Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Sagar Khetkade <sa...@hotmail.com> on 2008/04/11 08:09:23 UTC

chaching and indexes in Solr

Hello,     I have a hands on both Lucene and Solr. The difference betweenthese two search engines are explained to some extend, still havingsome query on these. I am in need to know 1. The difference between caching of Lucene and Solr index files. 2. As Solr is built on Lucene, is the index file of Solr similar to that of Lucene. 3. Is there any provision in Solr to index the complete repository/directory as that of Lucene. Thanks in advance.
Tried the new MSN Messenger? It’s cool! Download now.
http://messenger.msn.com/Download/Default.aspx?mkt=en-in

Re: chaching and indexes in Solr

Posted by Mike Klaas <mi...@gmail.com>.
On 10-Apr-08, at 11:09 PM, Sagar Khetkade wrote:
> Hello,     I have a hands on both Lucene and Solr. The difference
> betweenthese two search engines are explained to some extend, still
> havingsome query on these. I am in need to know 1. The difference
> between caching of Lucene and Solr index files. 2. As Solr is built
> on Lucene, is the index file of Solr similar to that of Lucene. 3.
> Is there any provision in Solr to index the complete repository/
> directory as that of Lucene. Thanks in advance.

Solr and Lucene are not competitors.

Lucene: A full-text indexing java library to which you add data and
perform queries programmatically.

Solr: A search service to which you add data and perform queries via
an http interface.  Solr uses Lucene under-the-hood, and adds a
multitude of management features on top of it (xml-configured schema,
advanced caching, faceting, IndexSearch management).  You can open and
manipulate Solr indices with Lucene, and serve Lucene-built indices
with Solr (assuming you are using compatible versions).

I'm not sure what you mean by "Is there any provision in Solr to index
the complete repository/directory as that of Lucene."

-Mike