Posted to c-users@xerces.apache.org by "Pieper, Aaron" <Pi...@Pragmatics.com> on 2011/04/07 17:40:16 UTC

Xerces builds - Why don't they include line number attributes?

Hello,

Is it possible that when building Xerces builds for Java in the future,
you could turn the line number attributes on? It makes it easier for
developers to set breakpoints and trace through code. Currently, any
Java stack traces involving xerces look something like this (with line
number information not available):

org.apache.xerces.impl.xs.XMLSchemaLoader.loadGrammar(XMLInputSource[])
line: not available

org.apache.xerces.jaxp.validation.XMLSchemaFactory.newSchema(Source[])
line: not available

org.springframework.xml.validation.SchemaLoaderUtils.loadSchema(Resource
[], String) line: 73

org.springframework.xml.validation.Jaxp13ValidatorFactory.createValidato
r(Resource[], String) line: 40

You can see that the SpringFramework JARs include line numbers, making
their code easier to trace; the Xerces JARs do not, which means we can
only see the class/method names. The last time I built Xerces, I
remember this behavior was already integrated into the Xerces build, but
was disabled by default. Not sure if this is by design or simply an
oversight. Maybe it should be enabled by default, or maybe whatever
process or person builds these final releases could be updated/educated
to include this flag?

Thanks,

- Aaron

RE: Xerces builds - Why don't they include line number attributes?

Posted by "Pieper, Aaron" <Pi...@Pragmatics.com>.
My mistake, thanks for your patience.

- Aaron

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.