Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by David Melgar <dm...@us.ibm.com> on 2001/03/05 17:30:18 UTC

Client handlers

Peter came up with a good question...
In AXIS, is there a concept of a client side handler? Most of the design
and code that I've skimmed so far seems to deal exclusively with the server
side. Now that AXIS is going to have a seperate small client jar file, is
there an extension mechanism on the client to plug in the corresponding
client side of handlers installed on the server. ie if someone adds an
encryption handler, there could be a client side to prompt/generate keys
and encrypt the msg.
The current sample utilizes hardcoded fields within HTTPCall for
authorization. Seems like future handlers would require a more extensible
mechanism.

Re: Client handlers

Posted by Glen Daniels <gd...@allaire.com>.
The AXIS extensibility model (Handlers, Chains, etc) is for both the client
and the server sides.  We definitely plan for clients to be able to use
Handlers, configured at both run-time and deployment-time.  Both sides use
the "AxisEngine" as their entry point into the system.

--Glen