Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> on 2006/01/17 15:15:40 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Multiple uses in the same HTTPS virtualhost

On 1/17/06, Dave Turvene <dt...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Q1: How efficient is the RewriteCond?  In another case I had three RewriteCond
> directives on a RewriteRule with no apparent impact but the server was not being
> heavily hit.

The RewriteCond effect will be negligible in comparison to the
resource usage involved in proxying.  It is simply one regex, compared
to generating a whole new request to a different server.  If you are
concerned about resource usage, the first thing to look at is if the
proxy is really necessary, and if it could be cached at the proxy
server.

> Q2: Name-based hosting is the obvious choice, but HTTPS doesn't
> allow it.  Is there a better way to do this, i.e. different handling for incoming
> HTTPS requests to the same server?

It depends on what exactly you mean by "different handling".  There is
no general answer to that question.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Multiple uses in the same HTTPS virtualhost

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 1/18/06, Dave Turvene <dt...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Yeah, I should have been a little less vague.  Here's the
> "different handling" part: 1) Apache to serve some pages for
> a subversion interface and 2) Apache to proxy some requests
> to the CMS server - both over the same SSL Virtual Host.
>
> My guess is from what you're saying, that the RewriteCond is
> probably a clean way to do this. At least it's not obfuscated.

Yes, it's fine.  You could probably alternatively use
ProxyPass /svn !
ProxyPass / http://othersite/
which avoids mod_rewrite.

Joshua.

[users@httpd] Re: Multiple uses in the same HTTPS virtualhost

Posted by Dave Turvene <dt...@comcast.net>.
Joshua Slive <joshua <at> slive.ca> writes:

> On 1/17/06, Dave Turvene <dturvene <at> comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > Q1: How efficient is the RewriteCond?  In another case I
had three RewriteCond
> > directives on a RewriteRule with no apparent impact but the
server was not being
> > heavily hit.
>
> The RewriteCond effect will be negligible in comparison to the
> resource usage involved in proxying.  It is simply one regex,
compared
> to generating a whole new request to a different server.  If you
are
> concerned about resource usage, the first thing to look at is
if the
> proxy is really necessary, and if it could be cached at the proxy
> server.

Thanks, that makes sense.  I'm running a Content Management System
(CMS) behind Apache and need Apache for SSL, ACL, and other TLAs