple threads
 accessing a database that is documented in <a
href="issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-3347">DERBY-3347</a>.

 This bug can cause unrecoverable database corruption during periods of
 heavy, multi-thread I/O operations.  The error produced in the test case
 used to diagnose the problem was:

 ERROR XSDB3: Container information cannot change once written: was 0, now 80

 It is felt that other errors might also be generated when this type of
 corruption occurs.  The corruption message will most likely refer to page 0
 of the container. For example:

 ERROR XSDG1: Page Page(0 ,Container(0, 5856)) could not be
 written...

 This bug corrupts the pages on disk and can go unnoticed.  If you do not
 run database consistency checks regularly it is recommended you begin doing
 so as soon as possible after the upgrade.  To insure that corruption has not
 already occurred in existing databases, after upgrade run the database
 consistency check at least once to validate all tables in the database.  This
 process is documented at:

 http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DatabaseConsistencyCheck

If the corruption has already occurred there is no guaranteed recovery of data
other than to recover from the last good backup.  When doing so one should
also check that the previous backup did not also have the corruption.

In some cases one may recover data from the existing
database, depending on the extent of the corruption, but will require
by hand data recovery.  Depending on the type of corruption this may
be successful or not. one should consult the Derby list if attempting
this recovery - no automatic software solution to this recovery exists.

 Version 10.3.3.0 can be downloaded from:
 http://db.apache.org/derby/releases/release-10.3.3.0.cgi

 Version 10.4.1.3 can be downloaded from:
 http://db.apache.org/derby/releases/release-10.4.1.3.cgi

For help or questions, please post to derby-user@db.apache.org.

For instructions on how to subscribe to derby-user, please see:

http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_mail.html

----

I'll begin building the release shortly, and will include this version
of the announcement in the release notes.

Posted by Mike Matrigali <mi...@sbcglobal.net>.
I have the same concerns, we really don't want to undersell how hard it
may be to get your data back.  How about something like:

If the corruption has already occurred there is no guaranteed recovery
of data other than to recover from the last good backup.  When doing so
one should also check that the previous backup did not also have the
corruption.

In some cases one may recover data from the existing
database, depending on the extent of the corruption, but will require
by hand data recovery.  Depending on the type of corruption this may
be successful or not. one should consult the Derby list if attempting
this recovery - no automatic software solution to this recovery exists.
Recovering data in this manner depends on the database being able to
boot, some instances of this corruption are uncovered during recovery
boot and in that case the situation is even harder to recover from.

This corruption affects one file at a time in derby, though may affect
multiple files in a single database.  Tools exist to check the
consistency of all files in the database.  Derby stores each index and base
table data in a single file so if only one file is corrupted other files
may be accessible.

Examples of ways one may try to salvage data from a corrupted database
include:
o dropping and recreating an existing index (but it may take software
hacking to get the drop of the index to work depending on the type of
corruption).
o dropping only the affected tables.
o By hand exporting data from affected tables and importing into a fresh
db created with software that has the fix.

Those that have lost critical data to this corruption and don't have a
backup should consult the experts on the list for ideas.

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 1:58 AM, Knut Anders Hatlen <Kn...@sun.com> wrote:

>  The changes and release notes look very good. I only have two minor
>  comments to the release notes:
>
>  1) Under "Issues", it says:
>
>   Compared with the previous release (10.3.2.1), Derby release 10.3.3.0
>   introduces the following new features and incompatibilities.
>
>  None of the issues listed are new features, though, and only one of them
>  introduces an incompatibility.

I think the release notes generator has this text hardcoded. I'll fix
it up by hand for the actual release.

>  2) The build environment section says that Ant 1.7.0 is used, but the
>  manifest file in the test candidate says Ant 1.6.5.

I'll fix this.

thanks for the feedback,

Posted by Knut Anders Hatlen <Kn...@Sun.COM>.
Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I made a pass at making a real RELEASE-NOTES.html and CHANGES.html for
> 10.3.3.0 based on the latest code and JIRA results. The output is
> here:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~fuzzylogic/10.3.3.0/RELEASE-NOTES.html
> http://people.apache.org/~fuzzylogic/10.3.3.0/CHANGES.html
>
> Please let me know if you have any additions, clarifications, or
> changes to make.

Hi Andrew,

--
Knut Anders

Re: PLEASE REVIEW: New release notes and changes generated for 10.3.3

Posted by Kristian Waagan <Kr...@Sun.COM>.
Andrew McIntyre skrev:
> On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Kathey Marsden
> <km...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> Kristian Waagan wrote:
>>

>>> An
>>>
>>> Can you state your current plan for the release?
>>> There's a fix I want to get into the release, but at the moment it is not
>>>
>> entirely clear to me when you will produce it or if I'm already too late.
>>

>>  I can't speak for Andrew but I don't think its too late. He said last call
>> is Friday, that would be tomorrow local time.
>>

> That's correct. I would like the cutoff to be 5pm PST Friday, May 2.
> Please let me know if you have something you really want to get in and
> you think it's not going to make it at that time and we'll discuss it.

Okay Andrew,

I believe I'm okay and done :) Just put in the fix I want to see in 10.3.

regards,
--
Kristian

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
Kristian Waagan wrote:
> An
> Can you state your current plan for the release?
> There's a fix I want to get into the release, but at the moment it is
> not entirely clear to me when you will produce it or if I'm already
> too late.

I can't speak for Andrew but I don't think its too late. He said last
call is Friday, that would be tomorrow local time.

Kathey

Re: PLEASE REVIEW: New release notes and changes generated for 10.3.3

Posted by Kristian Waagan <Kr...@Sun.COM>.
Andrew McIntyre skrev:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I made a pass at making a real RELEASE-NOTES.html and CHANGES.html for
> 10.3.3.0 based on the latest code and JIRA results. The output is
> here:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~fuzzylogic/10.3.3.0/RELEASE-NOTES.html
> http://people.apache.org/~fuzzylogic/10.3.3.0/CHANGES.html
>
> Please let me know if you have any additions, clarifications, or
> changes to make.

Hi Andrew,

Can you state your current plan for the release?
There's a fix I want to get into the release, but at the moment it is
not entirely clear to me when you will produce it or if I'm already too
late.

Thank you for making another release :)

regards,
--