Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Ramasubramanian Narayanan <ra...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/07 17:20:34 UTC

Question related to Number of Mapper

Hi,

If a  Custer’s HDFS block size is 64MB. You have a directory containing 100
plain text files, each of which Is 100MB in size. The InputFormat for your
job is TextInputFormat. How many Mappers will run?

regards,
Rams

Re: Question related to Number of Mapper

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
The larger question is how many blocks are required to store a 100MB file if the HDFS block size is 64MB.

If it takes 2 blocks then when you run your job, you will have 1 mapper per block, unless the file is not splittable. (But from your example its a simple text file which is splittable.)

Again, where are you getting these questions?

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Ramasubramanian Narayanan <ra...@gmail.com>.