Posted to user@mesos.apache.org by Damien GERARD <da...@iwi.me> on 2021/03/01 01:05:28 UTC

Re: Feature requests for Mesos

On 2021-02-28 05:38 PM, Qian Zhang wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> To reboot this awesome project, I'd like to collect feature requests
> for Mesos. Please let us know your requirements for Mesos and whether
> you or your organization would like to contribute to the
> implementation of the requirements. Thanks!

We can already summarize what has been said in previous discussions,
mainly
making mesos easier to deploy / maintain, and my personal one, with more
batteries included by default.
There are also several ways of improvements, especially regarding GPU
support,
numa, ZFS integration, volume management...

But first, reducing the effort to have a fully functional mesos cluster
would be to me, one of the priorities (and also targeting local
development
like minimesos was trying to achieve)

--
Damien GERARD

RE: Feature requests for Mesos

Posted by Chris Holman <Ch...@eu.medical.canon>.
>On 2021-02-28 05:38 PM, Qian Zhang wrote:
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> To reboot this awesome project, I'd like to collect feature requests
>> for Mesos. Please let us know your requirements for Mesos and whether
>> you or your organization would like to contribute to the
>> implementation of the requirements. Thanks!
>
>We can already summarize what has been said in previous discussions, mainly making mesos easier to deploy / maintain, and my personal one, with more batteries included by default.
>There are also several ways of improvements, especially regarding GPU support, numa, ZFS integration, volume management...
>
>But first, reducing the effort to have a fully functional mesos cluster would be to me, one of the priorities (and also targeting local development like minimesos was trying to achieve)
>

>--
>Damien GERARD

Ease of install is definitely something that would make it easier for others to use and experiment with Mesos.

I've just been through the process of setting up a Mesos cluster and it's definitely a right-of-passage.
Not a particularly fun experience, but primarily because I wanted ssl enabled.
I'm using an Ansible playbook to deploy a Linux/Windows Mesos cluster for a Jenkins Build Farm.

I've made a few local mods to:
* Mesos to support Windows and ssl (not complete)
* Jenkins Mesos Plugin (and mesos-usi) to support reusable Agents and Mesos attribute operators i.e. match Mesos offers with an attribute version [lt|le|gt|eq|ne|ge|gt] '2.2.2'

Regards, Chris

Re: Feature requests for Mesos

Posted by Abel Souza <ab...@cs.umu.se>.
+1 HPC support, but this requires NUMA support and cgroup features, besides easier to write modules for new scheduling techniques (beyond DRF).

/Abel

Posted by Damien GERARD <da...@iwi.me>.

--
Damien GERARD

RE: Feature requests for Mesos

Posted by Marc <Ma...@f1-outsourcing.eu>.
> What is the estimated size of such a team? And is there any data
> available how many man hours were committed by mesosphere the last year
> or so?

If questions are raised about creating a proper support base for the future development of mesos. Is it not relevant to have some numbers on what mesossphere/id2q spend on this the last 3 years or so?

RE: Feature requests for Mesos

Posted by Marc <Ma...@f1-outsourcing.eu>.

Posted by Charles-François Natali <cf...@gmail.com>.
I think it's fair, but it would be nice if the current committers could
reach a consensus on the way forward: either be willing to help new
contributors get up to speed - with the caveats mentioned - or move the
project to the Attic, so that interested people can try to
maintain/continue its development outside of the ASF. The current state of
the project being in limbo is quite sad and prevents any work from being
done.
These email threads started 3 weeks ago and so far nothing concrete has
been done, at least from an outsider point of view.

Cheers,

Charles

Posted by Marc <Ma...@f1-outsourcing.eu>.

> Under the current circumstances, this, in my view, means that Mesos
> has no long-term prospects unless it manages to shift to a
> niche/role/direction in which the problems cannot be reasonably solved
> by the Kubernetes-style cluster orchestration.

If I read (outdated?) articles such as these[1] I wonder how currently mesos compares to kubernetes. Has kubernetes developed into the direction of mesos. Here they seem to be pretty pleased about the scheduler functionality of mesos.

[1]
https://www.stratoscale.com/blog/kubernetes/kubernetes-vs-mesos-architects-perspective/

Re: Feature requests for Mesos

Posted by Andrei Sekretenko <as...@gmail.com>.