Posted to dev@jclouds.apache.org by Ignasi Barrera <ig...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/02 00:00:50 UTC

Improve jclouds site content

Hi jcloudies!

We've recently started a discussion about the contents in
http://jclouds.apache.org

It would be great if we could discuss the things to improve to make
the site better and make it easier for newcomers to approach jclouds.
Let's do some brainstorming and see what we can do!

My opinion is that the current content doesn't help people approaching
jclouds: documentation is hard to find, and there are many obsolete
pages.

IMO the site should have a simple landing page (as it has now), with
the following sections:

* Getting started: Should explain the concepts: contexts, providers,
apis, locations, but not many more. We should keep it simple. Also
should contain a few links to other topics such as compute/blobstore
description, logging, configuration and basic code examples. But
keeping everything simple, basic and short/concise. This is what 99%
of people approaching jclouds looks for, so let's put that in the
getting started page and keep it simple.
* Provider user guides: I like the current format. Just explain the
provider specific apis with examples
* Community: Links to the ML, Jira, etc.
* Blog.

I really think we should revisit and simplify the entire site. Remove
the obsolete documents and those too specific, and keep the site with
simple docs of common code that help understanding the core concepts
and how jclouds works. I'm sure that would help adoption?

WDYT? Any other vision of how the site should be? Can we coordinate
and start together a documentation effort?

Ignasi

Re: Improve jclouds site content

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <ig...@gmail.com>.
I've started a "rebranding" branch in GitHub so we can all start the
rebranding effort together.
I've opened an initial PR [1], to be able to discuss the new design
and layout, and redesign the site together.

If you want, we can use that PR to iterate the new design until it is
complete. Thanks to the Rackspace CDN we'll be able to see the
evolution, so I think that would be a great way to improve the site in
a collaborative way.

Everett, I've just added Bootstrap and configured the main layouts,
but feel free to commit directly with your ideas!

Let's get the new site moving!

[1] https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/51

>>> http://lesscss.org/

>>> http://nodejs.org/
>>> https://www.ruby-lang.org/

>>> http://cordova.apache.org/
>>> http://shiro.apache.org/
>>> http://akka.io/

>>> http://www.getchef.com/

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <ig...@gmail.com>.

>>> http://lesscss.org/

>>> http://nodejs.org/
>>> https://www.ruby-lang.org/

>>> http://cordova.apache.org/
>>> http://shiro.apache.org/
>>> http://akka.io/

>>> http://www.getchef.com/

Posted by Zack Shoylev <za...@RACKSPACE.COM>.

Posted by Zack Shoylev <za...@RACKSPACE.COM>.

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Max Lincoln <ml...@thoughtworks.com>.

Posted by Zack Shoylev <za...@RACKSPACE.COM>.
I think reducing clicks is a very good idea and a good place to start. I would leave the video and bootstrap for last.
However: if doing content and design changes at the same time will save any work,  do that :)

Posted by Max Lincoln <ml...@thoughtworks.com>.

Posted by Zack Shoylev <za...@RACKSPACE.COM>.