Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David Kerber <dc...@verizon.net> on 2007/04/18 15:44:12 UTC

Location of APR Win32 binaries

Where can I find the binaries download of the Win32 APR?  I can find the
source on the APR page of the tomcat site, but not the binaries...

Dave

Re: Location of APR Win32 binaries

Posted by Markus Schönhaber <ma...@schoenhaber.de>.
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:

> The .dll for APR is included in the .exe download; no other pieces are
> required.

Hm, IIRC it's not contained in the .exe but the installer downloads it during
the install if you tell it to.

Regards
  mks

Re: Location of APR Win32 binaries

Posted by David Kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.
That's what I needed; thanks.  I'm seeing this line in my logs:

Apr 18, 2007 9:56:30 AM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol start

which from what you said means it's seeing the tcnative.dll.

Thanks for all your help, Markus!
Dave

Posted by Markus Schönhaber <ma...@schoenhaber.de>.

Posted by David Kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:

>>From: David Kerber [mailto:dckerber@verizon.net]
>>Subject: Re: Location of APR Win32 binaries
>>
>>Do I need to do something to tell it to be used?
>>

>Yes: when you run the .exe installer, you'll get a "Choose Components"
>screen; the Tomcat box is gray, indicating that some pieces are not
>enabled.  Open that up, and click the Native check box.  As Markus
>pointed out, this initiates the download of the .dll, placing it in the
>bin directory.

That explains why it didn't work after my initial setup:  this machine
has no internet connectivity allowed; it's internal LAN only.  I would
think it would be appropriate for the installer to give me a notice if
it was unable to download the tcnative.dll.  I had to manually copy it
over, and that's why I was asking where to find it and how to verify
that it was working.  Having it already in the install.exe would be even
better, IMO.

>>how can I verify that it is being used?
>>

>By default, there's an INFO message displayed if APR can't be found,

I saw that on my first startup, which is how I knew I needed to work on it.

>since there's a listener configured for it in server.xml.  The absence
>of the INFO message indicates that APR is in use.

That's what I wasn't sure about.

Thanks for the explanation.

RE: Location of APR Win32 binaries

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: David Kerber [mailto:dckerber@verizon.net]
> Subject: Re: Location of APR Win32 binaries
>
> Do I need to do something to tell it to be used?

Yes: when you run the .exe installer, you'll get a "Choose Components"
screen; the Tomcat box is gray, indicating that some pieces are not
enabled.  Open that up, and click the Native check box.  As Markus
pointed out, this initiates the download of the .dll, placing it in the
bin directory.

> how can I verify that it is being used?

By default, there's an INFO message displayed if APR can't be found,
since there's a listener configured for it in server.xml.  The absence
of the INFO message indicates that APR is in use.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

Re: Location of APR Win32 binaries

Posted by David Kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.
Thanks, Chuck; Do I need to do something to tell it to be used?  And if
not, how can I verify that it is being used?  I've checked in all my
tomcat logs (catalina, localhost, etc), and nothing mentions it.  Or
does it only give a notice when it fails?

Once again, I've checked the web site, and there is nothing that
explains it at this level that I can find.

Dave

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

[OT] Crystal balls (was: Re: Location of APR Win32 binaries)

Posted by Markus Schönhaber <ma...@schoenhaber.de>.
David Kerber wrote:

> Markus Schönhaber wrote:
> >David Kerber wrote:
> >>Thanks; how could I have found that from the main Tomcat site?  I
> >>followed the download links, and it didn't take me to that site...
> >
> >By simply using your crystal ball ;-)
>
> Unfortunately, it 's a windows-based crystal ball, and it crashed the
> other day, and I haven't been able to get it to boot again...  :-D

Hehe, make sure your crystal ball meets the Vista requirements for displaying
Aero. It will stay opaque otherwise...

Regards
  mks

Re: Location of APR Win32 binaries

Posted by David Kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.
Mladen Turk wrote:

> Markus Schönhaber wrote:
>
>> David Kerber wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks; how could I have found that from the main Tomcat site?  I
>>> followed the download links, and it didn't take me to that site...
>>

>> By simply using your crystal ball ;-)
>>

> Or you can read the documentation for a change ;)
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/apr.html
>
> <windows>
> Windows binaries are provided for tcnative-1,
> which is a statically compiled .dll which includes OpenSSL and APR.
> It can be downloaded from *here* as 32bit or AMD x86-64 binaries.
> </windows>
>
> The *here* is link to: http://tomcat.heanet.ie/native/
>
> Regards,
> Mladen.

I guess I'm just blind!  I read that page at least 3 times, but never
noticed that the "here" was a link.  I guess I need to change my browser
settings to make links stand out a bit more.

Tks!

Re: Location of APR Win32 binaries

Posted by Mladen Turk <ml...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.
Markus Schönhaber wrote:

>David Kerber wrote:
>

>>Thanks; how could I have found that from the main Tomcat site?  I
>>followed the download links, and it didn't take me to that site...
>>

>By simply using your crystal ball ;-)

Unfortunately, it 's a windows-based crystal ball, and it crashed the
other day, and I haven't been able to get it to boot again...  :-D

Thanks, though!

Posted by Markus Schönhaber <ma...@schoenhaber.de>.
David Kerber wrote:

> Thanks; how could I have found that from the main Tomcat site?  I
> followed the download links, and it didn't take me to that site...

By simply using your crystal ball ;-)

To be honest, I don't remember where I got this information from. Maybe
someone mentioned it on the users or the dev list. Or maybe I picked it up
from the installer sources.

Regards
  mks

Re: Location of APR Win32 binaries