Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2012/07/27 00:01:35 UTC

conventions for naming release artifacts for apache mirroring

I thought it would be useful to discuss / clarify / get consensus around our
naming approach for release artifacts.  Currently there are 2 destinations for
releases:  one is the Apache mirroring system, the other is Maven Central.
Maven has its own naming conventions, so this note is only for the Apache
mirroring system.

The different dimensions of releases:

  component
    major: uimaj, uima-ccp, uima-as, add-ons
    minor: (if we release individual add-ons:  the add-on artifact name)
  version (e.g. 2.4.0, 2.3.1, ...)
  kind of release (source, binary)
    Subcategories:  kind of OS (linux/windows/mac, 32/64 bit)
  kind of packaging of file (tar, zip, bzip2 (not used anymore I think))
  Special files
    ReleaseNotes - linked to from site website (also in src/bin distr pkgs)
    issuesFixed/ - a folder of the jira-report.html + css styling files (also in
src/bin distr pkgs)

To organize these, our current convention seems to be to map these dimensions to
a folder/file hierarchy, as follows:

  folder named <major-component-<version>>  e.g. uimaj-2.4.0
    a set of files making up the release, following apache/maven naming conventions:
      e.g.

<artifact-name>-<version>-<bin/source-release>.<kind-of-zip/tar>.<optional:asc/md5/sha2>
        <artifact-name>-<version>.pom<.optional-asc-signing>
    the issuesFixed/ directory
    the RELEASE_NOTES.html file

  [future possiblity, if we release individual add-on projects]
  addons
    folder named as above, but with an addon component name: e.g.
DictionaryAnnotator-2.4.0

      By putting the addons under a directory we:
        collect them out of the main folder (maybe reducing clutter)
        indicate they belong to addons

In addition there are special other folders/files in the mirror system, just at
the top level:
Special packagings:
  Eclipse update site
Special files:
  KEYS - (note: keys are here for anyone browsing the dist/uima dir)

The following files are not on the mirror system:
  special Docs for a release that are linked from the website - they are part of
our website storage:
    (recent) Javadocs
    Docbook outputs (PDFs and HTMLs)

If this layout doesn't match our current conventions, please reply.
If this layout should be improved, please discuss.
Otherwise, it would help if you would please say +1 :-).  Once we have a
consensus, I'll update our website with this.

-Marshall

Re: conventions for naming release artifacts for apache mirroring

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
+1