Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Tomek <to...@wp.pl> on 2019/10/21 10:48:05 UTC

Re: [Discussion] Introduction of Bootstrap and Vue.js

Hi everyone,

I consider to use Apache Ofbiz because it seems very good solution but I
agree that the UI of the project is not modern. I think that the
proposed features like REST API and modern UI based on Bootstrap and
Vue.js are great things and it is sensible way to improve Ofbiz. I'm
looking forward to the above features and I would like to ask when it
will be done?

Tomek

Re: [Discussion] Introduction of Bootstrap and Vue.js

Posted by Olivier Heintz <ol...@ofbizextra.org>.
Hi Tomek,

Nobody in a community base project can answers to "when it will be done".
Some people in the community work on implementing all that is needed to have a complete REST API but for all of them, most of time, customer priority
is not the same as community priority, so it will be done when it will be done, but be sure it's one of the OFBiz community priority.

Currently we (me and others colleges in company I am working for) are working on a POC for using Vue.js as GUI generated from the current
screens/forms/menu xml ofbiz files.

The customer goals is to be able to migrate a lot of existing Portal / portlet developed with ofbiz R13.07 on trunk and on a modern GUI.

I will present this POC in a few days to the community, and it's a POC, the choices for realizing it are maybe no the corrects ones, but it's possible
to discuss about real demonstration, not only concept.
As it's a POC, it's clearly not an answer to "does the community will create a GUI with Vue.js and when".

For the POC we have used example component to demonstrate a rendering of most of classical ofbiz form field / menu.
One week ago, in the POC presentation with the customer, he asked us to have a more "modern UI" and so developers have changed the template
from "ofbiz - html" to using vuetify lib.
It's really better.

This POC consist of three ofbiz plugins :
* vusjsportal : all vuejs components and new handler and new renderers
* examplefjs : specifics files for the ofbiz example component using vue.js
* flatgreyfjs : dedicated theme for vue.js with vuetify

In the next mail I will detail major principles used and will give access to a demo.

Olivier