Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Ruimo Uno <ru...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/16 17:01:02 UTC

Exception thrown in OGNL evaluation.

Hi,

I have submitted this to user list a few hours ago but finally, I
found the root cause of this issue. So, here I report it to dev list.
If an exception is thrown while OGNL expression evaluation such as in
the following scenario:

XXXAction
    public String getMessage() {
        throw new NullPointerException();
    }

XXX.jsp
  <s:property value="message"/>

The exception is wrapped in an OgnlException and re-thrown.  It is
caught in com.opensymphony.xwork2.util.CompoundRootAccessor.getProperty()
and wrapped in a XWorkException() and re-thrown.

    } catch (OgnlException e) {
        if (e.getReason() != null) {
            final String msg = "Caught an Ognl exception while getting
property " + name;
            throw new XWorkException(msg, e);
        }
    } catch (IntrospectionException e) {

Finally, it is caught in
com.opensymphony.xwork2.util.OgnlValueStack.findValue(String, Class)
and swallowed.

        } catch (Exception e) {
            logLookupFailure(expr, e);

            return findInContext(expr);
        } finally {

As a result, the upper layer does not receive any exception. So, no
exception handler is invoked even if it is registered. Moreover, in
'open session in view' pattern, since the upper layer are not notified
any error, the transaction is wrongly committed and it causes serious
problem.

I tried to add a catch clause for RuntimeException:

        } catch (RuntimeException e) {
            logLookupFailure(expr, e);
            throw e;
        } catch (Exception e) {
            logLookupFailure(expr, e);

            return findInContext(expr);
        } finally {

Yes, the exception is successfully thrown to the upper layer with this
code change. However, Struts shows 'java.io.IOException: Stream
closed:' on the browser. This message seems a bit confusing. and
difficult to realize what is actually happening (NPE is thrown). Does
anybody have better solution on this?

Ruimo Uno
(Shisei Hanai)

Re: Exception thrown in OGNL evaluation.

Posted by Ruimo Uno <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Rene,

2007/8/17, Rene Gielen <gi...@it-neering.net>:
> > You won't get NPE in this scenario. Ognl automatically create instance
> > for you. I believe you know about this feature.
> >

> Not when trying to read the property, only when applying values. The first
> invocation with null foo object will cause OGNL to try to read the
> property of the foo.name property and fail silently - no object will be
> created. This will happen when then parameters interceptor tries to apply
> values to the model (when invoking the save view)

Hmm, I am not sure I fully understand what you mean but I also talking
about applying the http request parameters into the model object. The
automatic instance creation is done inside the OGNL and the code chage
that I proposed in my first mail is not for OGNL but for XWork. You
can still happily use this convenient feature even with my code
change.

> > Closing the session should be fixed as a design bug. I agree with you
> > at this point. But in this case, the system should show an user
> > friendly 'sorry page' so that the user can perform appropriate action.
> > As we cannot take all bugs out of our system, need a sfety net. If
> > there is a network problem between ap server and db server, lazy
>
> but how could the fooService.getById(this.id), executed by the prepare or
> action method succeed and the lazy reference getter fail just a few
> millies later, when the session is still open???

Yes, it should be a rare case but there IS a possibility and also
there may be bugs around there and they may throw the
RuntimeException, such as NPE.

> Yes, but your display logic should not handle errors coming from business
> logic. That should always be done in the controller stack (action /
> interceptors), or even underlying layers if apply. This simply means
> moving error prone calls of the underlying layers to the controller, not
> the view. While JPA / Hibernate gives you the opportunity of doing lazy
> fetching of references (which is good, but very unique to ORM, but not to
> other service providers), it is not always the best pattern have the
> _view_ initialize the fetches you _know_ you will need...

I understand your design preference. It is sometimes preferable to
take easier design pattern such as dto pattern that never access db
while view rendering. The code may become a bit more redundant but it
should simplify the problem determination.

But I still wonder why XWork swallows the system error/runtime
excpetion if there is no meanig to do so. As I stated above, the
automatic instance creation won't be destroyed. Any other concers to
rethrow the system error/runtime exception to the upper layer?

Posted by Rene Gielen <gi...@it-neering.net>.
Am Fr, 17.08.2007, 11:28, schrieb Ruimo Uno:
> Rane,
>
> 2007/8/17, Rene Gielen <gi...@it-neering.net>:
>> Ruimo,
>>
>> see below
>>
>> Ruimo Uno schrieb:
>> > Hi, thanks for your comment.

>> > I feel it is overkill. The property getters in action classes may
>> > throw RuntimeException because of programming bugs. Even in this case,
>> > the current implementation just ignore the exception and the shown
>> > page will be just corrupted. We cannot show user friendly 'sorry page'
>> > because the Struts exception handler cannot get exception.
>> >

>> You would not be able to use the most common use patterns without having
>> to do exepction handling on the JSP page then! Think of a model object
>> foo with a getter getFoo() in your a FooCrudAction. You have an
>> editFoo.jsp. If you want to create a new foo entry, the sequence would
>> be
>> - invoke edit/create action, triggering execute() in FooCrudAction
>> - render editFoo.jsp
>> - submit form
>> - invoke save action, triggering save() in FooCrudAction
>> - on success, render editFoo.jsp
>>
>> if ognl would not swallow the exceptions, then placing simple tag like
>> <s:textfield label="'Name'" name="foo.name" />
>> would fail with NPE in first rendering if you did not provide a
>> (unnecessary) this.foo=new Foo() in your execute() method, or a lazy
>> getter. Just a simple example. But if you would change this behaviour,
>> the showcase app code would need approximately an additional 10-15% more
>> code just for doing unneeded initializations and exception handling.
>
> You won't get NPE in this scenario. Ognl automatically create instance
> for you. I believe you know about this feature.

Not when trying to read the property, only when applying values. The first
invocation with null foo object will cause OGNL to try to read the
property of the foo.name property and fail silently - no object will be
created. This will happen when then parameters interceptor tries to apply
values to the model (when invoking the save view)

>> What if the execption is thrown? It will be thrown within JSP page
>> handling, and swallowed there! Your OpenSessionInView Interceptor or any
>> higher level layer would take no notice of the exception. Instead you
>> would have to use the anti-pattern of exception handliing with in JSP
>> code to present useful information.
>
> In the API specification for PageContext.handleException() states the
> following:
>
> ---
> If no error page is defined in the page, the exception should be
> rethrown so that the standard servlet error handling takes over.
> ---
>
> If my understanding is correct, the exception should be rethrown and
> the servlet layer can handle it.

good point, my fault. But nevertheless, your controller should be
responsible for deciding what to present, and where to dispatch to. This
is commonly done with either having your action method return results
other than "success" (eg. "error" then) or having your interceptor change
the result after dealing with the exception.

Germany      | gielen at it-neering.net

Re: Exception thrown in OGNL evaluation.

Posted by Ruimo Uno <ru...@gmail.com>.
Rane,

Posted by Rene Gielen <gi...@it-neering.net>.
Ruimo,

see below

Germany      | gielen at it-neering.net

Re: Exception thrown in OGNL evaluation.

Posted by Ruimo Uno <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi, thanks for your comment.

Posted by Rene Gielen <gi...@it-neering.net>.
It's no bug, it's a feature...

The policy for model access (e.g. property calls) via expression
evaluation is fail silent. It would cause tons of exceptions if ognl
expression evaluation / property access would not swallow them.

The business logic access methods of your action, such as prepare(),
execute(), save(), delete()... _do_ pop any unhadled exception to the
upper layer, which is perfectly suitable for transaction handling.

Germany      | gielen at it-neering.net