Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Harsha Suranjith Amarasiri <ha...@gmail.com> on 2018/10/09 08:58:01 UTC

Setting up dev environment

Hi all,

I need to set up tomcat development environment on Intellij Idea running on
Windows 10 - 64 bit OS.

I have searched, searched and searched and I cannot find a resource that
will help me accomplish that. Also is there  a developer quickstart for
tomcat project ?
It would be massively helpful for me to get started.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Harsha Amarasiri

Re: Setting up dev environment

Posted by Harsha Suranjith Amarasiri <ha...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Violeta , Marek,

I want to contribute to Tomcat project, therefore I want to setup the
development environment and learn the internals.

For dependency management and build process I have always used Maven and
Gradle,
therefore Ant is kind of new to me. However I figured out what's happening
after reading Violeta's reply. Thank you very much.

I was able to get the application running, but still throws
some exceptions. Its complaining that JspFactory is null.
It may be due to the method I have setup the IDE to run/debug application
using the Bootstrap class.
I may not be passing some required params.

Is there a guide available for the developers at the initial learning
phases of the application ??

Thanks you again for your support,

Best Regards,

Harsha

Posted by Marek Czernek <mc...@redhat.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Violeta Georgieva <vi...@apache.org>.
Hi,

На вт, 9.10.2018 г. в 11:58 ч. Harsha Suranjith Amarasiri <
harshasuranjith@gmail.com> написа:

> Hi all,
>
> I need to set up tomcat development environment on Intellij Idea running
on
> Windows 10 - 64 bit OS.
>
> I have searched, searched and searched and I cannot find a resource that
> will help me accomplish that. Also is there  a developer quickstart for
> tomcat project ?
> It would be massively helpful for me to get started.

Try with this ant target

ant ide-intellij

When you need to see all ant targets you can execute

ant -p

Regards,
Violeta