Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Sumpter, Chuck" <ch...@lmco.com> on 2004/06/02 22:15:29 UTC

Multiple Tomcat 5 Instances on a Win2k Server

We've been running Tomcat4.1.27 for some time using from 5 - 10 rack type
Win2k servers, JK2, Resonate and SiteMinder in production.

I'm working with Tomcat5.0.25, and there are big differences in the way
multiple instances deploy on a single server.  For example:  the same war on
tomcat 1 will deploy it's context xml snippet in /conf/Catalina/localhost
along with manager, examples and whatever else I elected in the install.

Tomcat's 2 and 3 do not deploy the xml for the various contexts at all.  If
I copy in the xml from Tomcat1 and edit any path specific "stuff" that will
resolve the surface problem.

This behavior seems to imply that Tomcat 5 is not intended for this
particular "brute force" method of scaling. I would like to continue the
multiple instance scenario, since jk2's failover capabilities let us fix
things that break without taking the entire server out of the mix.   Any
thoughts?

Regards,

Chuck Sumpter